• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Brake disc conversion?

jamoaus

So I’ve been having brake issues on my 68 Mustang GT/CS and it looks like i need to replace all drums - front and rear.

The quote I’m getting is:

FRONT WHEEL CYLINDERS $71.90, DRUMS $209.14, TAX $26.70, LABOR $298.87, TOTAL $606.61
REAR WHEEL CYLINDERS $46.90, DRUMS $190.56, TAX $22.56, LABOR $298.87, TOTAL $558.99

So i guess the question i have, does it make sense to just replace the drums and stick with drum brakes all round, or do i go for a disc conversion? For all or maybe just the front?

Thoughts from anyone that’s converted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

franklinair

I was faced with the same situation many years ago. Bear in mind, as a young man I worked in my Dad's garage, and averaged 3 brake jobs per day. 90% of the cars were drum brakes. Disc brakes were just catching on due to the international racing influence. (Yes, I'm old enough to remember Juan Fangio & Burnem-Up-Barnes.)

If the drums are worn beyond tolerance (.030" to .060") or warped you have no choice. Replace them.

Wheel cylinders can be overhauled by honing and replacing the seals. These parts are available at parts suppliers, and the cost is fractional compared to new cylinders.

Power or no Power? I much prefer Power Brakes (but not necessarily Disc, depending on what kind of driving you do, or if you're doing concourse level).
Power Drum brakes work VERY well for normal/casual driving, city or highway. Cost is much less than converting to Power Disc brakes (front disc only, not 4 wheel disc).
NPD advertises a Power Brake Booster for drum brakes for $300+,including a new Master Cylinder. I did this conversion on a '68 Mustang several years ago, and it worked great. A lot less work & cost than converting to Disc brakes, which you really don't need unless you're running high horse power and/or road courses.
Here are a couple photos of my last drum brake overhaul.
Hope this helps.

Neil

Attachments

• 013 (2).jpg
    013 (2).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 012 (2).jpg
    012 (2).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 011 (2).jpg
    011 (2).jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
jamoaus

jamoaus

This helps a lot and thanks for your response Neil. The pics are clean and i think I’ll look into the power conversion for drum. This is a daily driver and not looking to race, so I think drums are the way to go. I’d like to do the work myself, I just don’t have the garage space and tools to do so.

Again, thanks for your response, advice and pics. Very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk