• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Black California Plates

GT_CS

Hello every1,

Does anybody know of somewhere or someone who can make or does exact reproduction of the black license plates which originally came with the 1968 Mustangs?

I wish to get one made personalised to myself?

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated

Fasser

HappyHour

Black Plates...

Hey guys looking to do the same or purchase some original black plates. Any limitations for the state of California? I mean can I get some personalized "dealer" 68 plates made?

Here is a snippet from "secondtime garage"....
Most states now allow the use of original license plates (vintage license plates) on collector cars. That is, if the owner can find a set of plates issued for the year of manufacture of his car, there is provision within the law to register those plates to the car. Most states legislate their use under their antique vehicle licensing regulations, so if you wish to use "vintage" plates, check with your DMV.

Im heading to the DMV to see if they allow the provision. Does anyone on the Forum has couple black plates hangin in the garage they wanna sell? I also saw previous thread by Jeff (miller511) that the numbering sequence should be accurate?

Happy New Years!

@Holmes

I have a set. Pretty rough shape though. If you look on E-Bay you might find a clean set.. Here is a set if you like chicken http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963...015QQitemZ250200533374QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

or: http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-1969-Califo...ryZ14032QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are UNUSED and appear to be a nice set which spells out the law in his post: *** The California (YOM) license plate program was recently extended to include 1963 through 1969 year model passenger vehicles for the use of the 1963 issue black & yellow plates and will become operative on July 1, 2009. *** You can read more about the program here..... http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_0451-0500/ab_462_bill_20071011_chaptered.html

CALIF GIRL

Hey guys looking to do the same or purchase some original black plates. Any limitations for the state of California? I mean can I get some personalized "dealer" 68 plates made?

Here is a snippet from "secondtime garage"....
Most states now allow the use of original license plates (vintage license plates) on collector cars. That is, if the owner can find a set of plates issued for the year of manufacture of his car, there is provision within the law to register those plates to the car. Most states legislate their use under their antique vehicle licensing regulations, so if you wish to use "vintage" plates, check with your DMV.

Im heading to the DMV to see if they allow the provision. Does anyone on the Forum has couple black plates hangin in the garage they wanna sell? I also saw previous thread by Jeff (miller511) that the numbering sequence should be accurate?

Happy New Years!

In California you have to have some type of original paperwork from the DMV that shows the plates ( and I am referring only to "black plates") were originaly assigned to that vehicle. California does not allow "black plates" that were not originaly issued to that car to be used.

obwan93001

In California you have to have some type of original paperwork from the DMV that shows the plates ( and I am referring only to "black plates") were originaly assigned to that vehicle. California does not allow "black plates" that were not originaly issued to that car to be used.

Hi all!

I'm sure the members located here in Cali are already aware that CA state bill A.B. No. 462 was passed earlier this year allowing those 1963 black and yellow plates to be (re)assigned to cars by the DMV providing the number sequence is correct for the car's year of manufacture. Note that you can't do this until July 1, 2009. They had to give the DMV time to prepare for it. Here is a snippet from the CA senate's site: (URL for docs related to that bill: http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_462&sess=CUR&house=B&site=sen)

" AB 462, Villines. Vehicle: license plates.
Under existing law, an owner of a vehicle that is a 1962 or older
model-year vehicle may, under specified circumstances, utilize
license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to
the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured. A fee of $35
is required to be charged for the application for the use of these
special plates.
This bill instead would authorize this option for the owner of a
vehicle that is a 1969 or older model-year or the owner of a
commercial vehicle or pickup truck that is a 1972 or older
model-year. The bill would also increase the amount of the
application fee to $45.
The changes made by the bill would become operative on July 1,
2009."

I hope the above helps those not in the know. Have a safe and Happy New Year everyone!

@Holmes

The unused plates are at $350 with a day left. Crazzy. Glad I',m in Texas. An unused set goes for $100 here.

p51

" AB 462, Villines. Vehicle: license plates.
Under existing law, an owner of a vehicle that is a 1962 or older
model-year vehicle may, under specified circumstances, utilize
license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to
the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured. A fee of $35
is required to be charged for the application for the use of these
special plates.
This bill instead would authorize this option for the owner of a
vehicle that is a 1969 or older model-year or the owner of a
commercial vehicle or pickup truck that is a 1972 or older
model-year. The bill would also increase the amount of the
application fee to $45.
The changes made by the bill would become operative on July 1,
2009."

I hope the above helps those not in the know. Have a safe and Happy New Year everyone!

Hey. thanks. Didnt know this. Glad it finally happened but why in the heck does it take until 07/01/2009 to take effect? Anyone know if there is a way to get this done earlier?

obwan93001

Hey. thanks. Didnt know this. Glad it finally happened but why in the heck does it take until 07/01/2009 to take effect? Anyone know if there is a way to get this done earlier?

Unfortunately it can't be done sooner. From what I've read, that was one of the conditions the DMV wanted met before they would even do it. Seems they think they needed almost 2 yrs to prepare for it?! Change of forms, training, etc... At least it's gonna happen! I was thinking of getting CA historical vehicle plates like Calif Girl has on her GT/CS but being the OG that I am I'll probably stick with the original style black plates. Already have a pair in decent shape just waiting for July of '09 :grin:

miller511

So, it sounds like if you provide period correct plates, ones that aren't still registered to another car, that'll work? I'm wondering about the reproductions from http://www.licenseplates.tv and if those would be accepted by the DMV.
I guess as this process starts up, we'll find out.

J_Speegle

So, it sounds like if you provide period correct plates, ones that aren't still registered to another car, that'll work?

Unfortunately IMHO - yes. Now any owner (with an original calif car or one delivered anywhere) can now be an "original" black plate car :(

I'm wondering about the reproductions from and if those would be accepted by the DMV.

No

CALIF GIRL

Unfortunately IMHO - yes. Now any owner (with an original calif car or one delivered anywhere) can now be an "original" black plate car :(

However the DMV will charge an extra amount every year to register a car that has "model year plates".

I am thinking about putting my black plates back on. I bought the car with them but changed them a couple of times. Once to personalized and then to historical vehicle. I think I still have them somewhere in my parents garage, and my pink slip will verify it for the DMV. Whats the general opinion here ? Keep the historical vehicle plates or go with the original "black" plates?

DLedin

Interesting topic.

I feel fortunate that I have my original black plates and they almost look personalized already. They read "WOW 416". Too bad they don't say "WOW 302".

My plates are probably in need of a good refurbishing. Is this something that folks typically have done or can new replacements be made instead if they're the current plates for the car? I'm thinking replacing them would be more practical than the time & labor to recondition them.

-DLedin

p51

However the DMV will charge an extra amount every year to register a car that has "model year plates".

I am thinking about putting my black plates back on. I bought the car with them but changed them a couple of times. Once to personalized and then to historical vehicle. I think I still have them somewhere in my parents garage, and my pink slip will verify it for the DMV. Whats the general opinion here ? Keep the historical vehicle plates or go with the original "black" plates?

Black plates...

BroadwayBlue

Did California provide both front and back black plates?

I got the original black plate with my 289 (confirmed by the original pink slip) but I only got one.

I'm curious to try and peel off the pile of stickers on it but know it will ruin them so I'm leaving it with the latest showing 1986.

Too bad I can't use them in NY - I have vintage NY plates though.

Might put the black plate on for shows though.

miller511

Did California provide both front and back black plates?

Yes. That is one thing I DO remember ;-)

rvrtrash

I'm curious to try and peel off the pile of stickers on it but know it will ruin them so I'm leaving it with the latest showing 1986.

I peel the stickers off my plates every year before putting the new ones on, and never damage them. The secret is to use a heat gun. Try it on your daily driver first and you'll see.

Steve

BroadwayBlue

I peel the stickers off my plates every year before putting the new ones on, and never damage them. The secret is to use a heat gun. Try it on your daily driver first and you'll see.

Steve

But I have almost 20 years of stickers on there and it doesn't look like they'll peel very easily. I might try the heat gun and see if it works.

We don't use the plate stickers in NY anymore - just window registration and inspecion stickers now