• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear Quarter Drains

Perkchiro

Can someone help me with the location of the rear quarter drains. I had my rear quarters and trunk drop downs replaced during restoration and I have an open hole in each rear trunk drop down that's unoccupied. Here are pictures of the rubber drains from front and back. Anyone have a picture of the correct placement of these little buggars? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Qtr Drains.JPG
    Qtr Drains.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 25

Mosesatm

Steve I have pictures on my home computer but I'm on the road this week. We discussed quarter drains in an earlier thread so if you run a search you might be able to find it.

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

Arlie: I ran a search and came up with nothing. when you get home, I'd appreciate those pics. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

PFSlim

This thread needs to be posted in the restoration section. I had no idea there were drains there and do not remember putting mine back that way. However, my car has been out in the rain and have never noticed any water in the truck compartment area.

Paul

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

PFSlim said:
This thread needs to be posted in the restoration section. I had no idea there were drains there and do not remember putting mine back that way. However, my car has been out in the rain and have never noticed any water in the truck compartment area.

Paul

Paul: You probably did as I did and replaced your rear quarters and drop downs with new sheetmetal. Those two pieces converge and join together and if any seapage or moisture should collect there, there would be no moisture escape route and thus, more rusty quarter panels. I'm wondering about drilling through such a shallow area. Any thoughts on how to approach this task?

PFSlim

It looks to me like the holes would be drilled in the Inner Rear Lower Quarter. If that is the case, I would crawl under the car or get it on a lift and drill up into the trunk at an angle. I don't think you could ever reach the rear quarter to cause any damage.

Since this is really the first time I have heard about it, that is only a guess. Maybe someone else who has actually drilled the holes and installed the rubber could respond.

I did have both rear quarters and both Inner Rear Lower Quarters removed and replaced.

Paul

Mosesatm

The holes are visible (sort of) from the trunk so drilling them from under the car shouldn't be too difficult.

This weekend I can take some measurements from under the car and measure the hole size if you want, unless someone else gets it to you before then.

rvrtrash

Perkchiro said:
If you look at my picture of the rubber drains, they are closed in the back. I'm trying to understand how these would drain water. Do I cut the back off of the drain? Just doesn't seem clear to me.

Don't cut the drains. They are built to keep water from coming in but let water out. They are kind of like a flapper. When water build up in the rear wheel well, it pushes on the rubber and the water drains out. Clear as mud?

Steve

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

rvrtrash said:
Don't cut the drains. They are built to keep water from coming in but let water out. They are kind of like a flapper. When water build up in the rear wheel well, it pushes on the rubber and the water drains out. Clear as mud?

Steve

Yeah that makes sense, but what's the arched rubber opening do? It goes nowhere and it's closed, so why not just a flat flapper? I'm trying to figure out the Ford engineering thing again.:confused: