• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2005 GT/CS idea / from PMN

P

PNewitt

I had this idea today, while watching the Ford 500. You heard it here first...

I read in the latest Mustang Monthly that there are going to be a lot of add-on aftermarket parts for the 2005 Mustang--and a lot of "editions" to come out in the coming two years (Shelby?). As a group, let's do this right for ourselves...

Here is a wish list to work from:
1. Rear Deck Spoiler (coming, mentioned in MM)
2. Triple-WIDE Taillights--like on the Mustang prototype (someone?)
3. Side Scoops (someone's gonna make them)
4. Front Grille with aftermarket rectangular fog/driving lights
(either a modified-non-GT grille, or someone makes a custom grille like this)
5. GT/CS Stripe kits in white, red, metallic blue and red. Optional Gold and Silver. Same graphics (font) on scoop as the '68.
6. Limited Edition dash emblem.
7. Marketed as a Kit for Ford Dealers
8. Limited to 4117 Kits / 250 Kits of the HCS Version for Denver & the midwest (same emblem on scoop)

Keep it simple, no wings, no projector headlights, etc. This would be like a recreation of the '68 version for 2005, 06, etc.

What do you think?

Paul M. Newitt

68gt390

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm looking at buying an 05 here very shortly. Would be kinda neat to have both a 68 GT/CS and an 05 GT with the same look. Can just imagine some of the comments with both at a show. Hopefully even if Ford doesn't pick up on the idea a local Ford dealer will. I'd love to see it happen.

Would be kinda neat to see an 05 GT/CS convertiable since Ford missed the boat on it in 68. I think the car would sell really good.

Don :D

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

What "we" need to be aware of is how the GT/CS name could be misused from someone who doesn't "get it", and just junk up some '05. I feel that it has to be done right, to properly keep with the style of the original.

If it takes using my "clout" as the GT/CS author/registrar, I'll use it, to make something like this nice and not silly.

Actually--Don..maybe it might be possible (??) to work with together on doing your new '05 as the prototype to present to the Calif. Dealer's Association? I have a design degree, too, and have done products and prototypes before.

This could be really cool.

Thanks--Paul.

68gt390

Paul;
Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm just waiting to get my Camry paid off in the next few months. Have test drove 2 05 GT's so far. Am kinda mulling over the idea of which paint color would be best. Several of our local club members have their 05's already. 1 - Black, 1- Red and 1 - Silver. Think I'm leaning toward the Silver one. I'm also throwing around the idea of selling my 68 GT 390 Coupe but, the other half isn't too keen on that one. May have to work on that one a bit.

Don ;)

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Bite your tongue, sir! Don't even entertain the idea of selling your 390 CS coupe! :)

If you get/make this "prototype" '05 CS, people will ask..."so, you must have one of the '68's, right"? And you'll be grumbling to yourself for selling it, looking down at the ground...awww shucks!...

Remember...everyone is keeping the original cars..'64-73. Except for a handful of late models, not a lot is out there--or will be kept or restored between '74-'04 in the next 10 to 20 years. and (!) the big blocks will never be coming back...they aren't even using V-10s in the Cobra for '06. These new Mustangs are neat now, but what about 5-10 years from now? Not to knock these new Mustangs, but by comparison, who's gonna be all giddy over a '94 Cobra Mustang in 5 years? Everyone is going to be just as excited at a GT/CS with a FE motor under the hood.

So...that's my two bits. I just saw the Bullitt chase last night on TBS, and it brought it all back for me...the sound, look and power. Nothing like a 390. I've driven those same hills in SF with my GT/CS, too!

Bent dual exhaust pipes is a badge of honor jumping those hills!

Paul.

68sunlitgold

Paul,
for those of us not able to get a new 05 mustang right now, what can we in the registry do to move something like this along...write letters, talk to dealers, etc?

I would be willing to do what ever I can to get the fire started. I like the idea of keeping with the original design pieces and the production numbers, great idea!

Doug

68gt390

Paul;
Didn't mean to raise your blood pressure. I'm not selling my 390 GT/CS, I'm thinking of selling my 68 390 GT Coupe. I have two 390 cars. There's no way I'd even consider selling the CS. I wouldn't even consider selling the 390 GT Coupe except for the fact I don't have enough space for 3 mustangs. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts to even think of selling it for an 05. Oh well, we'll have to see how it all washes out.

Don ;D

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

oh. Well! Ya had me going there! Tough decision...390 coupe or '05? I think I'd wait on that one for now. See what the coming year brings.

Tough decision. I saw a 2005 for the first time today...only to be told that a Ford GT was in the showroom. It was like Xmas! :)

I talked with a top Calif. FORD manager today, and ran the GT/CS idea past them. I saw wheels turning in his head...but no promises. It would have to wait until the '06 model year anyway.

I can say that the talk among the Ford sales folks is that the Escape Hybrid and the '05 Mustang are the hottest vehicles out there right now for sale. There is no question--this new Mustang is going to be like 1965 all over again! I would expect everything from Bosses to Shelbys to Mach 1's being brought back in the coming years.

What those of you that watch the magazines and websites--is to let us know here what and who is making accessories and fiberglas for the '05.

I was just at the J.Bittle American website (www.jba.com), and saw the JBA logo I'd done for them 20 years ago on the side of a new '05. BTW--they make 390/427-8 headers for '67 and '68 Mustangs (and for the GT-500-E).

If anyone makes those Mustang prototype ('05) WIDE taillights, can you let me know here? And side scoops? Only from Ford licensed SEMA aftermarket folks.

Stay Tuned..

Paul.

rvrtrash

I'd keep the GT coupe for now also. I'm a little disappointed that the production cars don't have the twin scoop hood like the prototype. As I've said before, I'm waiting for a new Boss 351 (V-10) to come out, but I could go for a GT/CS with a supercharged 5.4 and a 6 speed. I'm willing to suffer for the cause. ;D
Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Speaking of which...

I wonder if a V-10 would fit into a '68? I need to measure one....wouldn't a Lil Red type Mustang with a V-10 (with Paxton?) be neat? Better than a GT-500-E!

Paul.

rvrtrash

The V-10 Ford is prototyping for the project is different from the one they have now. They took a 4.6 and essentially added two cylinders, so it's a little smaller. You could probably make the current one fit, but I bet you'd have to take out the shock towers and set the firewall back a little. It would be hot to see it done though.
Steve

68gt390

Now you all have me wondering? 2005 Mustang or keep what I have. An interesting note - I'm talking to the Paxton folks about a supercharger for my CS 390. She already screems, with a supercharger guess what? Unlimited. I still like the idea of a 05 CS. Guess it's time to sit down and make a solid decision. Maybe the better half is right. Now I'm in law- law land.

Don ???