• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS J-code 4 speed (Project)

classicsguy

I am selling my 1968 GT/CS J-code 4 speed manual project car. This is a TRUE GT/CS and its verified by the Marti report. I bought this car to restore it back to its original glory but unforeseen circumstances have forced me to sell it and will not continue with the restoration already started. This one of the 218 J-code 4 speed GT/CS that were produced in 1968,so they are very rare. The original color is Lime Gold with Ivy Gold interior. Its a non-GT equipped car. I purchased this Mustang without the engine but it has the original 4 speed manual transmission in need of rebuilt and out of car. I bought a correct J-code 302 engine from a member of this forum and engine is in running condition. According to Marti report the car is equipped as follows

California Special
Extra cooling package
Four speed wide ratio manual transmission
F70X14 Wide oval tires
AM radio
Deluxe wheel covers

This is a ROUGH project that previous owner had for 20 years but never got to restore. It has not been involved in any accidents but its rusty and needs a total restoration.I took it to a Mustang restoration shop in Florida and all the floors and torque boxes,seat bases,frame rail repair is already professionally done. The car needs the following body work: New radiator support, fender aprons,cowl, rear quarter skins, trunk floor and rear tail-light panel. Grille,hood doors and trunk lid need replacement. Shock towers are ok.

The interior is there but needs a total refurbishing,all glass is there.

I can sell this car with or without the engine but It deserves to be restored back to original condition: J-code engines are difficult to find since they were only made in 1968.

I also have correct Lucas fog lights with pedestals that will include with sale of the car.

This GT/CS is in Florida and I can get anyone transportation cost estimate.

This is a very rare and desirable California Special and only 962 J-code GT/CS were manufactured.

Pictures of work completed can be e mailed and Marti report can be faxed to any interested party

Price: $6,700 with correct J-code(302 4v) complete engine including carburetor. Also will include Lucas fog lights with pedestals.

Post here or send me a PM with any questions you might have

Attachments

• Picture_037.jpg
    Picture_037.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Luis_CS003A.jpg
    Luis_CS003A.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Picture_040.jpg
    Picture_040.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Picture_039.jpg
    Picture_039.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Luis_CS014.jpg
    Luis_CS014.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Luis_CS003.jpg
    Luis_CS003.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

HappyHour

Hey classics...what was the story regarding the front stock 68 grill with round fog lights if you dont mind me asking?

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Hey classics...what was the story regarding the front stock 68 grill with round fog lights if you dont mind me asking?

I dont mind at all. I purchased the car like this...the previous owner did not do anything to car for 20 years so he doesnt know but Its a TRUE GT/CS. The first thing I ordered was a Marti report. why people make these modifications to the car...that would be interesting to know.

The car might still be available for sale if anybody is interested. Ill keep updating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

classicsguy

UPDATE: The person that wanted the car backed out of sale since the restoration shop where car is performed additional restoration work and it did not fit his budget. The GOOD NEWS is that car is still available for sale with the following work already done:

NEW RADIATOR SUPPORT
NEW FENDER APRONS
COWL COMPLETELY REPAIRED

The work performed is top notch since this shop specializes in Mustangs.

New Price: $8,700.00 with the correct J-code 3024v Engine

Pictures of completed work can be sent by e mail and Marti report can be faxed!!

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Updated in another ad (1968 gt/cs j-code 4 speed project-updated)with new price and restoration work pictures shown

mustangnut

Update

Hey Classic,
This is my first post as a new member to the forum. I'm a huge Mustang fan have owned a couple in my earlier years. More so, I love the GT/CS - HCS very unique. Is your car still available? If not well I guess I keep looking, I'm looking for a project car, one that I can take my time on and complete it properly.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Hey Classic,
This is my first post as a new member to the forum. I'm a huge Mustang fan have owned a couple in my earlier years. More so, I love the GT/CS - HCS very unique. Is your car still available? If not well I guess I keep looking, I'm looking for a project car, one that I can take my time on and complete it properly.

Thanks Mustangnut: The car is still available,as a matter of fact the restoration shop will put the rear quarters and trunk floors and car will be finished with sheet metal work and be ready for body and paint. Let me know if you need more information and I will gladly give it to you.

Welcome to the forum!!! Great bunch of people and you will learn a lot here about these special cars!!

mustangnut

Interested

Classic,
I am definitely intersted. The usual info would be great, asking price, parts that art included (interior etc) You mentioned that you would sell with or without engine. Is that still available, I would like the numbers matching engine. Pics if available, I apologize for all the requests but I'm selling the concept to the "Boss" haha. You also had mentioned that you would fax the marti report. If that is still available I could give you a fax number!

Sorry for using the forum, I tried to email you back but the email would not go through!

Regards,

RedGTvert

Hey Mustangnut,

I have a GT/CS "S" code that I have been working on for several years and now need to sell because of a job loss. The body work is done and it is ready to be prepped for paint. The correct date code block has been bored 30 over. The C-6 trans still needs to be tuned up as it has 96,000 miles on it. You can check out the Marti report and pictures in my gallery. The Marti report states that the car is 1 of only 2 in the color combination which is Wimbledon white with the deluxe Ivy Gold interior. I would like to get $12,500 for the car.

Cheers,

Ron

Ron, no offense, but do you think it is fair to step on classics' For Sale thread?

It would be proper etiquette to start your own thread.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Mustangnut; My GT/CS J-code has the interior. It has the 2 buckets and rear seats. The dash needs to be replaced. The steering wheel is there. Original transmission is there but needs rebuild.
As I mentioned I got a correct and complete 302 engine that came from a 1968 J-code Mustang that I purchased from a member of this forum. I also have a correct set of Lucas Fog lights in excellent condition that I can include at a separate deal.
The restoration shop in Florida is going to replace both quarters and trunk floor and rear trunk rails. After that the car will be ready for bodywork and paint.
I will estimate the final price of the car calculating the work mentioned at around 9K and $9700.00 with the engine..

I will gladly fax the Marti report if you give me the fax number.

Thanks for the interest and contact me with any questions.

MY E MAIL CHANGED,ITS: classicguy@prtc.net

franklinair

An added note of support: The engine that Luis refers to came out of the '68 Mustang convert. I restored. The engine ran fine - no smoke. It has 104K miles on it, and has the correct (original) intake & carb.

Neil