• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Question for HCS owners..

P

PNewitt

Since I'm making a few collectibles, like decals, plaques, etc., I was wondering about the numbers breakdown for the HCS.

So far, we have license plate frames from Casey, that separate 4118 to 251 (HCS), and 3867 for the GT/CS.

It's not a real problem making separate HCS things, it's more of the demand for items. With about 1200 people on my list, I think about 100-120 are HCS folks. So--how do you feel about using the GT/CS decals, etc., on your '68 HCS?

Would you prefer the number split mentioned on the decal? I just am thinking of how to honor the HCS folks with these items. Would it be "dishonorable" to include the HCS as a collective part of the GT/CS? From a "this is business" Ford marketing point of view (circa June 1968) they thought of the HCS as a Denver dealer DSO branch off of the GT/CS program, to sell cars.

I'd like to hear from HCS owners about what they think about this. It has more to do with marketing--and respect, than to create any kind of thought of "division".

Thanks for your input,

Paul N.

coloradoHCS

As an HCS owner I would prefer to see items for HCS's alone. No offense to the GT/CS and understanding the marketing plan of 1968 but the HCS predates the GT/CS. If the demand is not there for seperate decals then a number breakdown on a GT/CS decal would work for me.
I personally would not put a GT/CS decal, without some HCS recognition, on my car because it is not a California Special...then again I may just be grumpy today.
Mark.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Good Point, Mark.
Grumpy? nah...(LOL!!)

You make the valid point that separate HCS items should be offered, like a decal for '66-'67-'68 HCS Mustangs (attn.: Mr. Teets). That actually would be a great idea, since it would honor the lineage of those years. I feel that the HCS should get more recognition.

I've always considered the '68 HCS as an HCS, since it was marketed that way. It's just that it's development in '68 was the same as the GT/CS, so there is some overlap. There's a difference from inclusion by production--and recognizing it as a separate limited edition. But then again, there are many overlaps with registries, i.e. Cobra Jet Registry and GT/CS, or GT390, X-Code, etc...which one could belong to more than one--with the same car!!

Maybe what this means is to (at least in things like decals, t-shirts, etc.) separate the GT/CS and HCS cars. Of course, I'll include (in fact will be expanding) the HCS history for my book. No change there.

Perhaps the HCS folks could provide some more commentary/reaction about this?

thanks, Paul.

Midnight Special

...We can still do these as coffee mugs or shirts. Your personal HCS featured and design varied upon request...

Attachments

• HCS1 copy.jpg
    HCS1 copy.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 34

di81977

I would also prefer HCS specific items. But there clearly is a relationship between the two cars and something that addresses both of them on one item would be fine with me.

Paul, I appreciate your thoughtfulness on this subject. I am probably not as hardcore as others given that I currently have GT/CS decals and not the appropriate HCS ones on my car right now.

(BTW, I was the 5th calendar car)

David

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

You're welcome, David,

If GT/CS owners have had "recognition" problems from the public sometimes, then I can only wonder how the HCS folks have felt.

I'll see what the "HCS Guru" has to say ("pssst!...hey...Mr. Teets!"), and I'd like to know if the HCS folks would consider collectibles with or without all three years ('66, '67, '68) of the HCS as imagery.

It IS the 40th for the '67 HCS right now. For the '66 last year. We can't let '08 go by without honoring the '68 HCS.

This is going to be cool!

Paul N.

GTCSMustang

Paul,

I think all HCS owners greatly appreciate what you are trying to do for us. Whether it be for all HCS years or just one year. However I would only be interested in something that specifically recognizes 1968.

Scott

19HCS68

I agree with Scott. I personnaly would prefer only 68 HCS specific products. That's all I got to say 'bout that. :wink:

Gary

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

OK, it sounds like the '68 HCS is the way to go.

I just need to go over this with Bob Teets, and get his "OK" before I do anything further.

I do have a really cool design in mind. When I find out more, we'll move ahead on this.

This, of course, will coincide with the return of the GT/CS Registry decals ASAP.

I'll get back to you all ASAP!

Paul N.

hicountrybob

PNewitt said:
You're welcome, David,

If GT/CS owners have had "recognition" problems from the public sometimes, then I can only wonder how the HCS folks have felt.

I'll see what the "HCS Guru" has to say ("pssst!...hey...Mr. Teets!"), and I'd like to know if the HCS folks would consider collectibles with or without all three years ('66, '67, '68) of the HCS as imagery.

It IS the 40th for the '67 HCS right now. For the '66 last year. We can't let '08 go by without honoring the '68 HCS.

This is going to be cool!

Paul N.
Paul, I think we HCS owners, for the most part, would want our own decals. I, too, would not run a CS decal on one of my HC's and visa versa, I would not run a HC decal on my '68 royal maroon CS. I don't know how one would want to handle the 3 different years of the HCS (perhaps all 3 years listed on a decal). Lately I sold my '66 HCS and would have run a HC decal on it, but it would have had to say no year or '66 on it somewhere. So, perhaps because of such few HCS owners on this site (and really, out there in the real world), I don't think, $ wise, it will pay to make up a different decal for each of the three years, so how about 1 HCS decal with all 3 YEARS OR 1 HCS decal with NO YEARS on it. I try to remember, too, that many of us should NEVER SAY NEVER in our hunt for a toy because one day a HC owner may find a CS (as in 428) that they can't live without and a CS owner may find a HCS (as in 428) that they can't live without. Ask me or Scott Fuller about that 'cus we've been there, done that. How's about a find like a '66 or '67 HCS fastback? Would I rid myself of a '68 HCS coupe or a maroon '68 J code CS to buy it? IN A HEART BEAT. So would many of you, I'm sure. I guess I'm being selfish in wanting to cover all the bases here. Would others here buy into this decal separation theory, also? Let's here from you soon so that Paul N. can get rolling on this. Thanks, HC Bob Teets here.

GTCSMustang

Paul,

Are you thinking of doing window decals or other items too?

Tim (Midnight Special) - Can you change the graphic shown on the previous page to have a hood scoop and black stripe (428)? I'd be interested in paying you to come up with a 428 HCS graphic. Something with "428", and "Cobra Jet", "HCS", and "1 of 9". Hey Bob...is nine the right number?

Scott

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hey Bob, and everyone!

It's not a real problem $$-wise to do '68 HCS window decals only (@ 3" diameter).

I have a design in mind, and after I get it set up, I'll send a copy to Bob for his approval. I may see what it would cost to make some '68 HCS pins for you all, too.

I get the feeling that the '67 and '66 HCS cars (and owners) are far and few between? Is that true? Low enough to not do anything for them?

What would help me, is if those interested in getting these things each bought a two-four item minimum. The decals would probably be about $4-5 each.

I'll get it together this week, and get back to you, Bob, ASAP.

thanks to everyone for your input!

"The West Made it Happen"

Paul N.

case12

As a note - we sorta went through this before on the license frames, and I did a survey to try to get the best "compromise". You can see the thread on the 'sticky' at the top of the forum.

What the HCS group voted on was "High Country Special. The West Made It Happen". Thus, it included all years and didnt have to deal with # made for any one year.

Thanks, Casey

Midnight Special

GTCSMustang said:
Paul,

Tim (Midnight Special) - Can you change the graphic shown on the previous page to have a hood scoop and black stripe (428)? I'd be interested in paying you to come up with a 428 HCS graphic. Something with "428", and "Cobra Jet", "HCS", and "1 of 9". Hey Bob...is nine the right number?

Scott

Scott, I can do anything along these lines you want & would be happy to consult and do the one-off designs including decals....BUT - (and a big one;-) I would like Paul Newitt and Bob Teets to give their blessings after reading some of the posts as I have no desire to seem competitive.

Paul continues to add complimentry gadgets to his registry package & seems beyond willing to accomodate you, so 'far as I'm concerned - he's your man. I'll go back to work here only after their comfortable approval. :)

hicountrybob

GTCSMustang said:
Paul,

Scott
Hey, me too, Tim. Scott, you're right on ie. that 9 HCS were built and 6 are in the registry. HC Bob here.

GTCSMustang

Bob,
I wouldn't have forgotten you. We may be the only members of the Red 428 HCS Club.
Scott