• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wow, What a Mustang day!

Diesel Donna

On my way down the freeway today I spotted a portable parking lot (car carrier) with a full load of black and gold Hertz GT's. Wish I had my camera with me. Then on my way back, I turned the odometer over to 00000.0
That would be 200,000.0! Please note that I was cruising along in the hammer lane at 80 mph and yelling WOOOOHOOOO! :grin: :grin:

~~~~Double D

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

390cs68rcode said:
cool terminology, gotta remember that one. I consider every lane the hammer lane. :grin:

Ohhh Jason I am just full of terminology! :grin: But I am sincerely trying to behave myself here, LOL.

marie68csmustangs

Man Donna! What a day you must of had!! It remnided me when I saw that truck filled with Dodge Rams! :))

It always seems everytime you see something interesting - you don't have your camera with you to document it..

Marie

still looking for one

That was something to see!! It is always interesting to see the odo turn over to start again, I saw my old Cougar do it, makes it seem like you areyou are defying the odds by making a car last to over 100,000 miles - the FIRST time!! A second time, that's really something!! Great job!

marie68csmustangs

still looking for one said:
That was something to see!! It is always interesting to see the odo turn over to start again, I saw my old Cougar do it, makes it seem like you areyou are defying the odds by making a car last to over 100,000 miles - the FIRST time!! A second time, that's really something!! Great job!

Yeah, I driven a 90 Buick Century til it reached 280,000 miles! My Saturn is just about to reach the 100,000 mark! Hope that it goes til almost 300,000 miles!

Marie

Midnight Special

Diesel Donna said:
Ohhh Jason I am just full of terminology! :grin: But I am sincerely trying to behave myself here, LOL.

Donna if you start behaving yourself, the rest of us won't have much to look forward to here anymore.

Speaking of odometers - the speedo on my 4-spd car doesn't work and the odometer runs backwards... I've taken about 800 miles off the car since acquired. I'm sure it's something simple- haven't looked at it yet, but does anyone have suggestions? (other that don't fix until it returns to '0' ;-)

Mosesatm

Tim, if I remember correctly that transmission has reverse on the opposite side from a normal top-loader. My old 4-speed (Ford top loader) had reverse to the left and back but I believe yours is to the right and back.

That makes my think that it is possible your transmission is not a Ford transmission, or is a newer Ford unit that has the speedometer gear on the wrong side, thereby turning the speedometer cable backwards.

Hell, I don't know, it sounded good in my head!!!!

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

Midnight Special said:
Donna if you start behaving yourself, the rest of us won't have much to look forward to here anymore.

Speaking of odometers - the speedo on my 4-spd car doesn't work and the odometer runs backwards... I've taken about 800 miles off the car since acquired. I'm sure it's something simple- haven't looked at it yet, but does anyone have suggestions? (other that don't fix until it returns to '0' ;-)

Okay I'm gonna be mildly bad here and say that I recently went on a shopping spree at Victoria's Secret. This was merely to support Don and give him job security. Oh wait, that was to support me not Don,LOL! HE gets the job security. Love those half yearly sales.

Tim, maybe if you just drove the car backwards, then the odometer will run forwards. Simple solution. TA~DAAAAA! :grin:

~~~~Smartass Donna

marie68csmustangs

Yeah, We want Donna to be her normal self.. :smile: Tim as for your car odo running backwards, sounds like something like your car would do.. Yeah, you can run it backwards but, you would have to watch it... because of the windy roads and all the deer.... :grin:

Marie

Midnight Special

Mosesatm said:
Tim, if I remember correctly that transmission has reverse on the opposite side from a normal top-loader. My old 4-speed (Ford top loader) had reverse to the left and back but I believe yours is to the right and back.

That makes my think that it is possible your transmission is not a Ford transmission, or is a newer Ford unit that has the speedometer gear on the wrong side, thereby turning the speedometer cable backwards.

Thank you Arlie, I will check on that. I know it's a Ford tranny as I had it completely rebuilt when I put the posi on last November. Not the original tho, the car came w/ a C4. Someone told me I could get some sort of gear box adaptor that could be fitted where the cable feeds into the trans. ??? I'll just have to crawl under & see.

Mustanglvr

Mosesatm said:

What kind of tranny has reverse to the left of 1st and up? A standard 4 speed?

Midnight Special

Diesel Donna said:
Okay I'm gonna be mildly bad here and say that I recently went on a shopping spree at Victoria's Secret. This was merely to support Don and give him job security. Oh wait, that was to support me not Don,LOL! HE gets the job security. Love those half yearly sales.

Tim, maybe if you just drove the car backwards, then the odometer will run forwards. Simple solution. TA~DAAAAA! :grin:

~~~~Smartass Donna

Re; the odometer, it's true! When I removed and spun the cable backwards, the speedo worked and the odo' nudged in the right direction.

I suppose I could do that "Ferris Bueler" thing & put it on jacks and run it in reverse w/ a brick on the gas pedal. 'Just have to be in a good mood tho (unlike in the movie) and not kick the car off the jacks, out the garage, thru the fence and into the neighbors yard! ...unless it manages to take out that friggen beagle of theirs that steals my cat food and waters my tires during the day!!! :-O (Sorry Rhonda;-)

Re: "Victoria's Secret" 'Nothing at all bad about supporting Don who is supporting you et-al & etc... Now Donna - all we need is for you to update your gallery accordingly and I'm sure the two of you will immensely support this website! Yeah!!

Midnight Special

Mustanglvr said:
What kind of tranny has reverse to the left of 1st and up? A standard 4 speed?

Regarding shifting pattern, mine does Rhonda, but I think Arlie was referring to the location of the speedo-cable gear box on the transmission. Is that right?

rvrtrash

Midnight Special said:
Thank you Arlie, I will check on that. I know it's a Ford tranny as I had it completely rebuilt when I put the posi on last November. Not the original tho, the car came w/ a C4. Someone told me I could get some sort of gear box adaptor that could be fitted where the cable feeds into the trans. ??? I'll just have to crawl under & see.

Some Ford 4 speeds have the speedometer cable mount on the left and some on the right, although I can't see how that would make the speedo run backwards. It sounds more like they may have mounted the gear the wrong way in the tranny. The "gear box adaptor" you are talking about is actually a speedometer gear reducer that Ford used on cars with 3.91 or 4.10 rear ends so they could use a standard gear set for the cable. I don't know of any that reversed the direction. If you happen to run across a reducer with the part number C8ZF-17294-B for a good price, let me know. I need it bad.
Steve

BroadwayBlue

Midnight Special said:
Regarding shifting pattern, mine does Rhonda, but I think Arlie was referring to the location of the speedo-cable gear box on the transmission. Is that right?

My 3-speed has reverse to the left and up.
Drove me nuts when I first got the car. I was used to first being left and up.
After a few grinds without thinking I stopped.

:cool: