• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 C4 transmission shift linkage rod

Firstmustang

Getting the final touches done on my CS, and noticed I couldn't find my shift linkage rod. I ordered one, climbed underneath and realized it was too short. So I ordered another one...different part number, and that too was too short!

So now I think I'm the problem.

The shifting part on the transmission is full forward, when I get in the car the shifter is also full forward in park and under the car the piece attached to the shifter it full forward. I'm about 1-1.5" too short with the linkage.

Since I have 2 parts I had my friend with a metal fab shop add about 1.5" onto one of the parts. Yes, this will solve my problem, but is there something deeper going on.

What am I doing wrong on the install?

As always thank you and appreciate any advice.

franklinair

I measured the C4 shift rod for my '68. Its 17 1/2 inches long. (end to end)

Neil

Mosesatm

You may be measuring with the shifter in the wrong position.

franklinair

IIRC, with the shift selector all the way forward in Park, and the C4 lever all the way back, the rod should line up. The rod is slotted to allow the stud on the C4 lever to be inserted and tightened with the nut.

Neil

OP
OP
Firstmustang

Firstmustang

I was able to get the linkage hooked up today. Just seemed like they both should be full forward in order to operate properly. But I hooked up the linkage to the transmission first then had the wife bring the shifter back to see what would happen. Turned out I was able to make the connection, then ran it through all the gears and it seemed to change smoothly.

Now my wife thinks she's a lucky charm.
Haha!