• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Pillar pads

dbeal

I purchased pillar pads for my GTCS, cleaned them all up and have them ready to put on..except for one problem..My car is not drilled for the pillar pads! I was under the impression that all 68 mustangs had them. Is this a deluxe interior option only? Or was it a later addition? My car was built in April.

Darrell

68gt390

Darrell;
The pillar pads were found on the early built models. Ford stopped putting them in as a cost saving move prior to April. My GT Coupe (November build date) has the pillar pads and what ford called a knee pad on the dash where as my CS (April build date) doesn't have either. Hope this helps. The deluxe interior package had no bearing as to wheather your car got the pads or not.

Don

P

PNewitt

The pillar pads, and then the knee pads were "deleted" from the assembly line as part of "less parts to pay the workers more $$" deal. The Nov '67 strike "forced" the automaker to drop some parts....which I thought were mandatory "padding" as per the 1968 Fed Safety Act???

Bumper guards and (on stock Mustangs) the louvered hood was dropped as a standard item, also as a result of the strike settlement.

You can almost date a '68 Mustang by the type of reflectors, whether it has knee pads, pillar pads, or bumper guards--or not!

They just kept putting on those pads at the factory until they ran out of them--then no more. if they didn't have them--and there are no holes--then I wouldn't add them (for authenticity's sake).

Paul.

OP
OP
D

dbeal

Thanks for the input. Anyone need any light blue pillar pads and knee pad?? I'll make you a deal! ;D