• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Cool Sequential Taillights for your CS-- Brighter too!

Far brighter than the old incandescent lamps. Our kit looks retro original and provides real sequential operation!
MP-6009 Shelby/California Special/Cougar LED sequential Taillight kit.

Convert your old incandescent lamps and broken sequential units to brighter more reliable LED operation. The kit is ideally suited for a conversion from standard incandescent lamps to LED sequential operation using cougar or thunderbird taillight housings.

If your car has 64/65 Thunderbird or Couigar taillight housings like the 67/68 California Specials and 67/68/69/70 Shelby's or you have a Cougar with a broken sequential system this is the kit for you. Simply replace your incandescent lamps with our LED modules install the new flasher module under the dash and go!

See these at www.mustangproject.com

Attachments

• califspecial.gif
    califspecial.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 63
  • threepersideuniversalkit.jpg
    threepersideuniversalkit.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 41

Mosesatm

They'd be even better if they would work with the engine running!!!:mad:

OP
OP
M
These kits do work with the engine running just fine. We have 1000s of kits in cars all over the world. If you have a kit that does not work properly give us a call at 1-800-631-0507 9-7 Mon-Sat. and we will get you a new kit free of charge! All of our LED kits have a full lifetime warranty too! We have manufacured and sold more kits than any other maker in the world. Our kit is the only kit with the patented SMART-SIGNAL technology which prevents un intended sequencing during braking.

case12

I have used your lights, and I love them. I think I was one of your first buyers when you were getting started. There may be some unique issues others have had, but they work fine for me. Thanks, Casey

Mosesatm

These kits do work with the engine running just fine. We have 1000s of kits in cars all over the world. If you have a kit that does not work properly give us a call at 1-800-631-0507 9-7 Mon-Sat. and we will get you a new kit free of charge! All of our LED kits have a full lifetime warranty too! We have manufacured and sold more kits than any other maker in the world. Our kit is the only kit with the patented SMART-SIGNAL technology which prevents un intended sequencing during braking.

Please read, and comment on, this thread.
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?p=41627&highlight=mustang+project#post41627

Mosesatm

It seems to me that MP has a huge discrepancy they need to clear up. The MP poster claims that the lights work with any ignition system, but someone from MP told Shaun that electronic ingitions can cause problems.

I think we deserve a straight answer.

OP
OP
M
Straight Answer

LED Taillights

Just to set the record straight Mustang Project has always produced LED kits which will work with MSD ignition systems -- as has been indicated by some of the board posters here as well.

In fact our test car has a MSD6AL igintion system Pertronix II and flame thrower coil -- a very popular combination. Each LED board has a microprocessor with sophisticated special filter circuitry to prevent unwanted problems. These kits have been used on race cars, and many hot rod customs with elaborate electronics and many many cars with MSD ignition systems.

Now any particularly board can be defective but we have the best record in the industry and back it up with a LIFETIME warranty. After 7 years of producing this product we are very confident our kit can work on any car that has proper (factory like) ground connections. Nothing special is required but good wiring set ups are needed.

Normally when an electrical problem happens it is due to a faulty Alernator with a diode or diodes which have failed or is in the process of failing. Failing regulators can also casue problem. This causes the voltage to the lighting circuits to become intermittent at a high frequency which actually interrupts power to the lighting circuits. This is not usually noticable with incandescent lamps except that a slight flicker can be noticed.

Every so often poor contacts in the lamp sockets can cause problems as even slight vibraitons can cause problems with poor contact that only appear when the car is running. Ford made some really poor lamp sockets in the early 60s. Sometimes the old incandescent lamps work fine because they weigh less and still make good contact.

So in summary unless there is a failing electrical component of some sort the kits will work in any electrical configuration mentioned thus far.

President & CEO
Richard Counts
Mustang Project

Mosesatm

So was GTbandit not told that some ignition systems cause problems? Was he given bad information?

The guys who sell them " MProject" advised that their system has a Microprocessor and this can be interfered with by Electrical Noise which is a common side effect of MSD ignitions apparently.I bagged them back up and shoved them in the cupboard ,one day i will get around to fixing the noise issue - but for now incandescent will do

Come on MP, please explain what's going on so we can move on to other things and you can sell your product to members of this site. I'm sure some orders are sitting on the fence, waiting for this issue to be resolved.

OP
OP
M
LED Kits

Gosh I dont know what else to say. Defective alternators and regulators aside they will work with MSDs or any other electronic ignition system period. They are warranted for the life of your car. Its just that simple.

Phone converstations to various technical staff at our store can sometimes be poorly understood. We don't intend to tell anyone that there is a problem wiht MSD systems or any other type of ignition system. As I pointed out several times quite the contrary is true.

Any particular LED board can be defective so we have the lifetime warranty to cover that case. If that does not work then likely there is a problem with the alternator or regulator or some other failure of some sort.

Anyone can call us at 800-631-0507 Mon-Sat and we can discuss all of the details.

One of my personal Mustangs is a 65 fastback with a MSD6AL, Pertonix II, and flamethrower coil. I also have several friends with very high performance super high energy ignition systems in their Shelby's and they have no problems at all. Again we have sold thousands of kits through dealers like NPD and Mustangs Unlimited and of course directly.

FYI. One thing unique about our products is that they have what we call "Smart-Signal" technology. This means that they sequence when they are supposed to and not at seeming random times like hitting the brake when you are not signalling. Our kits are the only kits in the world with this patent pending technology.

Happy Motoring!
Mustang Project

gt bandit

To put the record straight

I have had issues with my Mproject rear lamps

However Richard has been extremely help full and sent previous User correspondence on the issue i have as it does appear NOT to be an isolated case. Grounding wires seem to be the issues , but I have to admit that its a little more investigative than i really have time for at the moment.
They did offer a full credit , of which i have not taken up due to the long distances involved and cost of postage.

So the Verdict is this

IMHO and i no way want to influence any one else on a decision.

Mproject is a reliable supplier who does support there product 100%.
I am not convinced that the LED lights provide the best possible rear brake lamp effect i require in OZ.
The incandescents are definitely more forgiving and work really well on my car at the moment. Plus replacements are only a buck and they can be found at most service stations.
It Appears my experience is one of only a small handful-land i posted accordingly.

I have the email correspondence on the issue if you wish to PM to better understand the problem i may have.

regards

shaun

zozobra

I guess I am curious about how bright they really are with respect to the original bulbs. I tried some AutoZone off-the shelf LED's that were not nearly as bright as the originals. I then found the number of LED's matters a lot. I also got into the issue of them working with the flasher so I gave up at that point. My individual taillight assembly wiring harnesses back there are patched together so I bought a set of complete housings with good harnesses. I hope to change all of that out in the next two weeks so I would be interested in changing out the original bulbs for these if they are even slightly better than stock and would get around the flasher issues. And, although these cars did not have sequential taillights originally I have alwasy enjoyed them.

I have a currently stock ignition J code car.

Opinions, anyone?

Thanks

68gt390

OK folks enough. I've been following this thread for the past several weeks or however long it's been running. What I'm about to say may not be politicaly correct but, I really don't care. Mustang Project has already stated they stand behind there product 100%. What more do you want. If it doesn't work on your car than get something else that does work. I've been running their lights for over 2 years and have had no problem. Everything that has been complained about in this thread I'm running on my car to include a new motor. See below quote from my previous post on this subject.

"I'm running the Project Mustang LED's, Crane Box, MSD Distributor, Blaster Coil and have had no issues. The problem may well be your brake switch on the brake pedal. I know I had to replace mine because someone in the past put a new switch on and put it in backwards so everytime I used the clutch my brake lights came on and eventually the whole plug broke off. I cut an old plug off an old harness I had and spliced it back in and turned it around and now it works fine."

I don't claim to be an expert on this subject but, I simply followed their instructions that were provided with the product and have had no problems. I think we are beating a dead horse. Myself, I like their product and have had many comments at shows about how cool the tail lights look. OK, I'm done. Now you can hang me out to dry!!!!! :cool:

zozobra: To answer your question, I've had several folks tell me they actually don't like being behind me when I hit my breaks - They get blinded. Hope this helps. At least I know folks are seeing my car now.

Don

Mosesatm

OK folks enough.
Don

Yes, Dad.

Good to see that someone is there to tell when when enough is enough. Be sure to tell us when we've talked enough on other threads, wouldn't want to go beyond our limit.:wink:

zozobra

I'm convinced

All of this got me moving on my car. I had no tail light protectors either so I spent the weekend installing them and putting in the new (to me) buckets and wiring harness system in the car. Now I have individaul wires going to each of the sockets. So I's give these a try.

Thanks for the advice.

joedls

I purchased the LEDs that replace the bulbs for my GT/CS. I also purchased the flasher that makes the turn signals sequential. I love them.

I also purchased the whole taillights that look like the GT/CS taillights for my 65 convertible. When I was leaving the Queen Mary car show, Mike (somethingspecial) asked to see the sequential lights. They didn't work. The light would just illuminate very brightly on the side I turned the signal on, but no flashing and no sequential operation. So I called the Mustang Projecta few days later and explained the problem. They confirmed my suspicion that it needed a new flasher unit. So they took my mailing information and said they would ship it that day. I asked them if they needed my credit card info and they informed me that the replacement was free because it had a lifetime gaurantee. I got the unit today, installed it, and now have my sequential turn signals again.

In my opinion this is a great product and the company stands behind it. I couldn't ask for more.

CougarCJ

I purchased the LEDs that replace the bulbs for my GT/CS. I also purchased the flasher that makes the turn signals sequential. I love them.

I also purchased the whole taillights that look like the GT/CS taillights for my 65 convertible. When I was leaving the Queen Mary car show, Mike (somethingspecial) asked to see the sequential lights. They didn't work. The light would just illuminate very brightly on the side I turned the signal on, but no flashing and no sequential operation. So I called the Mustang Projecta few days later and explained the problem. They confirmed my suspicion that it needed a new flasher unit. So they took my mailing information and said they would ship it that day. I asked them if they needed my credit card info and they informed me that the replacement was free because it had a lifetime gaurantee. I got the unit today, installed it, and now have my sequential turn signals again.

In my opinion this is a great product and the company stands behind it. I couldn't ask for more.

That makes sense, on the original cars they had heavy duty flashers installed.