• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 gt/cs " restomod"

Yogurt King

I have a 1968 GT/CS Restomod that I am preparing to bring to auction or sale very soon.
I have been the owner for twenty years. I either built or had professionally built, all of the modifications over the last twenty years.The car is in this GT/S registry somewhere, I read the numbers once. I just joined the forum to lurk.

Thought, I would give real GT/CS folks first crack at it.
I do not know how to post pictures here and am not going to take the time, however, if you are interested I will send you some shots I have now on my camera that I downloaded. Waiting for a couple of trim pieces to arrive before I get serious with a full arrangement of pictures and descriptions. Soon though.
in the mean time here is a quick run down that I am working on for the sale:
Offered for auction is a 1968 Mustang GT/CS California Special
RESTOMOD/ PRO-TOURING

This a real GT/CS of which only 4,118 were produced. This Mustang has always lived in California. It has always been adult driven, garaged, and professionally maintained.
The car, in its’ present restoration, was conceived and professionally built to what can only be described as a Street Legal Track Car / PRO-TOURING muscle car
"STYLE, SPEED and HANDLING"
Featuring a 342 cu inch, VORTECH VT-1M,/ fuel based intercooler supercharged FORD small block engine, built by JC PERFORMANCE AUTOMOTIVE, with AFR heads and a dozen other trick components, a 5 speed TREMEC-TKO transmission, coupled with an AUBURN 3.50 / 9 inch rear differential, this GT/CS easily delivers 400+ HP to the real wheels, with potential for much more by merely resetting the supercharger and recalibrating the fuel delivery system from the interior accessed HOLLEY SYSTEMAX fuel mapping computer, mounted inside the glove box.
The custom built header exhaust system features a Mercedes performance design, dual balancing exhaust, ending with MAGNAFLOW mufflers, which keeps this beast on the quiet side when you are cruising through town, yet allows full breathing potential when you open it up on the track.

This Mustang GT/CS features TOTAL CONTROL PRODUCTS rack and pinion power steering, with 1” anti sway bars, (front and rear) and full poly bushings throughout the suspension.
Inside, a four point padded roll bar tied into the welded sub rail connectors and reinforced torque boxes, eliminate body twist and improve handling under extreme driving conditions.
Additionally, reinforced shock towers, tied together with custom made adjustable export braces, rear traction bars, and 620 coils enable this car to hold the road like a slot car racer.

A 9” rear differential housing and 31 spline MOSER axles are tubbed by a total of 2 1/4” to allow VINTAGE WHEEL WORKS, custom setback, 17” wheels, coupled with P285/40/ZR17 Nitto NTSSS Extreme tires, to give this Mustang GT/CS a real low, fat and road hugging profile.

On the safety side, the car features 11” WILWOOD front disc brakes, STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE CO. rear disc brakes, w/ proportioning valve. A McLEOD clutch and safety scatter shield.

RICARO racing seats, secure the driver with a SIMPSON 5 point racing harness (Driver & Passenger), a RACE SAFE fire suppression system (mounted in trunk), and a 16 gallon FUEL SAFE fuel cell, designed to be filled via the OEM stock GT/CS rear pop open fuel cap. You do not lose your trunk space.

The car also features standard seatbelts for everyday driving.
This 1968 Mustang GT/CS California Special gets an incredible 18-19 MPG when cruising on the Freeway. Hot rodding and rally racing... your fuel consumption will vary!
DYNAMAT sound proofing material in the floors and doors compliment the CUSTOM AUTO SOUND, “Mustang” stereo, trunk mounted CD player w/ amp and woofer.

The car was built for style, speed, handling and safety.
This California Special was built to not only be a stylish head turner. It is also polite when driving in public, with just enough rumble and supercharger whine to let any bystander know that there’s something more under the hood than a boring small block V8.
At first glance it looks like another sporty Mustang....then a second look reveals the low profile setting and black, powdered coated trim package, lets the world know that this is not your Mother’s Mustang.
On the weekend, take this GT/CS right out onto an Open Track road course or Road Rally and solidly compete with the big boys. This car has been run at Button Willow, Thunder Hill and Laguna Seca road tracks over the years. Same owner for over 20 years. The latest professionally built incarnation has less than 4,800 miles since it was brought up to this incredible level of performance.
It has never been raced or abused. For the past several years, due to the owner’s health and time constraints, it has only been occasionally taken out and driven for fun performance and style, up and down California’s Big Sur Coastal Highway between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. This Mustang GT/CS is truly a California Special.

There has been over $85,000 invested into this car.
The “Ford Guru” who built this car in his shop has retired, however, he could be available for consultation.
This 1968 California Special GT/CS has been an incredible car to own over the last two decades, yet necessity warrants it going to the next proud owner.

FEATURES

FORD small block 342 (JC PERFORMANCE AUTOMOTIVE)
AFR Heads
Custom porting and polishing
Canton 7 qt. Oil pan
YDK Dual electric cooling fans
VORTECH Supercharger V-T 1 (Race M) /uses custom fuel fed intercooler system.

HOLLEY SYSTEMAX Commander 950 Total Engine Management system
with custom fuel log mapping by JC PERFORMANCE AUTOMOTIVE.
Computer mounted in glove box for on the go fuel mapping adjustments
Crane PS9 HII coil

TREMEC 3500/ 5 speed with “Hurst shifter”
McLEOD clutch and safety scatter shield
Custom headers
(Mercedes style) dual balancing thru flow exhaust system
FLOW MAX mufflers

RICARO racing seats
SIMPSON 5 point racing harness (driver & passenger)
3 point seat belts

RACE SAFE halon fire suppression system mounted in trunk.
Roll bar mounted fire extinguisher
16 gallon FUEL SAFE fuel cell replaces stock fuel tank.

AUTO METER gauges:
Sport-Comp Monster Tach,
Water temp,
Oil temp,
Oil pressure,
Voltmeter
Supercharger boost.

Slightly flared fenders
AUBURN 3.50 gear rear differential rated for 600lbs. torque.
2 1/4” “Tubbed” rear axle housing w/ 31 spline MOSER axles to fit larger custom rear wheels.
Custom drive shaft and Hi Performance U joints.

TOTAL CONTROL PRODUCTS
Rack and pinion power steering.
1” anti sway bars (front & rear)
Poly suspension bushings

4 point custom roll bar (padded)
Sub frame rail connectors (welded & tied into roll bar)
Reinforced torque boxes
Reinforced shock towers
Custom adjustable export brace
Rear traction bars
620 coils
Trunk mounted battery

VINTAGE WHEELS WORKS 17“ Mag wheels (custom setback)
Rear tires: P285/40/ZR17/ 95W NITTO NTSSS Extreme
Front Tires P235/45/ZR17 / 93W NITTO NTSSS Extreme
WILWOOD 11” front disc brakes
U.S. STAINLESS STEEL rear disc brakes
Proportioning valve
KYB shocks

DYNA MAT sound proofing material floors and doors
CUSTOM AUTO SOUND “Mustang” stereo, CD player w/ amp,
Molded front kick panel speakers and rear mounted woofer

So there you have it.
If you are interested shoot me a response and I will get back with you.
This is not a fire sale so do not embarrass yourself with fast talking low ball offers....
Thanks
John

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Will you please post the VIN so we can look up the car in the registry?

Thanks

robert campbell

John,
A man after my own heart! Sounds like one dynamite car and the price seems very fair IMO. I hope someone snatches this up on the site and brings out copious pics of it! The mods all sound like a well thought out package for the conclusion it can support.

Rob

OP
OP
Y

Yogurt King

VIN #
8R01C151097

When I bought this car way over twenty years ago I purchased Paul Newitt's
book. It was there registered to the man I bought it from.
This was pre internet days.This is the first time I have come to this forum.

I finished the detailing today and plan on taking pictures and a video or two.
I will be posting on Craigslist in the L.A. and SFO areas as I live halfway between them. With in a week.
If you are interested take a look.
Man, it is sooo perfect now that I have to pinch myself to put it up for sale.:undecided
I am going to be asking more than I mentioned in this ad, as several professional folks have said I am pricing it too low.
However, Money talks, right?!

OP
OP
Y

Yogurt King

I am not much on posting pictures here. cant figure out the website JuJU

However, I will have 24 pictures posted in my ad that will be appearing on craigslist.... L.A. and SF. within @ 24 hours.
best I can due.

I am selling because I am retiring and moving out of state.
& moving on to other hobbies.
John

OP
OP
Y

Yogurt King

The car has been sold.
$36K
good luck to everyone in your efforts to sell your own GT/CS