• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 To Ruppstang yellow wire

Ruppstang

Yes your problem is in the back but before you take it back out I would ground the sending unit with the wire hooked up. Then check and see if it is reading, If so you need to ground the tank.

OP
OP
D

David r

Ground gas tank

Used 8 gauge wire ran wire from leaf spring shock plate to gas outlet on sending unit. Still did not work.

OP
OP
D

David r

will call CJ Pony

Will call CJ Pony tomorrow see what they say. That's were I bought gas tank and sending unit. Thanks to every one for the input. This is the 2nd time I put a gas tank and sending unit in my C.S. bought it new. Hard to believe its 50 years old. Thanks again. Lobo Casa Grande AZ.

Ruppstang

One way to save the pain of finding out you have a bad sender is before installing it in the tank ground it's frame and hook up the sender wire. Then move the float arm up and down while checking the reading on the gage.

franklinair

The circuit is looking for a Ground through the sending unit.

Either the tank is not Grounded to the frame of the car, or the sending unit is not Grounded to the tank.
BOTH MUST BE GROUNDED.

Neil

OP
OP
D

David r

Surgery

Had full hip surgery Feb 12th was in hospital for 23 days. Come home trying to fix this. I thank its time for this old man to give up. Going to call mustang repair shop. Take it to them let them do it right. Thanks for your time. When I find out what the problem is I will tell you.

OP
OP
D

David r

To Ruppstang & franklinair yellow wire

Yellow wire gas gauge problem solved. After reviewing every thang I had done. The electrical boot connector from yellow wire to sending unit Bothered me couldn't get a good ground. So removed boot replaced it with new terminal connector. Worked gas gauge good as new. Again thanks for your input.

Attachments

• DSCN0088.jpg
    DSCN0088.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0089.jpg
    DSCN0089.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 27