• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Starting Issue

robert campbell

The six shooter I just restored has the same carb. When it sat for a couple weeks it was a bit grumpy to start and with a simple prime it lit right off. It had a new fuel pump.

Any car that sits will have the gas evaporate out of the carb. A month can do it on some cars. My car has an electric fuel pump so this is not a problem. You may have a weak fuel pump that takes alot of cranking to get gas up.

I got an idea!!! Drive that sucker more!!!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The six shooter I just restored has the same carb. When it sat for a couple weeks it was a bit grumpy to start and with a simple prime it lit right off. It had a new fuel pump.

Any car that sits will have the gas evaporate out of the carb. A month can do it on some cars. My car has an electric fuel pump so this is not a problem. You may have a weak fuel pump that takes alot of cranking to get gas up.

I got an idea!!! Drive that sucker more!!!

Rob

The car sat overnight and wouldn't start this morning until I primed it. I since adjusted the choke to close the butterfly a little more (maybe the gas is just evaporating) and purchased a new fuel pump.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Traveling for work again. I’ll work on it this weekend.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

It runs. Apparently, the problem was the fuel pump.
Can anyone tell if this is an original fuel pump?

Attachments

• IMG_1879-1000.jpg
    IMG_1879-1000.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1880-1000.jpg
    IMG_1880-1000.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 26

Ruppstang

Yes that is a button top original. I would not throw it away many concours guys have Fred Ballard of Fred's Classics restore them.

robert campbell

You should have seen me trying to install the fuel pump on the 68 Stang I restored with the 200 six. Took me a couple minutes to figure out they go on upside down compared to V8 cars…….. Life is tough when you are stupid.....

Now drive that sucker!!!!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Yep, just need to get a few more things fixed before the drive to Nebraska.