• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Electrical problem

Powell

Hoping someone here can give me some tech help on a new electrical problem.

I drove the car for a while yesterday for the first time this spring and had a crazy thing happen, when I turned the car off and took the key out, the engine continued to run. I re inserted the key and then turned if to off and it acted properly. I had a similar problem last summer when I was cranking the engine and with the key off it continued to crank. At that time i replaced the starter selenoid and things seemed to work fine..

So do you guys think I have another selenoid issue, or is it an ignition switch or ???

Thanks for any help you can be.

Ralph

franklinair

Your original problem- continued to crank with key Off, I believe WAS a stuck solenoid.
This new problem- continues to run with key Off, I would suspect the ignition switch.

Neil

robert campbell

Ignition switch from my experience. I have had another crazy sympton. Car will only run in cranking position. Release to run or on and it dies.

If the ignition switch is faulty, my guess is when you released from cranking to "on" last year, somehow it continued to apply voltage to the starter solenoid. If that happens then it would act like a stuck solenoid.

Rob

Ruppstang

I would change solenoid first. I have had the same issue and was stuck solenoid. When you are in start position it by passes the ballist resistor and sends full voltage to the points. If that contact in the solenoid welds the car will not shut off. Besides it is way easier to chang solenoids. If that does not fix it then chage the switch. These are common problems in cars that have low batterys. I learned about stuck solenoids the hard way when this car cranked and started with out the key in the ingition when I conected the battery.It is a good idea to charge the battery before your first outing each year. Marty

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Powell

Powell

Thanks to everyone for the advise, I have such great respect for all the folks on this site.

I'll get Ron on these parts soon.

Ralph

Ruppstang

Ralph,
A local auto parts store will have a solenoid unless you need a concours one. That way you could check before you order a switch.
I thought about it some this afternoon and all you need to do to test it is start the car. Remove the brown wire from the solenoid and see then if the key shuts it off.
Marty

Last edited:

Mosesatm

A wonderful tool for removing the tumbler from the base is one of the handles from a small binder clip. It's the perfect length and diameter.
Turn the key all the way to the left, pop the binder clip end in the release hole, and turn the key a little more. It should pull right out.

Attachments

• Binder Clip.jpg
    Binder Clip.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 17