• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Goodyear Eagle ST Replacements

BigJim

My car has Goodyear Eagle ST tires with the block style raised white letters on it. Two of the tires are worn out (the PO didn't believe in wheel alignments) and need to be replaced. I know Goodyear stopped making this tire several years ago. My wife really likes the look of the block style raised white letters. Can anyone suggest a replacement tire?

The ST's on her are 225-70-14. Also, can I run 60's on the rear without rubbing? The rear has the factory drum brakes and the GT style rims with red on the hubs if it matters.

Thanks,
Jim

p51

IMO:
The best tire: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
The most period-correct-looking modern tire: BF Goodrich Radial TA

Personally, I have the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. They stick better on wet pavement (I've had both)...
...opinions will definitely vary :wink:

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

Won't ever put a Firestone on any car of mine. Had 721's on a car back in 1979 and the steel belts literally came through the sidewalls!!! Thank God I got the recall notice before the tires blew out doing 65 on the expressway.

My wife liked the looks of the Coopers so I picked up 4 of them yesterday. Thanks for the feedback.

Mosesatm

If I remember correctly the Coopers are made in the USA, too.

tomcwarren

I ran the Cooper's for 4 years without any problems. Like the look.

Attachments

• IMG_2916.jpg
    IMG_2916.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 88

robert campbell

IMO:
The best tire: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
The most period-correct-looking modern tire: BF Goodrich Radial TA

Personally, I have the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. They stick better on wet pavement (I've had both)...
...opinions will definitely vary :wink:

Firehawks for me!!! Way stickier than BF Goodrich tires!

Rob

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

Got the Coopers on and they look pretty good. Most important the wife is happy with them.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 56