• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 Mustang GT Coupe Project

Guyman

Have an original 1968 GT J code coupe project for sale.

Take a look at the Marti Report for details. Original California Mustang, always rust free...the battery apron was replaced (battery acid demise), but that's it...all the other sheetmetal is original Ford. Still has original motor and trans (out of the car)...and is a complete easy to restore rust free project.

I don't have pictures to post tonight., but if anyone is seriously interested, can sent some tomorrow. Too dark right now to take any. As I said., it's a project, but no sheet metal replacement needed...sweeeeet! Just sand and paint., body is strrrraiight!

Reluctently selling to fund other projects I need to finish. I use the have sequentially numbers GTs...this is one of the two. The other sold a few years ago., I tried to keep them together, but needed to sell the other to buy a Shelby. Bummer. Have owner for 7 years now.

Clear California title in my name on non-op.

Thanks., Guy...call for details 916-410-9558

Attachments

• marti3.jpg
    marti3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 122

robert campbell

Please take a shot of the shock towers. As a GT we are seeing most all of the 1968 Mustangs with the GT option had both a 9 inch 3.25 ratio as you Marti says and also stich welding of the shock tower area in the front and back of the bracing that hold the upper control arm.

Rob

OP
OP
G

Guyman

pictures

Here are a few pictures..I do believe the towers are stiched like you mentioned., this car and vin 1xx,x59 had the stich welding on the towers.

Attachments

• gt11.jpg
    gt11.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 66
  • gt15.jpg
    gt15.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 67
  • gt3.jpg
    gt3.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 59
  • gt9.jpg
    gt9.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 57

robert campbell

A pic would be awesome. Most big block Mustangs from 1967 up got the shock tower treatment until 1968 and 1/2 when they improved the complete shock tower area. The J code small block without the GT option seem to not have this welded shock towers nor the 9 inch rear end unless special ordered.

It seems that all (always an exception) J code 1968 Mustangs with the GT optioned ordered came equipped with the shock tower welding and the 9 inch 3.25 open rear end.

Do you know if the car has a 9 inch rear end? It is easy to tell from the rear. Below are a couple links to help you. Or if you can provide the tag numbers from the rear end, I can decode it for you.

Your car is helping us understand this major upgrade in strength that year. By the way, WHAT and awesome car!!

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

http://diyford.com/ford-axle-history-identification-ford-differentials/

Don

By the way, WHAT and awesome car!!
[/url]

Nice Marti report but is the car in the pics the same as what the Marti shows?

No CS side scoops, no CS trunk lid, no CS grille, no holes for

CS emblems........

robert campbell

Don,
This not a "California Special" Mustang. It is a standard coupe with a lot of options and one of those being the GT option. A very rare J code standard coupe and very valuable.

Not all California Special or High Country Special Mustangs are true "GT Optioned" cars. There are a few in our registry, but few came with this valuable option.

Rob

Don

Don,
This not a "California Special" Mustang. It is a standard coupe with a lot of options and one of those being the GT option. A very rare J code standard coupe and very valuable.

Not all California Special or High Country Special Mustangs are true "GT Optioned" cars. There are a few in our registry, but few came with this valuable option.

Rob

Ah, thanks for setting me straight Rob :smile:.
I was making the assumption that he was selling a GT optioned CT/GS. OOP's I meant CS/GT
Definitely a cool car and even cooler now that I understand what it is.

Did the 1968 302 really have a 4V engine, as the Marti indicates, or is it a 4 bbl?

Last edited:

classicsguy

I was making the assumption that he was selling a GT optioned CT/GS.

Did the 1968 302 really have a 4V engine, as the Marti indicates, or is it a 4 bbl?

I thought the same...don't worry

Mosesatm

I was making the assumption that he was selling a GT optioned CT/GS.

4V means it's a 4 venturi carburetor.

Don

4V means it's a 4 venturi carburetor.

Good info. thanks. Seems confusing since web search for 4V consistently turns up 4V to mean four valves and price guides refer to the carb as being either 2 bbl or 4 bbl.

Don

I thought the same...don't worry

Not worried. I saw the ad for a 1968 California J code GT on a California Special website so my brain automatically inserted the "special" :icon_lol:

Any idea of how many J code, sunlit gold, GT coupe, w C4 trans were made in '68?

OP
OP
G

Guyman

OK., to clear up some confusion....This is NOT a GT/CS....just a GT....I have had several people email me for pictures...then email me back to ask where all the fiberglass pcs. are!....lol

This is one of two J code GTs I had. I had sequentially numbered twins!...vin ending in 59 and the other in 60. It's along story how I ended up with both cars...but as luck would have it., I bought one in Northern California about 9 years ago., then about 6 months later., I found another ad for sale for another 68 GT coupe. I showed up at the guys house and noticed it was the same color and same options...hummm, I thought...so I bought the second car and brought it home., and low and behold., sequentially numbered GT coupes!...After getting the Marti report for both cars., found that they were both made on the same day., right after each other and sent to the same Ford Dealership!...I just happened to buy them both!...One in a million chances I am assuming....LOL...I guess that was my lottery win!.

I would love to keep the car., but have other plans on my plate right now...I know it looks like a project and it is., but the important thing is it's solid as hell., the floors still have the paint stick marking on them from the factory etc...so someone is gonna get a nice project!....Getting harder and harder to find nice project cars, even living in California...they are drying up!

Don

Whew, glad to see I wasn't the only one who did not read the OP correctly. Anyway nice car. A few questions:

Did it run when you got it?
Why is the engine and trans out?
Would you be able to put the engine/trans in the car for transportation?
Is all the sheet metal Ford or is some re-pop?
Why the different front valance, fender, hood (was it in a collision)?
Do you have all the GT trim (gas cap, fender logos...) and what condition are they in?
What is missing or will need replacement (bumpers, interior, ....)

I would send you a PM but I think more than just myself would be interested and more motivated to move forward depending on the answers.

Best Regards,
Don

Last edited:

robert campbell

Just for reference on a 1968 GT Equipped Mustang. This is the list it should have.

1. Pop Open GT gas cap
2. Fog Lights
3. Quad exhaust tips with the rear valance cutouts for them.
4. On this color car a black "C" stripe
5. Heavy rate rear leaf and front coil springs
6. Large diameter front sway bar

And because this is a J Code it may contain the following:

1. Welded reinforced Shock Towers
2. 9 inch 3.25 ratio open rear end. Marti says it is 3.25 and open, but not necessarily a 9 inch. My guess it is a 9 inch if it is following the pattern.

By 1968 the GT package was watered down a bit from previous years. Disc brakes and high performance engines were not a requirement.

Rob

teamlo

By 1968 the GT package was watered down a bit from previous years. Disc brakes and high performance engines were not a requirement.

Rob

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that you could get a GT or GTA in 1967 with the 289-2V (C code) engine. In 1965 and 1966, the GT option required a 4V engine (A or K code those years). As we know, 1968 was a very odd year for many reasons, one of which was the initial return to the 4V engine requirement for the GT option, later revised to allow the GT option with the X code 390-2V. At least that's how I remember it.

Terry

OP
OP
G

Guyman

Questions

Good questions Don...and the answers...

The can has never ran since I have owned it..it turns over but doesn't run..pulled the motor and trans to do a rebuild when restoring., paint the engine bay etc.

Don't think it was in any accidents...I fixed the fender because it had a wrinkle in it, so it's in primer...I have the original hood for the car, but it was damaged, so got an original ford...the front valance and rock guard are ford pcs..the original one looked like it hit a parking curb..hard to fix...the front headlight bucket is new because the tab was broke on the old one.

Again, the whole car needs restored...so will need new interior kit etc...look at the pictures!!!!! It's a project!!!

I have the original GT cap that can be cleaned up for a driver...fog light assembly, GT caps and wheels, I am not sure I have fender emblems! but can't recall??it's been 3 years since I have worked on it.

Basically the car needs restored...it has a few parts missing like the bumpers, a windshield and MAYBE a few ancillary parts. But whoever restores it is going to replace those parts anyway.

It does have all original drivetrain and rear end.

robert campbell

I believe you are correct. 1967 was the only year that I'm aware of when you could get a GT with a C code engine.

To my knowledge in 1967 you still had to have a the "A" code 289 as a minimum for the GT package. This is from the 1995 30th GT package anniversary edition of Mustang Monthly and from the original Ford option package data.

The 1968 GT option also required any V8 other than a 2V 289 according to original Ford option data and the same edition of Mustang Monthly.

One note for 1967 is the availability of a single exhaust Mustang having the GT option. I have seen a few of these GT and GTA examples.

I forgot the GT fender badge and the style steel argent wheels with GT caps and trim rings for the 1968 GT option.

Rob

sportyworty

The 3.25 ratio makes it a 9 inch.
The tough one is the 3.00 which was available in 8 and 9. Ford used the same code. I have had 2 Code E 3.00 ratio 68 GT J cars and both were 4 speed.
One cool thing for 68 was the only way to get a 9 inch was the GT option. In 67 the minimum engine was the K code so the A code GT was still a 8 inch.

Last edited: