• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Another GT/CS in Surrey BC

p51

So is there somewhere that cars on the online registry list whether they are clones or not, or just by searching the threads? - for future reference

One method is to use Newitt's GT/CS recognition guide (hard copy). When he was putting the registry together he included a column on whether he had received a Marti report from the owner or not. So, unless there are typos in the book, all cars marked "M" have a Marti and are therefore genuine. Info on cars not marked "M" (most of them) had no documented Marti provided to Paul, so some of them (most?) are real GT/CSs but some are clones...

The only other way to ensure it's a genuine GT/CS is to order a Marti on any car you're interested in...

platnumheart666

Clones

I sent Jon a note, requesting his input.

Thank you Mosesatm. I am planning on hunting out an S code or X code GT/CS and will definitely order a Marti when the time comes and have the vehicle inspected, since our last one turned out to have a non-matching numbers engine and extensive rear frame damage

boris

so this is the updated version or description lol Gorgeous recreation California Special, frame-off rotisserie restoration. Restored down to every nut and bolt. Only has 300 test miles since. This is your chance to own what amounts to a brand new 1968 California Special!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Yes, there are most certainly a few clones in the online registry. People "self report" their cars when they submit them online. There isn't a mechanism in place to confirm or deny if the car is real.

I think the best way to handle it is when a car is found to be a clone, let me know and I'll mark it as such. I prefer to do that as opposed to deleting it, because someone could just come back in and resubmit. I'd rather clearly note that it's a clone so people looking it up can find that info.

Back to the car in question in this thread, can someone point me to the Marti report confirming it's not a CS? Then I'll mark it in the online registry.

Last edited:

somethingspecial

Marti sent Jon, Thanks for flagging this. I will post the Marti here as well. Mike

Attachments

• 8R01C155425_stdrpt.pdf
    235.5 KB · Views: 46