• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Silver grill paint needed UPDATED!!!!!!

390cs68rcode

I have my grille out to replace the moldinds so I thought I would repaint it as well. I have gone through Paul's book and found the colors to use as:

Duplicolor Tornado Silver # 99-01106
Dupont 9426
Ditzler/PPG DDL 32930

Duplicolor states they no longer make this color and I cannot find the Dupont color anywhere. I have found a place that can match the Ditzler but they are kinda expensive.

Anyone have a current color code from Duplicolor or another easy to find color that is "correct"?

thank you for your help.

68gt390 found this!!!!!!!!!

the best paint site I have ever seen. don't pass this one up.

http://www.ppgcarpaint.com/index.php

Russ

Re:Silver grill paint needed

I don't think the grill is silver, but a dark argent. Check out your post on painting the grill trim. Russ

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Russ link=board=1;threadid=1397;start=0#msg8125 date=1108048491]
I don't think the grill is silver, but a dark argent. Check out your post on painting the grill trim. Russ
[/quote]

Quotes from Pauls' second book:

grille section
"During the past many years, many grilles have been either replaced with innaccurate 68 standard grilles or painted completely black by owners-reflected in the GT/CS registry. Many front end accidents, and unknowing dealers and repair shops have made this mistake."

further down

4. "With all the rivet holes drilled and filed smooth, paint the grille and brackets seperately. The "dark grey metallic" color originally used is still available from your local automotive paint store and require a spray gun."

back to the original question: Anyone know where to find the grill color.

Mosesatm

Jason, I have an automotive paint gun you can use if you need one.

Arlie

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1397;start=0#msg8127 date=1108053839]
Jason, I have an automotive paint gun you can use if you need one.

Arlie
[/quote]

thanks

I have some of the Ditzler paint coming for the molding but did not realize when I contacted them that I needed it for a spray. I will have to brush on the molding paint but want to find a spray can for the grille.

Mosesatm

At most paint stores you can buy a little bottle with a CO2 cartridge attached. They cost very little and make the perfect tool for spraying small items. Home Depot or Lowes might even carry them.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1397;start=0#msg8129 date=1108059786]
At most paint stores you can buy a little bottle with a CO2 cartridge attached. They cost very little and make the perfect tool for spraying small items. Home Depot or Lowes might even carry them.
[/quote]

Do you think this would work with the paint I have coming? The paint place I ordered this paint from specifically asked if I was spraying the paint and I said no.

Mosesatm

It is possible to spray any paint. All you need to know is what to thin it out with; thinner (lacquer), reducer (enamel), or water (latex). Your supplier may add a retarder to the paint if he knows you are going to brush it on. That way the paint takes longer to dry and flows better.

PFSlim

On this site (at one time) someone posted the color and place to purchase the grill paint in a rattle can. That is what I did and the color was great.

Paul

68gt390

Go to page 13 of site and you'll see a posting by RacingFan in regards to correct paint for grille moldings. It is the correct paint - I used it on my grille and it turned out great. It is ppg code 32930. Check out the posting it gives you the web address at which to order.

Don ;D

P

PNewitt

In my 1988 edition, I only mentioned that you need a sprayer, because the paint was only available (at that time) in a can from Ditzler.

There MUST be a comparable off-the-shelf dark grey metallic available today from local auto parts stores. Right now, I don't know, but will check it out for the new book. A lot can happen in 27 years with paint!

Remember that the grille moldings as well as the grille itself are the same color.

Paul N.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1397;start=0#msg8141 date=1108090042]
In my 1988 edition, I only mentioned that you need a sprayer, because the paint was only available (at that time) in a can from Ditzler.

There MUST be a comparable off-the-shelf dark grey metallic available today from local auto parts stores. Right now, I don't know, but will check it out for the new book. A lot can happen in 27 years with paint!

Remember that the grille moldings as well as the grille itself are the same color.

Paul N.

[/quote]

I am glad I did find the website above. looks like they will match the Ditzler color. paint is on the way.