• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Scott Drake Lower Control Arms

Mosesatm

I figured this was as good a time as any to finally replace my lower control arms. They've been sitting in a box for months and I have a few days off so what the heck, it'll only take a couple hours.

After removing the passenger side arm I compared the new Scott Drake replacement to it and take a look at what I found. It looks to me like the bushing seat is installed upside-down on the wrong side of the arm!!!!:mad::mad::mad: Both arms have the same apparent problem.

Lesson learned; If you replace your suspension parts please make sure the new parts are correct.

Attachments

• Scott Drake Lower Control Arm Crap.jpg
    Scott Drake Lower Control Arm Crap.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Scott Drake Lower Control Arm Crap 2.jpg
    Scott Drake Lower Control Arm Crap 2.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Scott Drake Lower Control Arm Crap 3.jpg
    Scott Drake Lower Control Arm Crap 3.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Ruppstang

I had heard that there was problems with them but did not know what they were. I have found many of the Scott Drake products to be quility suspect. I think went for the money and took his manufacturing to China and gave up the quility that gave him his start. Thanks for the tip. Marty

GT/CS S Code

Have to admit that we were wondering the same thing.
This past year we bought a complete set of rebuild parts for our big block power steering, but after the car was torn half apart we found that most of the parts wouldn't fit. Hoses were wrong lengths or wrong contours and a couple of the brackets wouldn't fit properly either. Most of the brand new parts we were supplied with by the distributor were all in Scott Drake packaging ...
We had to put most of the old steering components back into the car to make it road worthy for our trip up to Kamloops last August for their "Hot Nites" event.
To say the least we were not amused, and do not look forward to having to pull all the front end apart again this year to finally do the job properly. What a waste of time and hard earned money.
I have serious doubts about whether we would want ANY Scott Drake packaged parts ever again!
(Just my two cents worth ...)
:mad:

earlymustang

It looks like you are comparing an older reproduction to the Drake unit and not an OEM unit and that is not a fair thing to do. I am not standing up for Drake parts but you need to be fair about your accusations.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Why is it not fair? It's showing correct vs. incorrect. The Drake part is incorrect and cannot be used.

If I remember correctly the Scott Drake arm was purchased less than a year old and the Grab-A-Trak arm is probably 3 years old.

hookedtrout

Why is it not fair? It's showing correct vs. incorrect. The Drake part is incorrect and cannot be used.

If I remember correctly the Scott Drake arm was purchased less than a year old and the Grab-A-Trak arm is probably 3 years old.

I'd have to agree, Wrong is Wrong is Wrong, makes no difference what you compare it to.

If it's wrong and Drake isn't putting forth the effort to insure their parts are quality and accurate the WORLD needs to know so they either get it right or WE save the rest of the world that may be interested in Drake parts the headache of having to deal with it.

Thanks for sharing, keep us posted on what you find out or how Scott Drake manages it.

obwan93001

:eek: Dang, I installed Drake lowers (purchased from NPD) on my CS a lil over 3 years ago because I was not happy w/the quality of the ones from Laurel Mtn Mustang, even though I stuck w/the uppers from LMM, doh, they have cracked ball joint dust seals now. In regards to the SD lowers, I was too stupid/naive to compare to the originals that I removed and assumed being SD products they'd be correct so for all I know they have the same issues your pair have. :frust: What kind of issues would that problem cause when driving? I haven't noticed any issues but I am not a suspension guru either. I redid using GT specs for the most part and it is tight and w/some fine tuning is good for me so maybe mine didn't have that problem. Next time I have the car up I'll see if I can tell w/them on.

Thanks for bringing this crap to our attention!

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I've been told that the Drake part is an exact duplicate of the Ford part.

If that is true I certainly don't want to be giving out false information so does anyone have an original Ford control arm laying around that we can compare?

obwan93001

I've been told that the Drake part is an exact duplicate of the Ford part.

If that is true I certainly don't want to be giving out false information so does anyone have an original Ford control arm laying around that we can compare?

Hmmm, very interesting. Hahha remember Laugh In anyone? Artie Johnson I think was the comedian that used to say that when popping his head out of a bush dressed as a German WWII soldier wasn't it?

Anyhow, I'll go dig around the side of the house here where I put some of the stuff I took off my original suspension a few years ago and see if I still have the original LCAs, I have a feeling I gave them to one of the mobile scrap collectors a while ago but I'll go check in a minute. Someone here has to have an original one to compare to though so we'll find out soon.

Thanks for that Arlie, makes me feel a little bit better about the SD LCAs I have on my CS now.

obwan93001

You know, I wonder if the Grab-A-Trak LCAs are designed like that for performance reasons? Kind of like doing the Shelby front end drop? I'm not an engineer but just thought that may explain the difference w/the Grab-A-Trak LCA.

robert campbell

My steering malady on the GNS was finally traced to excessive slop in the lower ball joints. They were less than 3 years old and had very few miles on them. To be fair I will keep the supplier nameless, but they wore out way to fast to a point they were very dangerous. I bought them as a lower control arm assembly. Car darted to the left and to the right abruptly.

Not sure if Arlies would wear out prematurely? And of course mine were OEM with rivets, but I did not save or compare.

Now I wonder if what Arlie found is what happened on my car. If that is true, my car was nealy dangerous to drive and the "slop" in the ball joint was of extreme nature. Far more than a worn out OEM part.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Rob,
That is exactly why I decided to replace my Grab-A-Trak lower control arms. On my last long road trip I felt a clunk every time I ran over a rock or a rut. The control arms are only 3 or 4 years old but the passenger side arm is definitely worn out.

Rick Schmidt, from NPD, told me that the Drake lower control arms should be used only with the “concours correct” AMK 5A486-1CK end-link kit. That kit uses stepped bushings that fit inside the round sleeves on the arms. The cheap generic bushings will get quickly mangled by the sleeves.

So, I still don't know if the Scott Drake arms are made correctly or incorrectly. My guess is the latter, mainly because the whole arrangement just doesn't look right, but I purchased the stepped bushings and have installed the arms on my car. We'll see what happens.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Attachments

• Missing Camber Plate.jpg
    Missing Camber Plate.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

franklinair

The small brackets (welded on) are the original Ford configuration. Repro's (at least the ones I've seen & used) do not have them. I THINK they were for jacking, to keep the floor jack from slipping. I do believe they are available to weld onto the new LCA's which do not have them.
The camber bracket IS there in the photo. Its just dirty and blends into the rest of the dirt/grease.

Neil

Ruppstang

Here are some pics of orignials on the 67 sprint convertible I am restoring.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Scott Drake spring supports don't fit on Scott Drake upper control arms.
Pathetic.

Attachments

• Spring Seat.jpg
    Spring Seat.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 57

Ruppstang

Is'nt that just discusting but not suprising of the China made Scott Drake parts of late.
Get out the rat tail file.

dalorzo_f

What I think are OEM 68's, believe 67's are slightly different due to the change in strut rod, not sure of any other design changes that may apply...

lca_2Medium.jpg

lca_3Medium.jpg

lca_1Medium.jpg

Ruppstang

The 67 version has 4 holes in it as the strut rod is strait and crosses it at a 45 dergee angle. The 68 strut rod has a hocky stick end. Marty