• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted A/C Vacuum actuators

franklinair

I need 2 vacuum actuators for a '68 A/C system. New or used. Best source?

Neil

whodat

Rock Auto
Bought 4 from them.
Motorcraft YH161

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1968Cally

Rock Auto
Bought 4 from them.
Motorcraft YH161

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also bought four. RA was by far the cheapest. If you have the under dash all apart, I would replace all four if they are originals.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Reggi (Tequila) generously sent me 2 new ones so I'm OK now. I test them all with my vacuum tester.
Once everything is assembled and the dash is all back together, you sure don't want to have to go back in the dash again to replace a faulty actuator. (Ask me how I know.):eek:

Neil

wallace

All,

What is the additional bracket on these actuators? Does it come off or affect the way its mounted?

Also, how many are required for 68 Mustang? 2 for plenum? Thanks Wallace

Rock Auto only has 1 left. I'll have to look for others.

Thanks, Wally

Last edited:

1968Cally

All,

What is the additional bracket on these actuators? Does it come off or affect the way its mounted?

Also, how many are required for 68 Mustang? 2 for plenum? Thanks Wallace

Rock Auto only has 1 left. I'll have to look for others.

Thanks, Wally
Not sure about the extra bracket. The ones I got just had the one bracket spot welded to the pot. Are you talking about the flat rod that is about two inches long? That attaches to the actuator coming out of the pot. It is longer than the original so just take the original off the old actuator and put it on the new. The rod they include makes it universal to many vehicles.

There are a total of four under the dash I have attached three diagrams. One has a functionality chart. I found these to be worth their weight in gold when do mine and testing it. Also, get a kit of all the hoses (color coded) that you need. Several of our regular vendors have them.

Note the under hood stuff. The vacuum water valve is for shutting off the water to the heater core when A/C is on (easily tested), and the vacuum canister stores vacuum. Make sure the check valve is working in the canister (easily tested).

The two under dash ones to the right of center (one on the plenum and the other above the right kick panel are the easy ones). Take off glove compartment and door to make it easier. The two to the left of center of the dash are tucked up and away. I was able to get to them with the radio and console out, ashtray and cluster out. Also had both front seats out and the steering wheel off. I just am not that limber anymore! Even with all that out, it was trick but doable.

Good luck

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Vacuum Diagnosis.jpg
    Vacuum Diagnosis.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Vacuum Engine Compartment.jpg
    Vacuum Engine Compartment.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Vacuum Passenger Compartment.jpg
    Vacuum Passenger Compartment.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 23