• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Ebay: 1968 Mustang GT/CS Original/Used Early Fiberglass Trunk Lid

68sunlitgold

I saw this on ebay being sold by Branda Performance. It states it is an 'early' fiberglass trunk lid for a GT/CS since it has the hand laid fiberglass and no trunk lid light. I had never heard of 'early hand laid fiberglass' on the '68 Shelby or GT/CSs, but could this be one of the '67 or early '68 convertible Shelby prototype trunklids?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Mustan...d-/231521849284?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Doug

Attachments

• trunklid.jpg
    trunklid.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 78
  • trunklidb.jpg
    trunklidb.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 64
  • trunklidc.jpg
    trunklidc.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 61

CougarCJ

I checked my Feb 5 built GT/CS, and it also has the rough texture in the triangles on the bottom. I learned something new today.

robert campbell

I sanded on mine. It is rough and I thought they all were this way? Do we have a pick of a smoother one?

Mine also has the hole for the light.

Rob

rvrtrash

Mine, well Don's (vetteslick) that is currently in my possession, has the rough texture and the rectangular hole for the trunk light, but of course, no trunk light.

Steve

OP
OP
68sunlitgold

68sunlitgold

Rob,
here is what the correct texture for the back side of the trunk.

Doug

Attachments

• correct texture.jpg
    correct texture.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01508a.jpg
    DSC01508a.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 78

68gulfstream

Does it have the hole for the light?

Do all the originals have that? I'm looking at another car and the deck lid texture looks right but it doesn't have a circular hole on the passenger side for the trunk light.

I've been searching through the site but can't really find an answer. I see some decklids shown as original that don't have those holes.

Mosesatm

It’s a rectangular hole that faces the front of the car. As far as I know all deck lids should have the hole, but as with anything Mustang-related I can't swear to it. Ford did some goofy stuff back then.

Attachments

• Deck Lid Light Hole.jpg
    Deck Lid Light Hole.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

68gulfstream

Thanks Arlie. Now I understand. I see that rectangular cutout on the driver side near the trunk latch.

I was thinking about this circular hole referenced in the book. Most of the decklids I've been looking at that I think are original, don't seem to have this circular hole.

IMG_6389.jpg

stangfan

I just looked at mine. Where the hole is where the wiring is shown, my car has a smaller hole, like the lower one in your picture, 68gulfstream. I believe the larger hole and wiring would be on a Shelby.

Tequila

Mine has an indent in the area where the hole should be.

Attachments

• Mustang lid.jpg
    Mustang lid.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 51

CaliStang68

Do all the originals have that? I'm looking at another car and the deck lid texture looks right but it doesn't have a circular hole on the passenger side for the trunk light.

I've been searching through the site but can't really find an answer. I see some decklids shown as original that don't have those holes.

I have a July car and don't have any holes for anything. But it does have the texture.

CaliStang68

I saw this on ebay being sold by Branda Performance. It states it is an 'early' fiberglass trunk lid for a GT/CS since it has the hand laid fiberglass and no trunk lid light. I had never heard of 'early hand laid fiberglass' on the '68 Shelby or GT/CSs, but could this be one of the '67 or early '68 convertible Shelby prototype trunklids?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Mustan...d-/231521849284?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Doug

Tony Branda sells things that he claims are for Shelby's and CS or HC and states they are correct when they are not. Case in point I asked him a question on E-bay about some fog light covers he was selling, we got into a heated debate because he claimed they were correct and clearly they were not. I guess he got insulted because I called him out and asked me to stop emailing him and I asked him to stop lying. So do your due diligence with that guy.

nvr-enuf

I have one just like the one on Ebay - I went round and round with the guy I bought it from since he states it is original whereas when I contacted Branda with pictures, they did not want to talk to me at all. I am glad to see that Branda has come out and said the hairy bottom is early original. I will be listing my on ebay in the next couple of weeks. If a member is interested in purchasing, please contact me. You learn something new everyday, no matter how smart you think you are.