• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. shelby's black hornet

J.Bart

i have heard of the green hornet exp, but i haven't heard of the black hornet
apparently it is going up for auction on dec 2nd
anyone have more info????

Attachments

• S7301400.jpg
    S7301400.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 97
  • S7301403.jpg
    S7301403.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 305
  • S7301404.jpg
    S7301404.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 79
  • S7301399.jpg
    S7301399.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 69

di81977

Here is a link to more info. My initial reaction - not very interesting from a historical perspective. Beautiful car and they do mention the GT/CS. It is a Green Hornet reproduction (minus EFI and independent rear suspension) that CS approved, sounds like in 2003. Surprised to see that it is in the Shelby registry.

http://www.restorationhardware.com/rh/shelby/1_index.jsp

P

PNewitt

What will they think up next?

No history on this car...Fred Goodell would have mentioned anything beyond Little Red, the Green Hornet, and the '68 conv. prototypes.

So, what does that C.S.S. stand for?

Paul N.

somethingspecial

No history on this car...Fred Goodell would have mentioned anything beyond Little Red, the Green Hornet, and the '68 conv. prototypes.

Paul N.[/QUOTE

"C.S.S." Continuation Shelby Series?????? That would explain being in the Shelby registry. With the Green Hornet being valued at 2mil, it would make sense to profit with the intro of a Black Hornet from Carrol Shelby's personal collection. "Is it live or is it Memorex"?, meaning is this a Shelby Clone by Shelby?, than that would bring up a question, 'If Shelby reproduces his own cars, are they clones? Confusing. Mike

Mustanger

Paul N.

CSS = How about Carroll Shelby & Smith (the guy, Barry Smith, responsible for this Shelby tribute car) ??? ... BTW, a note of interest, this Shelby copies the GT/CS with an all black rear panel instead of the argent :wink: ...

Midnight Special

From the website...

"Created under the direction of racing legend Caroll Shelby, the Shelby EXP500 CSS "Black Hornet" pays tribute to its chrome and green prototype, the Shelby Green Hornet, and is the only approved reproduction.

The car began life as a vintage 1968 Mustang, and was transformed into an authentic Shelby muscle car worthy of inclusion in the Shelby Worldwide Registry. Registered to Mr. Shelby and donated from his personal collection, the car is being auctioned by Restoration Hardware to benefit the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation™....

....To commemorate this groundbreaking Shelby, Barry Smith built a "new" EXP500, the "Black hornet," under license from Mr. Shelby using an original 1968 Ford Mustang. Painted "Stetson Black" in honor of the hat worn by the lanky Texan, the EXP500 CSS "Black Hornet" is identical to the Greent Hornet just after it received disc brakes but prior to the Colonic EFI or independent rear expension. Since 2003, the car has been owned by Mr. Shelby. The EXP500 CSS is a car so true to a specific moment in time, it's as if a time capsule was opened to celebrate American ingenuity at its best. It is truly the one, the only, the legendary EXP500 CSS "Black Hornet."

ahainline

I personally love the way it looks.. I know it isnt anything special really but I still think it looks pretty sharp

CougarCJ

I think I will wait for the Royal Maroon or Acapulco Blue Hornet, Y'all can bid on this one. :grin:

CougarCJ

It is hard for me to tell, is the deck lid a correct one piece fiberglass ... or is it a regular deck lid with a spoiler mounted on it? Looks like it has a division line?