• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS CJ

case12

I know this is in Paul's book somewhere. But, does anyone know how many CS 428's there were? How many are registered? I am sure Jason would love to know for the same reasons I am interested. If there is one for sale (original) in good condition, I would like to know. Casey

390cs68rcode

I thought I remember Bob saying there are 3-4 around including his.

YES, I would be interested in any that surface as well!

P

PNewitt

I think that if Bob Teets had a Marti Report done on the CJ, it should say "how many" on it.

That is, if Bob would want to reveal that... ::)

meadowsdk28

I may be short memory on this, but the #'s where something like Bob's HCS was 1 of 6 or 1 of 9. That was just HCS's though. Not GT/CS's. Don't remember seeing any #'s of GT/CS's.

P

PNewitt

I "knew" someone would say that....but that's OK, "M28". LOL. As "Q" would say to Bond: "Never look more clever than you are; because you're more clever than you look"

If you consider that the Marti Report data "thinks" that the HCS is really GT/CS production (i.e. the "economy" report doesn't indicate HCS), then one could surmise that whatever Bob got was for ALL of the HCS and GT/CS production combined.

So, what does Bob think?

Paul N.

OP
OP
case12

case12

Wow - I didnt know this was such a tough question. The only one I have ever seen is Bob's, and HCS. I havent seen a GT/CS CJ. I guess we wait on Bob as the guru on this one. I would seriously love to find one in good shape to buy. Casey

meadowsdk28

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=0#msg12742 date=1122046475]
I "knew" someone would say that....but that's OK, "M28". LOL. As "Q" would say to Bond: "Never look more clever than you are; because you're more clever than you look"

[/quote]

Dang! Set me up!! :)

hicountrybob

Hey, people, I'll get a post out to the site sometime this evening concerning the CJ CS and HCS Mustangs as I DO have some most interesting info to share with you all, concerning the production #'s. For your advance info, Paul N. has 2 CJ Cal Sp's listed in his '96 registry. Until later this evening, hi country bob here.

hicountrybob

OK, guys here we go on CJ stuff!!!!! For you, CASEY, be aware that Paul N. has 2 Cal Spec. R code cars in his '96 book, being 8R01R160376 and 8R01R166017 and perhaps others by now. How about it, Paul? Talk to us!!!!!!!! Too bad none of the CS CJ owners are active here on Jon's site And for you, JASON AND DOUG M., there are 6 HCS R codes in my registry including mine. I've MET and TALKED to 4 of these owners, the 5th I've only talked to on the phone, and I talk to myself all the time. 3 of these cars are here in the Denver area, 1 is in South Dakota, one is in Wyoming, and one is owned in Minn. Now before I get to my MARTI ELITE REPORT, get this stuff! I believe it was in the summer of 2003 that Kevin Marti called me and asked me how many '68 HCS cars were made. I said "geez, Kevin , you tell me, you've got the data base, and I've only got a Ford flyer that was inserted in a nearby racetrack program that says 250 to be made". click,click,click(his computer running), He said " You're short , Bob, there was 251 made". Then, he asked how many CJ cars were in my registery. I told him 6 and he asked for the vins click, click, click again. He said I was missing 3 and he gave me the 3 cars vin #'s. And these 3 are not among the 2 in Pauls book. I'm going to start a new post. Hang on.

hicountrybob

Hang on, people, more tomorrow P M. It's 2 o'clock in the morning here right now. Tomorrow, my Marti report on my CJ, and I'll try to start a new thread on my X code Marti report, also. Man, am I sleepy, hicountry bob

hicountrybob

Here, gang is my Marti Elite Report on my CJ HCS. The upper left lists the following: Of the 317,411 1968 Mustangs, 249,448 were Hardtops. Of them, 4,118 were ordered with the GT/CS option. 251 were High Country Specials. 9 were ordered with the 428CJ engine and 5 had Automatic Transmissions. Of those, 3 were painted Candyapple Red and 1 had Red standard bucket seats. This is that car. NOW, on the 2nd sheet of the report, lower left, lists the following information: Your vehicle was ordered with the following options: California Special GT Equipment Group Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic F70x14 Belted Traction Tires Power Disc Brakes Power Steering AM Radio Tinted Glass Deluxe Belts--- THEN, 2 LINES DOWN STATES '' Although this car is billed as a California Special, it is actually a High Country Special. ANOTHER 2 LINES DOWN STATES "Your car was actually produced on July 1, 1968--one day ahead of schedule. THEN KEVIN MARTI SIGNED THE REPORT. Anything I missed, overlooked, left out, or any questions you might have, I'll give it my best shot if you post up. I really hesitate to state the following but here goes- ONE of my other 5 in the registry, I believe, could be bought and I would call this owner for you and give him your ph. # and hopefully he would call you and HOPEFULLY you would NOT low ball him or jerk him around or respond in such a way as to pee him off and/or embarrass me also. 'nite, you guys and gals. hicountry bob here. OH, Coming up could be the scoop on my X code HCS, if this would be of interest to some of you??? let me know, and WOW it"s almost one o'clock here, nite. Bob T.

OP
OP
case12

case12

Bob, so if I read your post right:

9 GT/CS with 428CJ of which 5 or 6 are in the HCS registry, and 2 are in the GT/CS registry? But, there seems to be a disconnect that Kevin M found 3 that are not in Paul's 2 in the directory?

I left you a direct message as well. Casey

C160223

Casey,
the way I read it is that there are 9 HCS CJ's in total +
2 GT/CS CJ's in the registry, possible more out there, only Kevin Marti would know.

Mosesatm

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=0#msg12880 date=1122484431]
Bob, so if I read your post right:

9 GT/CS with 428CJ of which 5 or 6 are in the HCS registry, and 2 are in the GT/CS registry? But, there seems to be a disconnect that Kevin M found 3 that are not in Paul's 2 in the directory?

I left you a direct message as well. Casey
[/quote]

The way I read Bob's first post regarding Kevin's statements, Kevin says there are 9 HCS 428CJs. Kevin doesn't seem to be including the GT/CSs because he said there are 251 built. Since the 251 applies only to HCSs I assume the 9 also applies to only HCSs.

It looks like, from Kevin's statement and Bob's Marti report, that we don't know how many GT/CSs there are with 428CJs but we know of the 2 in Paul's book.

Jason, have you booked your flight to Minnesota yet?

Mustanglvr

Hey I heard that a law enforcement officer in a small town about 20 miles from me has a 68 HCS. I wonder if thats the one you all are talking about? I heard it was Highland green like my GT/CS. Rhonda

hicountrybob

OK--- TO ''C160223'' and TO ''mosesatm''. You are so RIGHT ON with your post. Thank you for that. And this TO ''Casey'', I think, Casey, you will get RIGHT ON if you review my post ie. remember that HC cars are DSO 51 whereas Cal SP are not DSO 51. AND when I look at the DSO's on the 2 CAL SP 428 cars in Paul's book, I find that car #8R01R160376 is DSO 74 and that car #8R01R166017 is DSO 73, thus Cal Spec's cars, not HCS cars. I think this will clear some of the mysteries concerning CJ's. As a side note, guys, see that K. Marti states 4118 Cal SP were made? I assume that this means those cars with the GT/CS Equipment Group totaled 4118 but including 251 HCS= you cal sp owners can only claim a production of 3867 (Good for you, huh?) Anything else, Casey, C160223, Mosesatm, Paul N. --- post away and let's see if we are on the same page. Yours in the faith (GT/CS HCS)---hicountry bob here. thanks

OP
OP
case12

case12

OK, thanks for setting me straight Bob - So, to summarize:

9 HCS with 428 CJ

? GT/CS with 428 CJ (2 known in registry)

I might guess that if the percentages were the same that nine 428 HCS's out of 251 HCS is 3.5%. So, 3.5% of 3867 GT/CS's is one hundred and thirty five 428 GT/CS's. Amazing we only know of two of them?

Casey

390cs68rcode

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=15#msg12902 date=1122557769]

9 HCS with 428 CJ

I might guess that if the percentages were the same that nine 428 HCS's out of 251 HCS is 3.5%. So, 3.5% of 3867 GT/CS's is one hundred and thirty five 428 GT/CS's. Amazing we only know of two of them?

Casey
[/quote]

OR

there was a few HCS dealers that got a good idea to order a few 428 and maybe only a handful of CS's were made.

I would be willing to carry SOME of the cost to have Kevin Marti give us the EXACT numbers of 428's (and even all the other engine sizes especially 390's). This would be VERY good info for Paul's updated book.

Anyone else ready to chip in some $$$ to find out the TRUE numbers?

Canuck CSter

Team CS,

I don't have much, but I would be willing to PONY up for the better of the group...and in the qwest of knowledge for all about our cars..

Count me in J

DR in Ottawa

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=15#msg12904 date=1122559076]
[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=15#msg12902 date=1122557769]

9 HCS with 428 CJ

Casey
[/quote]

OR

there was a few HCS dealers that got a good idea to order a few 428 and maybe only a handful of CS's were made.

I would be willing to carry SOME of the cost to have Kevin Marti give us the EXACT numbers of 428's (and even all the other engine sizes especially 390's). This would be VERY good info for Paul's updated book.

Anyone else ready to chip in some $$$ to find out the TRUE numbers?
[/quote]