• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

F-150 tow rig for the HCS

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I don't think I ever posted about the 2014 F-150 I got last year. It's a SuperCrew XLT with the 3.5L V6 twin turbo Ecoboost. And I absolutely love it! It's the only truck I've ever owned (not counting my '72 Bronco) and it drives better than most cars.

I was a bit nervous towing the Bronco for the first time, but it did great! Obviously I could feel the extra weight around town, but once on the freeway it really didn't behave any differently than without a trailer.

The Mustang should be even easier to tow. Less weight and not quite the wind catcher that the boxy Bronco is. :wink:

Attachments

• 2014-04-25 15.41.19.jpg
    2014-04-25 15.41.19.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 47

BroadwayBlue

Jon,

I have a 2012 F-150 in the same body style and color. Absolutely love it and agree with you on comparing how it drives compared to many cars.

Due for a replacement this year, probably getting and looking forward to the new aluminum 2015.

somethingspecial

Jon,

I have a 2012 F-150 in the same body style and color. Absolutely love it and agree with you on comparing how it drives compared to many cars.

Due for a replacement this year, probably getting and looking forward to the new aluminum 2015.

Rich, Think about tow vehicle weight V. Towed vehicle weight. What is the weight of the new Aluminum Body Ford? I towed an old 55 Ford truck via tow bar with my 57 Chevy Cameo once and it started to rain. I went into a slight turn at a stop sign and was only moving at about 5mph and the Ford shoved my Chevy around and jack knifed. Crushed the rear bumperette on the Chevy, No damage to the Ford. Could have been a lot worse if I had been moving a bit faster. Just something to think about. The heavier the tow vehicle, the less problems you will have. I now have a Dodge Ram 3500 dually and have been very happy towing anything I want. That Turbo Cummins engine does'nt even know there is anything behind me.

robert campbell

There is ink out there that Ford plans to introduce a 4.0 liter twin turbo Eco Boost V8 soon. What a hoot that will be.

I agree with Mike about towing near the capacity of the total weight allowed. Early in my tenor with Port Ops we needed to tow 15k 33 foot long boats. With our tidal swings the ramps are very slippery at low tide with seaweed. So we needed 4 wheel drive. None of the big three had a truck capable of doing that without stepping up to a air brakes and CDL requirements (2002). That changed a few years later and the big three had trucks that could handle this weight. But as always you need proper functioning trailer brakes. Towing a trailer is much safer than towing a vehicle with the tow vehicle being the only stopping power.

The new aluminum F-150 is only 700 pounds lighter than the steel version. But the fuel savings is much better. Unless you are towing all the time and very very near capacity loads, the fuel savings has to be considered. Most of us use our trucks as a second car also. I see no problem with the lighter duty trucks if you do not tow right up against the total capacity. Step up a level and ensure you stay away from the total a nice margin.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/07/max-towing-wars-ford-f-450-versus-ram-3500-hd-part-ii.html

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102208215#.

CougarCJ

Since this is about tow rigs.

I heard a couple of years ago that Ford was developing a 6 cylinder turbo diesel for the F-150.

Our shop truck is a 2006 Ford F-350 4x4 with a Cummins conversion, they call them Fummins. :rolleyes:

BroadwayBlue

Thanks for the tips everyone!

The 2012 I have has the twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost Engine.

For 2015 they're adding 2 new engines a 2.7L V6 EcoBoost and a 3.5L V6.

This link has the specifics and compares tow ratings for the F150 with the 2.7 against other manufacturers

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...150-2-7liter-ecoboost-v6-engine-delivers.html

ALL-NEW FORD F-150 2.7-LITER ECOBOOST V6 ENGINE DELIVERS V8 CAPABILITY AND PERFORMANCE
  • Tougher, lighter 2015 Ford F-150 welcomes two new engines to its four-engine lineup, providing choices to meet almost any customer need – from hauling tools to towing trailers
  • High-output 2.7-liter EcoBoost® with standard Auto Start-Stop broadens engine lineup by providing mid-range V8-like towing capability of 8,500 pounds, payload of 2,250 pounds, 325 horsepower, 375 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Standard 3.5-liter V6 engine with twin independent variable camshaft timing delivers impressive power and efficiency with towing of 7,600 pounds that can’t be beat, 1,910 pounds of payload, 283 horsepower and 255 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Use of high-strength steel and high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy plus smart engineering saves up to 700 pounds, improving power-to-weight ratio and allowing for gains in towing, performance and efficiency

Last edited:

robert campbell

Rich,
The technology today is amazing. One only needs to decide what they are pulling or hauling and they have you covered. This is not a response at Mike's post, but I have enjoyed the latest "submarine crashing through the ice" commercial aimed at steering buyers away from aluminum construction. I was a sheet metal guy by trade and aluminum can be used in all the same areas as steel. Much lighter and with that comes more fuel economy.

Composites and aluminum. The wave of the future. Personally I am in favor of clean diesel technology. They could repower my 1996 Ranger with a turbo diesel that would get 40 to 50 a gallon and have more power than I got now.

Once we get the big three out of the oil companies back pockets.... If that ever happens...

Rob

robert campbell

Steve,
How cool is that!!!! We can so much better with fuel economy and emissions! As soon as we break up the oil and auto industry......

Rob

CougarCJ

I wish that the Fed Govt would admit that adding ethanol was a bad idea, and remove it from gasoline.

robert campbell

+1. The cost to make ethanol from corn outweighs the benefit. But as we know they Feds do cater to the farmers a bit. Seems we can use the corn to feed ourselves and the world.

This comment should stir up some trouble.....

Rob

CougarCJ

+1. The cost to make ethanol from corn outweighs the benefit. But as we know they Feds do cater to the farmers a bit. Seems we can use the corn to feed ourselves and the world.

This comment should stir up some trouble.....

Rob

What benefit? My mileage went down 10% with ethanol. Not to mention the slow damage it is causing to the internals of all of my vehicles and lawn mower.

robert campbell

Scott,
The benefit is to claim the use of "renewable" fuel sources by the politicians........ Even if it uses more energy to refine and produce than petroleum from the earth...... What a joke.....

Burn less is the key. Better mileage via light more fuel efficient cars and trucks. Sometimes I look at the demise of our rail freight system. If the railroads were operated properly we could eliminate a ton of long haul trucks on the highway. When I was a young man in the mid 60's my Aunt and Uncle lived 100 feet from the main line of the Southern Pacific in Halsey, Oregon, a bit south of you. It was the era of "piggy back" flat bed cars that they put long haul trailers on and delivered to regional hubs. Hundreds of flat beds with around 4 trailers per flat bed.

Not to offend anybody who is a long haul driver, but a nice balance might be achievable... Doubt it will ever happen again.

Rob

BroadwayBlue

Resurrecting this old thread.

Picked up our new 2015 the other day.
It's a Lariat with the Sport Package and the 2.7 EcoBoost Engine.
Liking it a lot so far but haven't put a lot of miles on it yet.

Big jump in technology over our 2012 and well thought out as far as features and storage.

My wife and I both enjoyed our 2012 so hoping the experience with the 2015 is the same or better. So far I think it's going to be better.

My wife hates the Auto Start/Stop. I'm guessing she'll be disabling that when she's driving. :rolleyes: It does take some getting used to, but the kids love the panoramic sunroof.

Can't beat the X-plan pricing through the MCA (Mustang Club of America) either. Between that and incentives it was a big difference and no haggling.

Attachments

• 2015-06-05 11.34.04.jpg
    2015-06-05 11.34.04.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 2015-06-05 11.34.41.jpg
    2015-06-05 11.34.41.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 2015-06-05 12.22.38.jpg
    2015-06-05 12.22.38.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 2015-06-05 12.23.17.jpg
    2015-06-05 12.23.17.jpg