• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Grill Prep for Paint

68Fan

I was hoping the GT/CS contingent could spill some wisdom on the following topic. I'm looking to prep my grill, fog light posts & grill molding for paint and was wondering what successes others have had. Any comments, tips and/or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sean

Mosesatm

Are you going to remove the parts or paint them in place?

rvrtrash

I used steel wool on the grill moulding and bead blasted the grill and fog light posts. I think it turned out great.
Steve

OP
OP

68Fan

All parts ARE removed. I hit the posts and frame with the steel wool (000 & 0000) however, like most folks who have tried steel wool on the grill, it shreds pretty fast and doesn't do an effective job. Taking a small piece of s.wool and going over a small portion of the grill took a very long time. So I figured there had to be another way.

Can you tell me more about the bead blast? Did you do this yourself or did you take it to a body shop?

Thanks for the input.

rvrtrash

I did it myself. I have two different setups, a cabinet for small to medium parts and a seperate gun for big parts. A body shop won't have the equipment to do it, but if you look in the phone book under "Sandblasting" you should be able to find someone. Most use Alum. Oxide, but the grill is pretty fragile and some of those guys have a heavy hand so try to find one that will blast it with glass beads. :thumb: Hope this helps.
Steve