• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Correct grille color?

Edward Bodoh

I have removed my grille and am looking for the correct color to repaint it in a spray can? If they make them? I checked old threads and couldn't seem to nail down the specific answer I need. Guessing I will have to order online or does any chain auto or paint store carry this...also tips on grille prep would help. No rust and grille is virtually straight.

Thanks, Ivy rED here.

dalorzo_f

As the ones noted are not avaialable here I found a OEM Ford color a local auto parts store could mix up in a rattle can. Dark Titanum Metallic, I think it was a 80's or 90's color they pulled off thier system.

lnevill

I find the Dupli-color Cast Coat Iron engine enamel (DE 1651) in the rattle can to be an excellent match and it is readily available at all the local parts stores.

Lee

franklinair

I'm not familiar with the Dupli color cast coat. How close is it in matching the 2 colors in Arlie's post? Most agree that the SEM30263 or NPD's AP-SSW is the way to go.

Neil

lnevill

Can't really comment on how close it is to the other colors mentioned without a side by side comparison, but here is my repo grille painted with the dupli color.

Lee

Attachments

• rivets top.jpg
    rivets top.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 39

Mosesatm

Marty,
Do you deduct points if the paint color is a little off?

Ruppstang

In the Concours classes if it was noticeably off I might deduct -1. Exact colors back to original are tough with todays paints. Base coat clear coat just looks different than enamel. 1968 Thoroughbred class you must use enamel paint. Much of what is put in rattle cans is not close.
Marty

Mosesatm

NPD now sells GT/CS grille paint.

Mustang GRILLE PAINT Dark Titanium satin finish
AP-GPCS