• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Red GT/CS in Pennsylvania

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The car looks like a bit of a disaster,
Wrong hood
Black tail light bezels
Wrong fog lights
Looks like quickie dealer paint job, with painted latches. The hood hinges are even painted.

It also has low scripts so it's definitely not the first one built

GregL

Pretty bad when an auto dealer's ad becomes the laughing stock of the on line classics world. Maybe it's time they switched to a different biz? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

This is becoming interesting.

Dear molaye1919,

This isn't even close to being the first GT/CS. Please change your ad.
Thanks

- ebarple
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear ebarple,

We have all the documentation saying it,s what we said it,s. Thanks anyway.

- molaye1919
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear molaye1919,

Our records show the first documented GT/CS to be 8R01C130315 with a build date of January 19th.
If you have documentation that proves otherwise please post it here californiaspecial.com. If you can't prove your claim please change the ad.

- ebarple
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear ebarple,

Check this out. (He attached the GT/CS brochure and the window sticker)

- molaye1919
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear molaye1919,

You're either not the brightest bulb or you're being intentionally obtuse.
Either way, I'm going to contact eBay and the BBB in your area to report your misleading ad.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear ebarple,

All you have to do is to bring your camera with you and see all of the documents we have on this car before you try to call anyone, definitely you have some problem with this car. May God Bless you.

- molaye1919
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear molaye1919,

All you need to do is post one document that says it's the first GT/CS built. Why is that so difficult? It's your claim so you need to prove it.
I don't have any problems with the car as long as it is correctly and honestly described. I can ignore the fact that the hood has been replaced, and the tail light bezels are incorrect, and I can even overlook the quickie paint job that covers the door jambs, trunk jamb, hood hinges, etc.
My problem is with the dishonest seller.

- ebarple
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

mbsf1970

Fired seller off an email requesting authentification of claim.......we'll see what returns!!
Stephen
P.S. Arlie, enlighten me, what makes hood wrong?

p51

The link also says it's a Shelby... geez!

1968 Ford Shelby Mustang 1968 FORD MUSTANG GT/CS California Special
Model: Shelby Mustang

Either these guys don't know anything about GT/CS's or they are being intentionally misleading. Given that they are asking $40K I'll be generous and assume that they are totally clueless, selling this on consignment, and just parroting what the owner told them...

robert campbell

It seams to be a real GT/CS at least. Price is way to high with the amount of information on the internet these days. Back in the day you could pull the wool over some eyes, but you have to be nearly ignorant not to fully research a specialty car from the 1960's with the information just a click away.

Seems to be a nice car, but does show a paint application by a painter that does not spend much attention to detail. Hood may have been hurt along the way and replaced. I have seen some cars with similar small holes. The over spray could be corrected, but at $40k it should present better.

The funny thing is with a site like this and other Mustang sites, this car will never sell to any normal person. Maybe someone will be mesmerized by the red paint, but I think it will take more than that.

As to the first GT/CS, and calling it a "Shelby", wow I hope people do not fall for that....

Rob

CaliStang68

The holes for the hood locks are too small

I also do not see the problems or problems with the hood. Are you saying the holes underneath are too small or on top where the hoods locks are installed. I looked at the pic of under the hood via the link and the holes seems to be decent size. How much bigger should the holes be?

CougarCJ

The information plaque with '1st' and 'Shelby', looks like something a previous owner whipped up. "It's a Shelby,... look he signed it right there on the glove box". :grin:

This one (8R01C143461), was built after the unveiling on Feb 15, 'Feb 20 something' according to the Marti Report. My GT/CS came way before this one. Mine was built Feb 5, and it's VIN is 8R01J137xxx. I guesstimate that mine is probably one of the first 50 made, likely one of the first 10 J codes?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I also do not see the problems or problems with the hood. Are you saying the holes underneath are too small or on top where the hoods locks are installed. I looked at the pic of under the hood via the link and the holes seems to be decent size. How much bigger should the holes be?

Here is a photo of a hood with correct holes vs. the one in the ad

Attachments

• Painted Wires.jpg
    Painted Wires.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Red Car Under hood.jpg
    Red Car Under hood.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 57

dalorzo_f

I wish my "disaster" looked as good.

After reading this and viewing the ad I had to double check that it was the same car.

Overall looks to me to be in very good shape. Overpriced.. but hey what used car dealer is known for low prices? And a few errors in the restore, but nothing major that can't be fixed in a weekend or is staggeringly significant IMO...

Ruppstang

I would not give 20K for it with that cheap paint job. It has to make you wonder what is hiding in the body and metal work. I would take a rusted and dented barn find over this money pit.
Marty

franklinair

I think the biggest bugaboo about this car are the claim 'of the first GT/CS', the erroneous Shelby reference, the 'blow & go' paint job, and the high price tag. It would require an 'up close & personal' lookover, and if no hidden flaws were found, negotiate a realistic price. Obviously it has been reworked by someone not familiar with the model, and spruced up to impress an unknowing buyer for the sake of profit.
My Bondo magnetic detector would get a good workout on this car, along with the usual suspect areas of cowls, torque boxes, etc.

Neil

mbsf1970

Dealer doesn't seem interested in correcting any misleading/false claims.
Here's the reply I got on my email asking for more info to document claims of being 1st ever GT/CS. Clearly english is not the dealer's mother tongue!!!

"Thsnks a lot for your information we are a car dealer here in Lansdale pa, we are only representing an elderly customer to list this car since he can not do it him self. I only post the information he supply to me no more. if you will like to talk to him please let me know by giving your direct phone #. I will have him give you a call. Thanks again."

Don

Yikes, this one is starting to look real fishy.
Bait is in the water :rolleyes:

robert campbell

I think the biggest bugaboo about this car are the claim 'of the first GT/CS', the erroneous Shelby reference, the 'blow & go' paint job, and the high price tag. It would require an 'up close & personal' lookover, and if no hidden flaws were found, negotiate a realistic price. Obviously it has been reworked by someone not familiar with the model, and spruced up to impress an unknowing buyer for the sake of profit.
My Bondo magnetic detector would get a good workout on this car, along with the usual suspect areas of cowls, torque boxes, etc.

Neil

It could not be said any better. Any unknown car with new paint whether done properly or not is a suspect for hidden problems. Couple this with the high price and the obvious exaggerated advertising (nice way to say it) this car is a suspect for a thorough look over. Certainly a GT/CS with a Neil or Marty restore, one can buy it unseen and not be disappointed.

This car will never sell at that price and is a tough buy at 1/2 of the asking price. If I was the dealer I would never advertise a car that is double its worth and purported as something it is not. He/she has the same ability that anyone has to search the net for information. And in my mind the responsibility to do just that. Whether he/she knows it or not, their lot will be tied to the disappointment of this car.

Oh crap, am I indicating that a used car dealer should have morals.....

Rob