• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 "Idle hands...."

franklinair

After a few months of not having a CS to work on, Stephen (mbsf1970) took pity on me and brought me his Aqua CS to go through.
The first thing I found was a tired 289 engine (low compression, low oil pressure). After pulling the engine I found a cracked piston skirt and worn bearings. Going to o'haul, bumping up the cam a little and adding an Edelbrock 4BBL intake (Thanks Marty) and carb.
Also, I'll rejuvenate the A/C, and rebuild the suspension, plus a lot of little items. It feels good to have a project while I'm waiting for my CS that's in the paint shop.

Neil

Attachments

• Doug5.JPG
    Doug5.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Doug6.JPG
    Doug6.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Doug8.JPG
    Doug8.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 93

green56

Idle hands

Would you want another car to look at the engine it was over hauled 5years ago just found out they never balanced the engine so I had to turn up the carb. And readjusted carb to keep it running you can feel it in the steering wheel it like speeds up and slows down we think it is the cam so this spring going to take the heads off and check them out and pull the cam to see if any thing wrong then we will see if we go further what do you guys think we will look at the Pistons the compression was 160 to 165 all cylinders so we know this summer we had good compression Cars are in storage for the winter now about a month early have to have surgery Sept 28 going to have the other knee replaced then both knees are done thanks guys for listening Tom Wi

mbsf1970

These pictures make me glad I didn't know about these conditions until AFTER the car arrived safely. Man I'm nuts for having driven it 2600 miles in 4 days to get it to Neil!!:icon_lol:

I debated getting it shipped home next year but then I figured if it was fun driving it there, it can only be MORE fun driving it home!!

p51

The first thing I found was a tired 289 engine (low compression, low oil pressure). After pulling the engine I found a cracked piston skirt and worn bearings...
Neil

Dang, that looks like more than just a crack... where was that piece of piston skirt? In the oil pan? What did the compression check show??

mbsf1970, what kind of mpg (USG) did you get on your drive to NC?...
2600 miles!... all I can say is someone up there likes you :wink:

whodat

Had I known that I would've shipped my car to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruppstang

Wow I am glad Stephen made it there. It did not sound too bad here.
I bet the trip home with a strong motor will be a blast.
I am between projects now and miss the Mustang work. I do not mention that I have nothing to do or Tari will get out that honey do list!

Mosesatm

Stephen,
Had your car been parked or stored for a long time at some point in its long life?

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

The piston skirt was cracked. Tapped it with a screwdriver handle, and it broke off.:eek:
The cylinders are .020 over (From prev O/H) and clean. Bearings are all .010 over, and worn. Journals are all good.

Neil

mbsf1970

@p51: was getting about 18.5-22 mpg.....depends if I drafted behind a transport truck or not. If not, rolling at 70 I was getting 18-19 and if drafting for a couple hours then about 22 since I was likely doing 65 and riding the draft!

@ Arlie: No idea about previous history of car....Wish I knew more :sad:
I only know the following, sold in Anaheim, lived in Calif, Texas and Florida and briefly in N.C. before I acquired it....I would like to get in touch with a Richard Campbell who was listed in the Newitt book as owner of car.....

robert campbell

Gas mileage? Who gives a crap about gas mileage?? I don't need no stinking gas mileage!! There is more to life than gas mileage!!

Stephen, do you want me to suggest a bunch of stuff that will let you go from mild to wild? I love to spend other peoples money!!

Rob

Ruppstang

That's darn good miles/US-gallon considering the compression issues. I'll bet you're going to be pleased with the mpg once that is fixed.

I do not think there was any friction left in that engine!!

mbsf1970

Gas mileage? Who gives a crap about gas mileage?? I don't need no stinking gas mileage!! There is more to life than gas mileage!!

Stephen, do you want me to suggest a bunch of stuff that will let you go from mild to wild? I love to spend other peoples money!!

Rob

The monster awakens!! I wondered when the west coast power monger might chime in!!! I think my sage in Franklin has it under control. But in case you missed it, the 289 is going to get a 100% increase in intake capacity!! That should assuage you somewhat!

robert campbell

Lets see. First a set of E Street Edelbrock aluminum heads. Second a Comp Cam kit in a hydraulic roller to keep the vacuum up for you engine. A set of 10.5 or 11.0 pistons matched to the E Street combustion chambers. A set of long tube headers from Stan Johnson of Ford Powertrain Applications. An Edelbrock Victor Junior Intake manifold and an a Holley 670 Street Avenger Carb. MSD Billet distributor with a MSD 6AL ignition with rev limiter set at 6,500 RPM.

DSS Racing main cap stud girdle and stroker kit to 331 or 347 cubic inches. 7 quart Ford Racing oil pan.

A 3,500 RPM stall convertor for your C4 automatic and a Kevlar Clutch and Band kit. Improved valve body for hammer shifts!

3.50 Ratio 9 inch rear end with 31 spline axels!

Whoooo boy yippee!! Old School 450 Horse Power!

RoB

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Rob;

Reality:
10 to 1 flat top pistons, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 500CFM carb, ES1217R cam, hyd lifters, double row timing chain.
New front suspension + Export brace, Monte Carlo bar, 1" sway bar, KYB shocks.

Neil:smile:

Ruppstang

I do have a pair of coil lowering springs that I do not need that might improve the ride height and handling.

mbsf1970

Lets see. First a set of E Street Edelbrock aluminum heads. Second a Comp Cam kit in a hydraulic roller to keep the vacuum up for you engine. A set of 10.5 or 11.0 pistons matched to the E Street combustion chambers. A set of long tube headers from Stan Johnson of Ford Powertrain Applications. An Edelbrock Victor Junior Intake manifold and an a Holley 670 Street Avenger Carb. MSD Billet distributor with a MSD 6AL ignition with rev limiter set at 6,500 RPM.

DSS Racing main cap stud girdle and stroker kit to 331 or 347 cubic inches. 7 quart Ford Racing oil pan.

A 3,500 RPM stall convertor for your C4 automatic and a Kevlar Clutch and Band kit. Improved valve body for hammer shifts!

3.50 Ratio 9 inch rear end with 31 spline axels!

Whoooo boy yippee!! Old School 450 Horse Power!

RoB

This is Latin right???? My parents told me they used to have to take Latin in school.

robert campbell

Rob;

Reality:
10 to 1 flat top pistons, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 500CFM carb, ES1217R cam, hyd lifters, double row timing chain.
New front suspension + Export brace, Monte Carlo bar, 1" sway bar, KYB shocks.

Neil:smile:

Darn I was having fun!!

Rob