• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Black Hornet

Midnight Special

...Why not?
With the awareness of "Green Hornet" and historical interest sparked - someone can now have a chance to own as close to the real thing. Plus - it's Shelby who is doing it (not one of us) and there is already a full-price bid w/ 7 days to go, so it's obviously lucrative...

A few of those might call more attention to our CSs too (in a round'bout way), don't you think?

J.Bart

i think it was someones idea to raise money for Carrol's foundation and maybe recognition for the builder that Carrol had built it

P

PNewitt

I wish i had the money, i would buy this car

David,

Let's build one.

I'm sure that this "Black Hornet" does not have IRS. I know where you can get one made.

Between Martin Euler (the restorer) and myself, we know every nut and bold on that car...and the color code for the paint.

It's a weird name (Black Hornet) because the Green Hornet name is from a Cosby show--Fat Albert.

Paul.

CougarCJ

It's a weird name (Black Hornet) because the Green Hornet name is from a Cosby show--Fat Albert.

Paul.

What?

The Green Hornet was from a 1930's radio show, then a TV series in the 1960's (think Bruce Lee as Kato).

P

PNewitt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Albert_and_the_Cosby_Kids

Scroll down to "Reoccuring Characters", and find 'Brown Hornet".

Cosby drove Little Red, and I think he named it that...as a pun on the fact that it had such a huge engine with a Paxton (like naming a big guy "tiny"). I can't prove the Green Hornet/Cosby connection, but it's likely.

And yes, the TV show was a big hit about then, too.

There were all kinds of names like that back then, like BOSS, JUDGE, etc...

Oh, the 60's!! They say that "if you remember the 1960's, you weren't really there".

Side note--if you watch the ABC show: "Life on Mars", you really get a feel for 1973. A very interesting show that takes us back. Well....some of us... LOL!

Paul.

68gt390

Paul;
I found the following comment in regards to the Green Hornet in the posted ad very interesting:

"This development mule was far ahead of its time and also served as the prototype for the "GT/CS" model Shelby before being turned into a test car."

And yet they won't accept our car's in the Shelby registry?? Did I miss something here or am I off base?

Don

Mustanglvr

...Why not?
With the awareness of "Green Hornet" and historical interest sparked - someone can now have a chance to own as close to the real thing. Plus - it's Shelby who is doing it (not one of us) and there is already a full-price bid w/ 7 days to go, so it's obviously lucrative...

A few of those might call more attention to our CSs too (in a round'bout way), don't you think?

You`re right Tim, it will help raise the awareness of these cars.

How can they legally claim that there will be 500 or less miles on the odometer at delivery, if the car itself is a vintage car? Yes, the engine may have that many, but the body? Don`t they have to claim actual miles? I wonder what the car originally came with for an engine and/or options? I guess it`s an S code, 8R01S108113.

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

Paul;
I found the following comment in regards to the Green Hornet in the posted ad very interesting:

"This development mule was far ahead of its time and also served as the prototype for the "GT/CS" model Shelby before being turned into a test car."

And yet they won't accept our car's in the Shelby registry?? Did I miss something here or am I off base?

Don

The original Green Hornet was a pilot production GT/CS. I'm trying to connect the GH to the GT/SC prototype. After all, that car wouldn't have a future otherwise--and they sent it over to Shelby Automotive, a converted Olds dealership in Ionia, and did the mods.

There was supposed to be a company named "Legendary Cars" making GH's and Little Reds. But after a few years, I haven't seen any. Heck, I should make these cars and get Shelby's blessing. At least offer that bolt-in IRS setup that's based on a '93 T-Bird setup.

It's just amazing how just about anyone else can make a Mustang into a Shelby, and then make six figures, just because Carroll blessed the car.

The GT/CS Registry is accepted in the 1996 SAAC Registry, as a Shelby-Automotive-designed Mustang. Team Shelby (as far as my talking to them-- said no to us being in their registry.)

We'll just keep doing our own thing and doing it very well, as we have here and everywhere else. I think we've made a big mark in the Mustang world anyway..

The GH and Little Red (VINs) ARE listed in the 1996 SAAC Registry, and in the upcoming edition.

Paul N.

Midnight Special

It's just amazing how just about anyone else can make a Mustang into a Shelby, and then make six figures, just because Carroll blessed the car.

Paul N.

...They've been doing the same thing with certain vintage airplanes as well. You can now buy a brand new (1930s) Waco Bi-plane that you can't tell apart from a pristine original. Shelby's name and the fact that someone can get a brand new GH (or BH) to me is pretty cool.

As for our GT/CSs not being in the SAAC registry - doesn't bother me a bit. Let the guys paying those six-figures have their own registry. Otherwise, one can argue that all years of HCS and other Mustang Specials should be in your GT/CS registry.

'Just a thought. (I prefer to remain "stand alone" and unique as we are;-)

P

PNewitt

What SAAC did was honor the GT/CS in that huge 1996 World Registry by asking me to write up a two-page short history.

I didn't expect them to list (my) cars of the GT/CS Registry, but they at least honored us.

As always, I have every expectation that we'll do our own thing as we always have. It's funny...that is, we've been kinda snubbed by both Mustang clubs and Shelby folks over the years...as a kinda "bastard child" that no one knows what to do with... Well, not literally, but our uniqueness tends to make it difficult for some. That is why I've been so dedicated for so long, to carve out our own niche. We are who we are, and no one will ever change that. There is great pride in owning a GT/CS.

(no offense to the Mustang and Shelby clubs...I'm just making a generalized point. Many, many fine folks in those organizations).

Paul N.

GT/CS S Code

The price is climbing ...

Well, with about 18 hours to go on this charity auction I see that there are now 30 bids so far, with the current high bid at $131,100.00 US ....
:eek:
Must be nice to have money .... I just have 2 classic Mustangs that seem to keep me broke!
:rolleyes:

GT/CS S Code

Auction is finished ...

Well, I see that the buyer paid $160,100.00 US for the "Black Hornet" charity auction car in the end. I wonder who the new owner is ....?

rvrtrash

It was me! I used my last months bonus from my job with AIG because I couldn't figure out what else to spend it on. Oh, wait, it's not April 1st. Never mind. :grin:

Steve

Mosesatm

It was me! I used my last months bonus from my job with AIG because I couldn't figure out what else to spend it on. Oh, wait, it's not April 1st. Never mind. :grin:

Steve

Check out the view from my office window. I get to look at them every day. The picture was taken a few days after Ike.

Attachments

• AIG.jpg
    AIG.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 44
P

PNewitt

IF this car makes money for the Children's Fund, and someone is willing to pay that kind of money, then great.

But, in my opinion, I don't find this tribute/continuation/replica "Shelby" built in the same spirit as what Fred Goodell and the crew did in 1968.

Doug--thanks for the L.A. Times article. They failed to mention that it was built from a GT/CS prototype, and that the GH was built in 1968, not 1967.

I wonder....we have the resources here to actually make a very accurate GH if we wanted to. I wonder what the Shelby folks would think if "outsiders" built very nice GH or Little Red replicas, and then for a (hefty?) CSCF fee, get Carroll's blessing, signature on the dash, and the VIN listed in the Team Shelby Registry?

An idea worth thinking about, which could spill over into other Shelby replicas of any year. They would be registered AS replicas, but have some sort of aknowledgment via Team Shelby--for a price.

Paul N.