• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 steering column

lenta

Bad weather in the garage, I need a new steering column for my "68 HCS. Mine is too far gone to overhaul.
Who (supplier) has a complete steering column, no tilt? Can't find it at CJpony or Dallas mustang
Prefer a new one. Any ideas?

Lenta NL

OP
OP
lenta

lenta

The gearing of the steering/pitman shaft relative to the piston is worn.The wheelhouse can not be adjust. This is what my mechanic told me.

Ruppstang

It sounds like you may need a new steering box, not a collumn. Is your car a right hand drive or a left hand drive? Marty

franklinair

It's been a while, but as I recall, the steering column is splined where it mates in the steering box. And I've never seen the splines wear.
The problem of excessive play is usually due to worn gears in the steering box itself. If there is no adjustment left to remove any 'play', the steering box would need to be replaced.
A good used box shouldn't be too hard to find.

Neil

GreenSpark

It's been a while, but as I recall, the steering column is splined where it mates in the steering box. And I've never seen the splines wear.
The problem of excessive play is usually due to worn gears in the steering box itself. If there is no adjustment left to remove any 'play', the steering box would need to be replaced.
A good used box shouldn't be too hard to find.

Neil

Concur. And there was a "how to" article in Mustang Monthly a ways back. Perhaps the mechanic mixed terms. You could also send it off to get rebuilt (e.g. http://www.stangerssite.com/GBrebuilding.html -- not an endorsement, just a Google search. Sorry if I violated a forum rule).

Cheers,
-GreenSpark

dalorzo_f

Stanger does great work, but there have been recent posts elsewhere with issues on turnaround. A typical story; one-man shop dedicated to doing-it-right gets some good press, things get busy, things get cranky when orders "take too long"...

Randy does great work, I've used him in the past, but just beware it could be months....

Ruppstang

Rodes restoration in Ohio does great work on anything to do with steering . Rodger just did my stuff 2 weeks ago and turned it around 2 days after he got it! Marty

CougarCJ

X3 on Roger Rodes.

lenta, could also be the coupler or rag joint.

franklinair

There are lots of wear points in the steering system to cause 'loose' steering. Presumably, their mechanic checked these all, and concluded the problem to be wear in the steering box.

Neil

OP
OP
lenta

lenta

I send it off to get rebuilt. They are specialized in (only) steering systems. He pointed to the column and not the steering box.
"It's hydraulic medium can not be recalibrated". He already rebuilt the pump and steering rack. My problem is also distance, if I don't know exactly what I need/whats wrong, I can't sent it back without (high) shippingcost.

Lenta

OP
OP
lenta

lenta

Now I know what we need: a steering box. But is it a STEERING BOX 1-1/8" SECTOR SHAFT 16:1 RATIO or STEERING BOX 1" SECTOR SHAFT 16:1 RATIO, still have to find out.

CougarCJ

lenta, most likely you have the SMB-K box - 16:1 and 1-1/8 inch sector shaft. You say 16:1 ratio, so can we assume that you have power steering and not manual steering with handling package?

SMB-K is the part number on the tag for an assembled steering box with a power steering pitman arm.

1 inch sector shaft steering boxes would have been installed by Ford prior to May 1, 1967 (SMK-E).