• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 1968 GT/CS: Need opinions

classicsguy

I have located a 1968 GT/CS project that I might purchase and the Marti report shows is a low option Mustang: No p/s or PDB..only option is vinyl top
It’s a C -code auto.
Pros and cons of a low option GT /CS?

stangfan

Less stuff to have to fix or find correct parts for. :grin:

I consider mine low optioned as it only has the argent styled steels, power steering and an AM radio.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Thanks Steve! Very true about less stuff to fix or give headaches...
This one only has vinyl top,am radio and wheel
Covers

franklinair

I'm spoiled, and prefer the 'creature comforts', P/S, P/B, and A/T. And these do add value to the car.
Borgeson P/S easy enough to add, and adding a P/B booster (retaining drum brakes) is much less expensive than converting to disc brakes. And they work quite well for an occasional weekend driver. An A/C would be nice in Puerto Rico as well.
The downside of adding these options is losing the originality of the car.
Just my thoughts.

Neil

CougarCJ

I think that you will find that with the exception of power steering, yours is very typical for a GT/CS with a "Stock" designation on the Marti Report.

Mine has the 302-4V, auto, and power steering, but no vinyl top. When finished mine will have a color change, disc brakes, GT rear valance with dual exhaust, styled steel wheels, and a console. It will have a quality resto, but definitely, not concours. I want a nice driver, not a trailer queen. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I see no 'cons' if the body is rust free. Vinyl tops can be rust generators in the roof and around rear window. Fix it up your way. The next owner can do the concours thing if warranted.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

I think that you will find that with the exception of power steering, yours is very typical for a GT/CS with a "Stock" designation on the Marti Report.

Mine has the 302-4V, auto, and power steering, but no vinyl top. When finished mine will have a color change, disc brakes, GT rear valance with dual exhaust, styled steel wheels, and a console. It will have a quality resto, but definitely, not concours. I want a nice driver, not a trailer queen. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I see no 'cons' if the body is rust free. Vinyl tops can be rust generators in the roof and around rear window. Fix it up your way. The next owner can do the concours thing if warranted.

Thanks for the feedback Scott! Very helpful

robert campbell

Atta boy Scott!!! My personal opinion is a quality restoration of this low option car would only increase in value if you added some of the options to it. Power steering and Power disc brakes will add to its value for sure. The GT rear valance and a nice sounding dual exhaust will also add to its value. A single exhaust system is very plain jane when next to a nice sounding but not overly loud dual exhaust system. That sound is what most people want IMO.

Rob

Ruppstang

I agree adding optional equipment in a factory correct way should add value to the car.

I would only do options that can be reversed if you or a new owner would want to go back.

That said I must say that out 68 HCS with only deluxe hubcaps and a am radio is a pleasure to drive. Simple is ok, no PS oil leaks on the driveway.