• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Looking for snorkel 390 S-code

David r

Need help looking for a snorkel and heat shield from exhaust for my S-code 390. I have original heat tube and air cleaner with the emission tube. Need the snorkel No C80z-9A626-B.

dalorzo_f

Ebay or Mansfield Mustang.

http://mansfieldmustang.com/EngineFuelCarbp2.html

Be prepared to pay $300-400 for a good snorkel, and the same or more for a heat shield (one on Ebay for $600 recently).

One year only and not a lot out there. I do not think these two parts are reproduced, but maybe that has changed. And if you need the round vaccum motor, very hard item to find in working condition. They can be restored, do not use Perogies they come back working, but looking chewed up from the way the pry them open.

And verify all parts carefully, there are a lot of "390" snorkels and many do not know how to tell them apart. I have a few incorect purchases from my early days on the shelf as reminders!

dalorzo_f

See this ad for what NOT to buy. First, no such thing as a "GT" snorkel. Do not confuse a bad ad like this for the correct one for the "390GT" '68 S code.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-Mustang-...ies&hash=item58af9befb1&vxp=mtr#ht_261wt_1120

This one is not a 68 S code either:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-F...ies&hash=item33906b7234&vxp=mtr#ht_399wt_1358

And this is not it either...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-68-FOR...tang&hash=item486a6f29c4&vxp=mtr#ht_24wt_1136

All are 360/390 "standard" snorkels not correct for a 68 Mustang S code.

Caveat emptor!

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

Here is a picture from Mansfield Mustang. Note the very short section that kicks backwards at the base of the snorkel.

03-70.jpg

and a shot of my 68 S convertible (not the greatest, but one i have on line)

Note the other links, and how all are longer and kick the main body of the snorkel forwards.

I beleive the '69 S code is the same, but with the addition of a small reducer on the heat riser opening as they used a corrugated tube, not the metal S-Tube as in '68. If you remove the reducer its basically the same thing, but still a hard part to find.

dalorzo_f

As noted in your other post, yes. But most have no number on them, ink tamp only, so you need to rely on visual identification most of the time.

I have a complete setup available, but will not break it up. Base, lid, snorkel, heat shield, S tube, and NOS air motor. Ready to apply, but cost and shipping from Oz would be very high.

sportyworty

The 69 is the same as a 69/70 428 CJ with exception of the reducer ring which is the same as a Boss 302. The base and lid are also the same as a 69 non ram 428 CJ. The 68 snorkel is completely different one year offering. It is closer in appearance to a full size 390/428 4V

dalorzo_f

The base and lid are also the same as a 69 non ram 428 CJ.

Are you sure about that? Thought the '68 uses a small (about 2" round) air motor and that the '69's went to a larger rectangular one. And the lid in '69 is the "star" pattern and smaller than the 68's (at least the ones I have are smaller and the same as the '67 390 dual screen lid)

Photos of a Q code setup from Mansfield.

03-18.JPG

sportyworty

I am only speakng of the 1969 S code 390IP base and lid. It is the same base and lid as the 69 Boss 302 and 69 Q code non Ram Air 428. There is a small difference on the underside of the lid on early 390 there was a ring with depth of about 2 inches and an OD of about 4 inches. The snorkel on the 390 is the same as the 69/70 CJ with exception of the reducer ring spot welded to underside to fit the paper tube. The 69 set up is more expensive for obvious reasons.

My only reference to 68 was the GT snorkel and the fact it is similar to the 1968 390/428 4V found in Galaxie etc (2V full size angled the other way)

My post was in response to yours stating the 69 set up was same as 68 with exception of the snorkel reducer. The 69's have the flat bottom with single carb bleeder relief and square welded nut for snorkel with narrow spacing/pattern shared with Boss 2 and CJ.

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

My comment was only on the '69 snorkel, the part in question. Not the entire setup (as the pics show, very diferent!)

As noted the snorkel is the same as '68 S code with the reducer for the paper tube... the rest is completely different.

sportyworty

Richard speaking snorkels only here then. 68 vs 69 S codes.

They are not the same at all. They are completely different intermediate bends and length as well as hole spacing for base screws not to mention your recognized reducer sleeve on the 69. The 69 390 IP is identical to the Cobra Jet with exception of the reducer which is easily removed and same as a Boss 302. The 68 GT snorkel is as I described above. Not even close and yes I am sure on this. I make and sell 68.5 specific Cobra Jet snorkels which are different again than 69/70.

dalorzo_f

Ok, just makes finding correct '68 S harder as its apparently a one year, one engine only thing... the references I have must be incorrect (not uncommon)

As there is a lot of conflicting info I'll leave the 428 CJ/SCJ 68 69 70 issues for others to sort out.

sportyworty

ALL of the 68-69 S code and 68-70 CJ bases, shields, lid and snorkels have been sorted for some time now. Don't kill the messenger these forums are about helping with correct information and my post is no reflection against the job you do to contribute to that very cause. Peace