• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Highly Optioned J Code in need of restoration

franklinair

$13K for this particular car is waaayyy beyond practicality.
$8K is overly generous.
$5K would be doable- if one had the time & inclination to build a driver.

Neil

Midnight Special

When I was 17 I found a POC GT/CS in the back of a used car lot, and over the next couple years I used it as my daily driver and fixed what I could when I had a little extra money.

That scenario is what I envision for this car. As far as I know it's drivable so a kid could buff out the paint and slowly start replacing interior pieces.
IMHO it doesn't need to be 100% restored to be someone's pride and joy.

...+1
Too often, GT/CSs that come up for sale around here are criticised to the point where it's implied the seller give you his car plus $10,000 so some "restorer" can recoup his investment.

To me, this serves to only kill the joy of ownership on a rare & unique Mustang while reducing the overall value and incentives for having practical "drivers". Sad IMO....

rvrtrash

I agree with Arlie, and I wouldn't actually do a full restoration of this car. If I had bought it, it would have been to be more of something Brother Rob would love. There is just to much wrong or missing to make it economically feasible to go concours. With that said, you still need to get it at a price that makes sense. It's hard for me to imagine to many kids that would spend that much on a project of this magnitude, when they can spend the same money on a nice Honda S2000 and be done.

Steve

Don

It's hard for me to imagine to many kids that would spend that much on a project of this magnitude, when they can spend the same money on a nice Honda S2000 and be done.
Steve

Completely agree. The young gearheads that work at our local hotrod shop are working on cars, like the mustang, for the older customers but their personal car/projects are small Japanese born vehicles. Popular, currently, amongst the young (which there are very few) gearheads is popping in a small block V8 into early Toyotas (sedans and pickups) to do the drift car sideshow thing.

Ruppstang

Sadly this hobby is not affordable for most kids and a large number of adults. The paint and body work on our latest project will cost more than a base 2015 Mustang. Give that choice most would choose the new car with warrantee.
Marty

1968Kanada

The really heartbreaking thing about a car like this, (to me at least), is that it was allowed to sit out in the weather for 20+ years. How much trouble would it have been to push the thing into a corner of a barn somewhere on the property and forget about it? Now, after 20 years of roasting and freezing in the Pacific Northwest, after sidepipes and other countless modifications, its finally for sale. By not having the correct engine, and for the matter the correct rearend and by allowing it to reach that stage of decay the car can never be truly what it once was. That part of it is lost forever and my friends, that is truly a loss for a hobby that we all love so much.

Mosesatm

Jim just sent me a note saying they will sell the car, and all the parts, for $10,500.

clubpro

As a parts guy I look at all of the add on parts and think about what I could sell them for to help fund the restoration. That is if you wanted to put it back to original specs.

Tilt away steering column - $750
Deluxe steering wheel - $300 - $500 depending on condition
Tachometer - $750
Convenience control group (if complete) I would think it would sell for over $1,000 there was a complete set on ebay that sold for $3,500 over a year ago.
Lower console - $750
Upper console - $150
70 Mustang bucket seats - $400

So if you add it all up you would have a nice start.

Cheers,

Ron

Mosesatm

Nope, at least not until the house is fixed up, or at least the pink carpet is gone.

Attachments

• Master Bedroom 2 (1000x750).jpg
    Master Bedroom 2 (1000x750).jpg
    160 KB · Views: 36