• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Bonnie and Clyde S code 4 speed

lnevill

Got to start somewhere so I figured $50K (now reduced to $40k) was a nice round figure! I'll be putting her on E-Pay in the near future, but wanted to offer her here first.

Here's your chance to own a very rare California Special with a very unique history. One of 111 S code 4 speed cars and the only one of those in Brittany Blue, this freshly restored beauty still sports it's original VIN stamped engine, transmission and 9" rear-end (all rebuilt of course).

This rare GT/CS had a rough life! In 1995 it was involved in a domestic dispute where it was shot full of holes by a very jealous husband. Every panel, light, glass, fixture, tire, wheel, etc, etc were subjected to repeated blasting from multiple weapons of various caliber. There were over 130 shots estimated with well over 200 holes throughout the entire car. He was angry!

The local mustang guys at the time began calling this car Bonnie & Clyde…

It was purchased from the insurance company and the initial restoration began. The frame rails, shock towers, roof, pillars and floors survived but just about everything else was replaced with NOS panels and parts from various donor cars. The owner lost interest along the way and the car set for many years until we purchased it in 2013. Bonnie & Clyde underwent a complete rotisserie restoration and the result is what you see here! Not a concourse car by any means, but a very nicely restored numbers matching driver with a very interesting history!

No surprises here. I'll tell you everything that I know about this car and how it was restored. I'm sure you'll like it!

Lee Nevill
Boise, Idaho

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 268
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 240
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 238
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 259
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 262
  • fenders and top 013s.jpg
    fenders and top 013s.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

The_Dude

Very nice car. Since it was bought from the insurance company, does it have a branded title?

wallace

Original pics

Hi, do you have pics of the shot up car before restoration? What pieces were damaged beyond repair in the car and engine that could not be replaced if any with original parts?
Thanks Wallace

OP
OP
lnevill

lnevill

I don't have any pictures of the shot-up car, yet. The police reports were not available and the owner at the time has passed away. I have spoken with his brother and there is a chance he may have some pictures stowed away.

NOS or original parts were used most everywhere. The intake, exhaust manifold and heads are from a 1967 S code engine. Carb is Holley street avenger. The doors, hood and front fenders are from a 68 donor car as are the side and back glass and light fixtures. Rear 1/4s are nos 67 panels. Deck lid, rear extensions and tail light panel are original fiberglass, repaired.

Hope this helps

Lee

OP
OP
lnevill

lnevill

Bonnie and Clyde did not sell on the first go around, although the after auction action got close. We are posting again today and will see what happens. I may just have to keep her!

Lee

PS: Price reduced to $45000

platnumheart666

Bonnie and Clyde did not sell on the first go around, although the after auction action got close. We are posting again today and will see what happens. I may just have to keep her!

Lee

PS: Price reduced to $45000

Would love to buy! We have posted our numbers matching 1968 S-code Torino GT for sale, so you never know. If you still have her when we have the $ we will definitely be talking.

OP
OP
lnevill

lnevill

Price reduced

The 2nd auction completed and again the after auction action is very close to my reserve, but not quite there yet. I have lowered the price to $42.5k.

Would love to hear your opinions on this price. Is this still too high for a non-concourse, but very well restored S code 4 speed? Is it the Bonnie and Clyde effect (all panels being replaced)? Or have I just not found the right buyer, yet?

Thanks!

Lee

platnumheart666

The 2nd auction completed and again the after auction action is very close to my reserve, but not quite there yet. I have lowered the price to $42.5k.

Would love to hear your opinions on this price. Is this still too high for a non-concourse, but very well restored S code 4 speed? Is it the Bonnie and Clyde effect (all panels being replaced)? Or have I just not found the right buyer, yet?

Thanks!

Lee

I believe that $40K is 100% what I would pay for this and only regret that I have not sold my 1968 Torino to purchase your GT/CS. From what I have seen this is not an inflated price, especially when J codes are reaching $30K and above. But it is worth only what someone would pay for it. I know I would in a heartbeat and if I didn't just buy Annie's '68 GT/CS I would.

Just my 2 Cents.

-Frank

OP
OP
lnevill

lnevill

Trades considered

I should add that I am always looking for solid Ford/Mercury projects. I would consider any big block, K code, boss or Shelby PROJECT as trade. Would love to find a 68/69 formal roof Torino cobra 4 speed or a 66 cyclone or......

Lee

platnumheart666

I should add that I am always looking for solid Ford/Mercury projects. I would consider any big block, K code, boss or Shelby PROJECT as trade. Would love to find a 68/69 formal roof Torino cobra 4 speed or a 66 cyclone or......

Lee

So no love for the Fastbacks? I do have a 1 of 38 numbers matching 1968 GT Torino S code 390. Say that and some $$$-$$$$?

http://www.cars-on-line.com/68611.html

DeadStang

Is this still too high for a non-concourse, but very well restored S code 4 speed? Is it the Bonnie and Clyde effect (all panels being replaced)? Or have I just not found the right buyer, yet?

I saw your car at the thing over Labor Day Weekend in Canada...the green X-code CS between you and the red S-code? Yours is a VERY, VERY nice car! My thoughts on your questions, since you asked...

A little high in price. Don't get me wrong--I am on my 3rd CS so I obviously am into these cars, but you are in the S-Code fastback price range. The general, buying public would take a fastback any day--hands down--over a Coupe, no matter how cool the Coupe.

The Bonnie and Clyde thing is off-putting for those of us who are spoiled West Coasters and are used to buying/having cars with little to no metal work or panel replacement.

And yes, you haven't found the right buyer yet. It seems to me that eBay only brings bids up to anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of what I think actual value is. Their site is a way to reach people to advertise, but I wonder how many cars actually sell for real there anymore? Lots of guys I talk with don't even look at eBay anymore?

Having said all of that, I have no cash, but I'd trade you a couple of my cars for this CS! ;)

p51

I have lowered the price to $42.5k.

Per the first posting on this thread, I thought your original asking prices was $42.5K (headscratch)...

Anyway, have you thought of taking it to an auction (eg Barrett-Jackson)? From the prices I've seen it appears that those auctions net a sizable premium over either selling on-line or locally. Apparently there are just enough bidders with more dollars than sense who show up resulting in top $ to the sellers.

OP
OP
lnevill

lnevill

Thanks for the inputs!

Deadstang: I absolutely loved your original X-code survivor. It was really cool having 3 big block GT/CS's parked right next to each other at the show. I agree with your thoughts. I've ran 3 restored cars on e-bay and 2 of them have sold after the auction. E-bay is becoming more of an advertising site then an auction site. I debated on the Bonnie and Clyde panel replacement disclosure, but I've always disclosed which panels were replaced during the restoration so I didn't really think it would matter WHY they were replaced. It's better then rust repair and a story that needs to go with the car. What other cars do you have that you might want to trade out?

P51: I edited the original post from $50k to $42.5k so don't headscratch to much!! I would never buy a car at the BJ auction for many reasons (mainly that you can't drive it before you buy it) so I am not too excited selling a car there. They require no reserve (you can't set a minimum) and I've seen several guys have to decide whether to buy their own car back or let it go for a loss. They also charge both a buyers vig and a sellers vig. If anything, I would do Russo and Steele as they allow a reserve.

Thanks for you input guys!

Lee

DeadStang

Thanks for the inputs!
It was really cool having 3 big block GT/CS's parked right next to each other at the show.

I've always disclosed which panels were replaced during the restoration so I didn't really think it would matter WHY they were replaced. It's better then rust repair...

It WAS cool--and it just randomly worked out that I was directed to park between you two guys! Kind of embarrassing, tho, to be the only ratty looking car, sandwiched between two beautifully restored examples of the CSs.

I agree about the integrity of disclosing the work when selling, and I also heartily agree about the nature of the repairs done on this car vs. rust repair. It just isn't a "virgin" anymore, which bothers some people. I have a '69 Coupe that had floors and quarters done (wrong number of ribs, etc) and he had a hard time selling it at the time. But a virgin car would've been worth quite a bit more and difficult to find...sometimes, with these rare birds, you take what you can find.

I'll PM you here.

Midnight Special

...There are many exotics (GT/CS and Shelby) commanding huge prices with little to nothing "virgin" about them. I think you can do it with good disclosure, invitation to inspect & drive and above all, enthusiasm with the right buyer. In other words... I think we'd like to see you get the higher price so to encourage more respect for future (quality) restorers, if you know what I'm saying...