• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Smelly Car

Mosesatm

Not that I decided to get my butt off the couch and get the red car prepped for road trips I've got a couple questions for the group.
- Does anyone make an interior smell bomb that gets rid of the old-car smell?
- The car doesn't drip any oil in the garage, and it has great compression. I really don't think it burns any oil when running, but when I drive it I can smell burning oil or ATF.

There are no leaks so where do you think the smell could originate? My guess is that something is dripping on the exhaust system but I sure can't figure out where. it only smells when driving it, not when the car is in the garage, so it may be blowing back from something up front, like the transmission cooling lines.

Thanks

Arlie

stangfan

I use one of those little green pine tree air fresheners in my classic Mustangs. To me it has the perfect fragrance to go with the "old car smell". Not that my GT/CS smells bad or anything. I just like the combination. :grin:

hatchdog

I may be channeling up my inner Capt. Obvious but I find I need to tighten my valve cover bolts every so often or I get that burning oil smell while driving. :smile:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I may be channeling up my inner Capt. Obvious but I find I need to tighten my valve cover bolts every so often or I get that burning oil smell while driving. :smile:

I recently installed new gaskets but the covers may be a little bent, or the holes could be coned. I’ll check them again. I’m also going to install a PCV oil catch can to see if that helps.