• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear axle blue paint mark

somethingspecial

When I was growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I lived not far from the Oakland Airport. Therefore many of the neighbors were mechanics of some sort. I remember seeing lots of vehicles with no hubcaps and/or being worked on in their driveways. I also remember seeing lots of axles with blue paint on the center hubs. I asked several experts here, as well as some old time mechanics about this and no one seems to know or remember what I am talking about.

When restoring my Concours car axles, I discovered traces of blue paint in the axle hub, confirming what I remember. I matched the paint and sprayed the axle as I remembered.

Today, while checking the brakes on my driver GT/CS, I discovered blue paint in the axle hubs. This thoroughly confirms what I remember and since this is two GT/CSs with the blue marks, I feel this is something that was on the car when it left the factory. I also believe this marking to be an inspector mark to show a completed and inspected brake assembly. These marks are on both a 9” and an 8” rear axle, so it is a universal mark.

To challenge my memory, I tried to remember what cars had the blue axles and I remember a ‘63 Ford Galaxy, a late 60s Ford pick-up, and a ’66 Ford Fairlane. Family members owned an auto repair shop and I was always hanging with my dad, who spent a lot of time there. I saw lots of blue axles there, but couldn’t tell you what on.

I am basing this solely on my memories, as no one can confirm or deny this discovery and its significance. If anyone has further information, PLEASE post it so we can confirm what this blue mark means.

Attachments

• GTCS starting day 011.jpg
    GTCS starting day 011.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_3280.jpg
    100_3280.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_3281.jpg
    100_3281.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 64

CougarCJ

I'll take a look in the wrecking yard. I'll see what I can find and report.

Ruppstang

I can not tell you what they mean but blue and white seem to be common on most Both my 67 and 68 both were SJ cars and have white. Marty

Attachments

• 68 HCS Restoration 005.JPG
    68 HCS Restoration 005.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 67

green56

Axle blue paint

this has nothing to do with the blue paint but just wondering if Cougar cj would you have a radio faceplate for a 66 radio with am/8 track faceplate since you have a yard with cars if you have one laying around Thanks

CougarCJ

this has nothing to do with the blue paint but just wondering if Cougar cj would you have a radio faceplate for a 66 radio with am/8 track faceplate since you have a yard with cars if you have one laying around Thanks

We only have 1967-73 Mercury Cougars on the ground.

J_Speegle

Mike - when I was at your place long ago that J code coupe that was on the trailer in your driveway had a blue mark in the center of the drivers side axle (28 spline)

Have not see this that often - have also seen some with yellow on the passenger axle (again 28 spline) in the center recess

CougarCJ

Haven't had a chance to look for blue on those axles yet.
Yellow paint daubs on certain passenger side pieces is common. Engine frame stands for sure, and some other front suspension component, but it escapes me right now.

J_Speegle

Yellow paint daubs on certain passenger side pieces is common. Engine frame stands for sure, and some other front suspension component, but it escapes me right now.

Then some yellow was not for orientation but it seems - just so workers could see the part quickly is dimmer locations - one example would be motor mounts on some cars ;)