• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Drive and enjoy or Sell for something new?

bassman2

I haven't posted in a long time... I started out with 2 CS's and a GT500.

I sold one unrestored J code a few years ago, and then I sold the GT500 - I don't regret either one.

I finally finished my C code CS this last year and only drove it a few times this summer, but not nearly enough! Our road got freshly oiled and chip-sealed and I wasn't about to drive it on that!

Now I'm faced with the fact that I have way more $$$$$ into this car than I could ever get out of it...I did it for fun, not an investment. (I keep reminding myself)

Basically, I rotisserie restored the car and replaced nearly every part. I didn't do a concourse job, but I kept the spirit of it... I'd love to get some of your expert opinions on valuation.

Everything on this car was re-done, some by me, and some by a local restoration shop. Rebuilt rear end, tranny, professionally re-built original motor, power brakes, borgeson steering... I found an original console, new wiring, new glass, exhaust, interior, seat belts, window guts, all seals, one piece solid headliner with console... I took pics along the way and have more receipts than I want to add up!

Anyway - take a look and sound off. It runs awesome (I have Tom's Performance to thank for that) I built it the way I wanted, but kept stuff like the original steering wheel...and anything unique or hard to find.

I have a bad habit of not driving my toys, then selling them and starting over.

Attachments

• IMG_5839.jpg
    IMG_5839.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5841.jpg
    IMG_5841.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5837.jpg
    IMG_5837.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5838.jpg
    IMG_5838.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5846.jpg
    IMG_5846.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5847.jpg
    IMG_5847.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 56

BigJim

To me it would come down to how much am I willing to loose on the sale of this one and how bad I want the next project. Only you know that.

Ruppstang

If it were me I would drive it to get my investment back in fun. I do not think there would be al lot of difference in the price you get for it if you never drive it or you take very good care of it and drive it a few thousand miles a year. The price on these cars is creeping up and the longer you keep it the more you may get, plus the fun you will have with it.

The most fun I ever had was driving our 68 fastback all over the country to shows.

Beautiful car!
Good luck with what ever you decide.
Marty

Attachments

• DSC_5445 68 Fastback at Tim O Brian's.jpg
    DSC_5445 68 Fastback at Tim O Brian's.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 32

franklinair

Believe me, I know your mixed feelings about keeping or selling. I've done it three times, and am now on my fourth project "for me". I had seller's remorse in all 3 sales. Number 4 is for me. Probably my last restoration. Time will tell. Whatever you decide will be the correct choice, but beware- you WILL have seller's remorse.

Neil

Attachments

• ALL PHOTOS 010.jpg
    ALL PHOTOS 010.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 39
  • ALL PHOTOS 276.jpg
    ALL PHOTOS 276.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 42
  • FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 45
  • BIRTHDAY.jpg
    BIRTHDAY.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 47

robert campbell

Bassman,
I would drive the doody out of that car!! That is what I do with mine. You do remember that Neil's latest restoration is the one you had that I looked at for him? Your car is way cool and should be a fun car to drive!!!

Rob

Mosesatm

I’ve driven all of mine, except one which I sold because it was too nice to drive. For me driving a car like that was far too stressful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bassman2

Thanks for all the feedback! Robert I remember that! This is the car you saw in pieces next to it! Neils work looks awesome by the way.

CougarCJ

I’ve driven all of mine, except one which I sold because it was too nice to drive. For me driving a car like that was far too stressful.

Totally agree with this.
Give me a survivor type of car with a few wrinkles and scars like my 58 year old self. Something that I can take my granddaughter for ice cream and not care if she spills. A car that I can use for errands and take to work if I want.

franklinair

Maybe so, but I build for occasional driving. After that much work, 'enjoy the fruits of your labor' is my goal.

Neil

robert campbell

Then there is me. I build them for performance and beat the doody out of them!! But take care of them like few people do!!

Rob

hookedtrout

Trade me for my Acapulco blue CS that needs restored and you'll have a project and I'll have a driver! ;-) Beautiful job!

DeadStang

Sometimes it's not about the destination, but the journey... Sell it, lose money (you can't take it with you!), and buy a new toy that needs work -- which sounds to me like the aspect of the hobby that you enjoy the most.