• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Adding Air Conditioning to a non-AC car?

Sarge

All,
I am looking into getting the Classic Air AC setup for my car, but I don't like the look of the registers. Both the ones at the doors, and the ones over the center console do not nearly resemble the originals. For that matter, neither does the Vintage Air AC setup.

Question: Is it possible to add the original Registers and Controls to a non-AC GT/CS, and then buy the Classic Air setup and connect all together? Is it easy enough for a backyard mechanic, or does it take a master mechanic to do it? AND, is there a kit I can buy which contains all of the correct parts for the registers, controls, etc to do the conversion? Otherwise, I would need a parts list, by part number so that I could make sure I am not missing anything. Any Help out there?

Thanks,

Robert

franklinair

I've seen the original vents occasionally on e-bay, and the outer registers are now repo'd, but kinda pricey. Have you spoken to a tech rep @ classic auto air? They stock a lot of the factory style components. Their system gets a lot of good reviews. I bought their 'underhood' kit, and was quite satisfied.

Neil

franklinair

There you go. Buy their kit, bring me the car, and I'll install it for you.

Neil

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

Scott,
These looked good, but I couldn't find a AC model for a '68 non-AC, 302, with PS. Which model fit that description please?

Thanks much.
Robert

CougarCJ

Scott,
These looked good, but I couldn't find a AC model for a '68 non-AC, 302, with PS. Which model fit that description please?

Thanks much.
Robert

Robert, we don't sell their kit. I would call them and ask.

franklinair

I don't think an A/C compressor mounting bracket (for a 289/302 with P/S) should be too hard to find. If they don't have it, let me know.

Neil

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

Ahhh, Sorry Scott. I misinterpreted your response and thought your company sold their kit. I will call company and work with them regarding the kit # and the bracket.

Darn, guess that means I can't get you to cut me a discount too??? :grin:

Thanks Scott and Neil. Now I just gotta figure out a way to get Neil my car.

green56

aDDING A/C TO CAR

i HAD A/C IN MY 68 289HP IT WAS A AFTER MARKET SO IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE SUPPORTS THAT ARE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT I HAVE THEM THE PLATE THAT THE COMPRESSOR THE PULLYS AND OTHER THINGS WANT TO GET RIDE OF THEM FOR A SMALL COST

whodat

I bought the left and right after market registers and then finally outbid someone for a better center register since mine was acting up. The left had new controls, but not the cables.

franklinair

Sarge:
FYI, Classic Auto Air parts catalog lists '68 302 compressor mounting bracket, P/N 07-134, $59.99.

Neil

68sunlitgold

Robert,
I installed factory air in my 'non-factory' '68 coupe, purchased a complete setup. It was very easy to do and if you are handy with tools you can do it. You will have to cut out a few pieces, center register has a brace down the middle, the firewall where the lines come in and also the passenger inner fender for the vacuum canister. It took me the better part of a weekend and I had it completely installed.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_4892.JPG
    IMG_4892.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4889.JPG
    IMG_4889.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4891.JPG
    IMG_4891.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4897.JPG
    IMG_4897.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4886.JPG
    IMG_4886.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4885.JPG
    IMG_4885.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4888.JPG
    IMG_4888.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 29

gt/csj4

I have the side lower vents, and center dash diffusers if your'e interested. There was an extra set when I bought my A/C 67 GTA. I was planning on holding onto them, if I ever picked up an A/C car again but I'm willing to part. The center diffuser is a NOS one and the side vents are in impecable condition. PM me if you're interested and we'll talk pricing. I also have an original dog leg brace (I think they repo them now but it's always good to have original.) Also have really good condition high side and low side suction/discharge hoses. I know I have several other A/C components, but honestly have not looked in so long. Either way let me know

Last edited: