• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

brakes

green56

I would like to know on my 68 i would like to take the auto brake adjustment wires off and take the adjustment pads off what type of problem will i have. I am not ready to put disk brakes on yet. What happens after i adjust the fromt brakes i back down the drive and then go foward the front pulls to the right

franklinair

1.) If you have a brake pulling, I'd pull both front brake drums and check to see if you have a leaking wheel cylinder or grease seal.
2.) As far as the brake adjusting, that is done by using a 'brake spoon' thru the slot on the back of the backing plate (it will have a small rubber plug inserted to keep dirt/water out).
3.) When you had the wheel/brake drum removed, you should have seen the brake adjuster with the 'star' wheel. The spoon is used to screw the adjuster outwards to expand the brake shoes towards the drum. Adjust it until the wheel cannot be rotated, then back it off until there is just a slight drag felt when rotating the wheel.

I would leave the self adjuster mechanism in place- its there for a reason.

Neil

hookedtrout

Neil is right on, I will add that if you don't understand brakes and how they work you should try and find someone close to you that does to help you out or take them to a professional for help. Brakes are one critical component that can mean the difference between crunch and no crunch, life and death.

Mine were pulling bad and we worked them over good by replacing everything and doing a lot of work to get them working right and I still didn't feel good about how they were working so I went with disc brakes, but it is expensive to change.

OP
OP
G

green56

I found out how much disk brakes cost a lot so i guess i will check out the wheel cylinder or just replace and be safe