• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New Shop Space

Ruppstang

I have wanted a lift in the shop for years, as most of you know it does not get any easier getting up and down as you get older. With my current car projects finished and no shows to attend I decided it was time for a lift bay. I added a 16 X 30 to the end of our shop that has 10 foot side walls with a cathedral trusses that gives me a 15 foot height at the peak. That should be plenty of height for the cars I work on. I am using a PTACH through the wall HAVC system that way the new bay will be isolated from the dusty wood working part of the shop.

I traded some work for some hydronic solar panels 20 years ago and have never used them. I thought the new bay would be a great opportunity make use of them. I put 500 feet of hydronic tubing in the concrete floor with 1 1/2 Styrofoam under it. That should be a great way to capture some free heat and keep it over night plus it will be great working on a heated floor

After working most of the summer the new shop space is done. It is so great to have the lift in a warm and cool clean space. The solar heating is working great. On a good sunny day the floor will heat to 85 degrees and will only fall to around 70 over night. It is not quite as good right now with the shorter days with only about 6 hours of heating. But you can not beat free heat.

Tari says I already have my Christmas gift for this year.

Attachments

• 2080-02-14 02.42.07.jpg
    2080-02-14 02.42.07.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 48
  • 2080-06-10 01.21.20.jpg
    2080-06-10 01.21.20.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 2080-06-10 01.22.22.jpg
    2080-06-10 01.22.22.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 2080-06-10 01.23.03.jpg
    2080-06-10 01.23.03.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 47

franklinair

Excellent. I wish I had the foresight when I built my shop. At my age (81) the ROI just isn't there. Enjoy.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 42

DanTeets

Looks great Marty! I’m nearing the end of a new home build and we added a nice sized car barn. What lifts did you go with? Thanks, Dan

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Looks great Marty! I’m nearing the end of a new home build and we added a nice sized car barn. What lifts did you go with? Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan, I would like to see some pictures when it is done.

Our lift is a used Direct Lift. A good friend was moving his shop and had two lifts to store cars on. He has room for one in his new place so he gave me one of them. The lift was free but the addition cost $$$.

Merry Christmas to you and pass the same on to Bob and Shirley.

Marty

DanTeets

Thanks Marty. Will do. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

Batgirl89

I would love either shop also!
Marty The lift is great, as well as the cars
Neil, you're amazing!!!
Merry Christamas everyone!!

rvrtrash

I thought I'd resurrect an old thread. We moved into our new house last June. The contractor for our shop was taking his time (14 months from foundation to siding) so I fired him and took over contracting myself. I still need roll up doors (coming in 3 weeks) and finish the inside a little, but it's coming along. I'll have to wait until spring now to do the rock in front and paint the exterior. By the way, the floor is just wet from cleaning up the sheet rock dust.

Steve

Attachments

• ShopExt.jpg
    ShopExt.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 36
  • ShopInt.jpg
    ShopInt.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 42

rvrtrash

Yep, just water. I didn't realize it looked good until I took the picture and saw it from that perspective.

Steve

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Nice shop Steve. If you look at my pictures above you can see that I used a roll on sealer on my floor. It is not real shiny but it is a dream to sweep and oil wipes right off.

rvrtrash

Thanks Marty. I used a roll on sealer as well, called Traz 25. It has a slight sheen at an angle. Unfortunately, the sheet rock guys had something hanging off their scaffolding apparently, and I have light scratch marks all over the floor, that are just deep enough that it went past the sealer. It doesn't show when dry, but when I washed the floor, the water soaked into the concrete everywhere there was a scratch. I'll have to reseal when the temps warm up.

Steve

rvrtrash

The outside of the shop is done, except for putting in grass the keep the dirt from blowing away. I'm still working on the interior, putting in the stairs to the loft area and then organizing everything. Since this thread started out as a "lift" thread, here's a pic of the side of the shop that isn't completely stacked with stuff.

Steve

Attachments

• Shop_5_21.jpg
    Shop_5_21.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 23
  • ShopInt_4_15.jpg
    ShopInt_4_15.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Very nice looking building. After they are done you wonder why you did not do it sooner.

Enjoy

rvrtrash

My old shop was half the size, but as big as I could get on a 1/4 acre lot in town. Since we're on 20 acres now, I decided I could go a little bigger. :grin: