• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Drip rail

franklinair

I just saw an ad for the aluminum strips that were installed in the drip rails for vinyl top coupes. A little pricey, but for someone in need its the first I've seen this part available. Mustangs Etcetera, Van Nuys, CA

Neil

wallace

Retainer Strips for Cougar

I know these were on 1967-68 Cougar but I have never seen them on Mustangs. My vinyl top on my 68 GTCS was original and when we removed it these were not present.

Has anybody seen them on 67-68 Mustangs as well?

Wally

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I have seen them on a '68 coupe. A telltale sign, if they were ever installed would be the pop rivet holes in the drip rail.

Neil

Ricky Knapik

They are on my car. I am told by the guy that restored it that they were on the car. I have been told they are near impossible to find!

Ruppstang

Most 67-68 Mustang that had vinyl roof had the retainers. There were two types the kind that Neil is talking about that pop riveted in, and a Stainless one that was installed after the top was sealed and used no rivets. That one is much less common but looks nicer.

CaliStang68

Vinyl Top car

They are on my car. I am told by the guy that restored it that they were on the car. I have been told they are near impossible to find!

Hi name is Rick. Can I get a pic of these retainers that holds down your vinyl top.

Thank you.
Rick

robert campbell

My GT/CS with a vinyl top had these retainers on it. I felt that they were stainless but were riveted on? I can still get a pick of them if needed. They had two rivets. One in the back near the bottom of the drip rail and one in the front in a similar place.

Rob

CaliStang68

Vinyl Top Retainers

Most 67-68 Mustang that had vinyl roof had the retainers. There were two types the kind that Neil is talking about that pop riveted in, and a Stainless one that was installed after the top was sealed and used no rivets. That one is much less common but looks nicer.

Hi Marty,

You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? I have been looking for a long time for these retainers. My car is weird I fear, it only has one hole on both ends of the drip rails nothing on top of the drip rails. Only one on each side by the outside mirrors and one on each side by the 1/4 windows.

Thanks
Rick

CaliStang68

My GT/CS with a vinyl top had these retainers on it. I felt that they were stainless but were riveted on? I can still get a pick of them if needed. They had two rivets. One in the back near the bottom of the drip rail and one in the front in a similar place.

Rob

Yes please Rob a picture would be great. I also only have two rivets like you.

Thanks
Rick

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Yep. That's the vendor & part. Kinda pricey, $80 + $30 shipping.

Neil

Ruppstang

Rob

They did not all ways have the rivets. I think the rivets were a fix for loose ends. This style was nice looking but problematic, possibly why there were not may of them used.

I had some picture but lost then when I had a hard drive crash.

Ricky Knapik

How's this

Attachments

• drip rail 1.jpg
    drip rail 1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 63
  • drip rail 2.jpg
    drip rail 2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 65
  • drip rail 3.jpg
    drip rail 3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 61
  • drip rail 4.jpg
    drip rail 4.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 58
  • drip rail 5.jpg
    drip rail 5.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 51

CaliStang68

They did not all ways have the rivets. I think the rivets were a fix for loose ends. This style was nice looking but problematic, possibly why there were not may of them used.

I had some picture but lost then when I had a hard drive crash.

Marty,

Any idea why some have multi-rivets and some only have two? could it be a 1968 thing vice 1967? Thanks.

Rick

Ruppstang

Marty,

Any idea why some have multi-rivets and some only have two? could it be a 1968 thing vice 1967? Thanks.

Rick

I am not sure but thought the two rivet style was the external SS one?
We do not see very many original vinyl roofs.

Marty

Ricky Knapik

I didn't even know it was there until someone with more knowledge than me pointed it out. They were intrigued by it and studied it for a while. It's pretty tight and from what I can tell does the job. It's getting close to 8 years since resto