CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/22/2019, 06:33 AM   #1
Ricky Knapik

My Garage
Electrical problem

So I had a little problem show up Saturday night. I thought I'd post it here before the search begins. I'm sitting at a traffic light at night with the lights on and brake pedal pressed. My dash lights begin to flash. Thinking it's because I'm at ideal and maybe the alternator is not turning fast enough, I take my foot off the brake and rev it a little. (4 speed) The lights come on. My foot back on the brake, lights flickering again. I go about my evening cruise and head home. Now I start checking a little. Idling with the lights on, dash light are on and working properly. Put a stick on the brake pedal and everything seems fine. Then about 45 seconds go by and the lights start their dance. On, off! But being outside the car, I realize the brake lights, license plate light, and the front side markers are all doing the dance. Not the headlights. Hmmm! Release the brake pedal, everything is fine. Turn the head lights off, press the brake, 30-45 seconds later the brake lights are doing the dance. So it certainly is being triggered by the brake switch. I haven't even looked at a wire diagram, but seem odd for the brakes to feed back to the cluster. Any help would be appreciated!

A stampede is louder than a heartbeat!
Ricky Knapik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2019, 08:14 AM   #2
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
I would surmise that it is the added load of the 6 brake light bulbs being lit. Additionally, the turn signal switches are not near strong enough to carry the load. Common problem on the Cougars.
Changing to Plasma LED tail light bulbs, and electronic turn signal flashers is one solution.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2019, 11:02 AM   #3
390gtmustang

I love my Family

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Knapik View Post
So I had a little problem show up Saturday night. I thought I'd post it here before the search begins. I'm sitting at a traffic light at night with the lights on and brake pedal pressed. My dash lights begin to flash. Thinking it's because I'm at ideal and maybe the alternator is not turning fast enough, I take my foot off the brake and rev it a little. (4 speed) The lights come on. My foot back on the brake, lights flickering again. I go about my evening cruise and head home. Now I start checking a little. Idling with the lights on, dash light are on and working properly. Put a stick on the brake pedal and everything seems fine. Then about 45 seconds go by and the lights start their dance. On, off! But being outside the car, I realize the brake lights, license plate light, and the front side markers are all doing the dance. Not the headlights. Hmmm! Release the brake pedal, everything is fine. Turn the head lights off, press the brake, 30-45 seconds later the brake lights are doing the dance. So it certainly is being triggered by the brake switch. I haven't even looked at a wire diagram, but seem odd for the brakes to feed back to the cluster. Any help would be appreciated!
I agree with cougarcj this happened to me on my HCS and all I did was replaced my tail lights bulb with led and it fixed it.

68 HCS Brittany Blue Mustang (Mark Anthony) 68-HCS
68 390GT Pebble Beige Mustang Coupe, Highly Optioned Car (Caroline) 390-GT
68 390GT GT/CS Acapulco Blue Mustang (Sally) BB-GT-CS
68 GT500 Convertible Shelby Looking (Mark) GT-500
390gtmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2019, 02:52 PM   #4
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
+1 on the plasma LED bulbs. They draw far less current and are BRIGHT. You'll also have to replace the Flashers with Solid State types. (The original type Flashers won't function with the lower current draw.)
If you do have to replace the T/S Switch, the Scott Drake repro is the only one available that I know of ($84+/-) and the quality is questionable IMHO. If you need the tool to extract the pins from the connector, Radio Shack has them. ($10+/-)

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2019, 07:33 AM   #5
Ricky Knapik

My Garage
Thanks all! I did find a thread from about 6 years ago that Neil was involved with as well as many others regarding this topic. It was a lot of information to read. I've been super busy with work and chasing my boy playing travel ball so haven't had much time to check it out. What I did do is run it until the problem showed up. About 30 minutes at idle with the head lights and brake lights on. Once it started happening, it was pretty consistent. Since the left taillight plug has easy access, I reached in and unplugged the light and the problem stopped. Plugged it back in, and the problem reoccurred. So I'm confident LED's will correct the problem. In looking at LED bulbs at the local parts store as well as online, there are many styles to choose from. So what's everyone using? I want it to look as normal as possible!
Thanks everyone!
Ricky

Old 05/06/2019, 12:47 PM   #6
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
The Plasma LED's I used from WCCC P/N 10043 work well and are bright.
Regardless of who's LED's you use, you'll have to change the Flasher (both the T/S & Emerg) due to the lower current draw.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	23089  
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2019, 02:58 PM   #7
Ricky Knapik

My Garage
Thanks Neil!

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions