• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

rear quarter panels 67 vs 68 ??????

J.Bart

i ordered late 68 full rear quarter panels, the place where the side scoops go, are different from what is on my 68 gt/cs. the rear quarters that i got, look like 67 rear quarters that haven't had the openings cut out. the contour of the indent differs between the two. has anyone ran into this problem?

HappyHour

I understood the CS rear panels were 67 panels as they had proper spacing due to the mock ducts versus the 68 which didnt. Im no expert the Forum peeps would know. :wink:

gtcs1

i ordered late 68 full rear quarter panels, the place where the side scoops go, are different from what is on my 68 gt/cs. the rear quarters that i got, look like 67 rear quarters that haven't had the openings cut out. the contour of the indent differs between the two. has anyone ran into this problem?

The difference between a late and early 68 quarters is only the rear area for the side markers. The late one (from 15/02/68 onward) have no marker indentend area, because marker were mounted flush. The early one have a dished in recess to mount the marker bezel flush. There should not be difference in the front scoop area.

Keep in mind the GT/CS were made on the same assembly line as the regular Mustang and made during a period where both cars could be made, so the car shell/body was identical, and the GT CS specifics parts were added when the car was a GT/CS.

As far as the 67, they're identical with the late 68 except for the cut-outs for the 2 simulated side scoop on each side.

I know that because on a previous restoration of a 68 Mustang, I wasn't able to find NOS 68 quarter, but I found a 67 one, so I bought it, and I used my existing quarter scoop area ( I cut it out off the 68 I was replacing, since this area was intact) to mount in a similar cut-out I did on the 67 one so it "became" a 68 Quarter. I wanted NOS quarter because of the better fit compared to repro ones, at least that was problem 15 years ago.

In your case, it may be a problem of Quarter die accuracy? Who manufactured this new quarter? Can you post a picture of the area to see this difference?

Last edited:

nfrntau

I had the understanding that the 67 and 68 panels were different not only due to the 67 cut outs but also the contours were slightly different. Your scoop should fit the new panel, if not perfectly it should at least be close. All of the 68's would have used the same panel as stated before.
Depending on your situation, I would try to get another "68" panel from a different vendor and see if that one fit more to your liking.

Mosesatm

Please note the comment in blue at the bottom of the page.

Attachments

• 2008 NPD Quarters.pdf
    423.6 KB · Views: 55

gtcs1

Please note the comment in blue at the bottom of the page.

But for both model of 68 (marker area), the scoop slope is unique.

In my case, when I replaced the quarter on a previously owned 68 Mustang with a 67 NOS one, the shop cut the entire area up to the raised bend line, therefore the differences between the 67 and 68 shape didn't really matter because the whole area got replaced using this portion of my 68 quarter.

OP
OP
J

J.Bart

well at least npd knows what they are talking about.
so, i guess no one is making a correct full rear quarter panel for a 68 mustang??????? how many people (i wonder) have put these 67 panels on a 68 thinking they are correct?????

gr8hands

rear panels

68 panels have only holes for the side scops to bolted on. 67 have the cut out. I know because I have one of each on my gt/cs.

6t8-390gt

The currently available full 68 rear quarters are not correct due to the scoop contour, there is a quarter skin available that does have the correct contour. Actually the correct skin may be of the early style. I know when we skinned a car recently we used the correct contour skin and cut out the reflector recess and welded a new section there. Or as stated above you can cut the scoop section out and use your original contour.

NPD is the only company that I found that was forth right about disclosing this information.