• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New to Hobby! HELP!!

11BLUE

I found a 1967 Mustang sitting in the weeds in Southwest Louisiana! It has the deluxe hood, one side scoop with meshing on the pasenger side (the one on the drivers side is missing) and rear "California Special" badges on the rear quarters. The trunk lid spoiler appears to be metal. I need some help to find out if this is a correct "CS" or a reproduction built by someone. The door tag is missing. Were the rear spoilers fiberglass or metal on the originals?
Thanks!
Bob

Talan423

bob- the original deck lids were fiberglass. the only way to verify if the car is a true california special is to submit the VIN to kevin marti (link on the left side of this page under "resources") it will cost you a few dollars and take a few days. good luck with your find!

tom

68gt390

[quote author=11BLUE link=board=1;threadid=1327;start=0#msg7643 date=1106095056]
I found a 1967 Mustang sitting in the weeds in Southwest Louisiana! It has the deluxe hood, one side scoop with meshing on the pasenger side (the one on the drivers side is missing) and rear "California Special" badges on the rear quarters. The trunk lid spoiler appears to be metal. I need some help to find out if this is a correct "CS" or a reproduction built by someone. The door tag is missing. Were the rear spoilers fiberglass or metal on the originals?

Thanks!
Bob
[/quote]

Bob;
First off, if it's a 67 it's not a GT/CS. They were all 68 model cars. The entire rear deck lid of the CS was fiberglass with duck tail spoiler all in one piece as well as the rear quarter extensions, lower back panel around the tail lights and the side scoops behind each door on the car. If the rear deck lid spoiler appears to be metal something is wrong. Check the "VIN" located on the dash through the front window on the passenger side. If there is no "VIN" there check the drivers side fender under the hood. You may have to remove the fender to see the "VIN" since most if not all the San Jose cars had the "VIN" stamped behind the cutout in the fender. "VIN" should read 8R01XXXXXXX. If "VIN" doesn't start with 8R01 that's your first sign of it not being a real CS. I would also do as Tom suggested, submit the "VIN" to Kevin Marti for a Marti Repot. Also, check some of the gallery photo's, it will give you a pretty good idea of what the grill's looked like on the CS. Also, did the hood have the correct hood pins? That would be another sign of a non CS.

Don

Talan423

i also just noticed that in your post you say the car is a 1967. the california special was only made in 1968. double check... the 67 and 68 look very similar. i always look at the front fenders, if there is a side marker light, that means it's a 1968.
is the front grille still on the car. the california special had a 67 grille with two brackets that held the fog lamps, there is no running horse.

hope this helps
tom