• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Lack of CSs at car shows

miller511

Hey all,

I've been puzzled at how few CSs there are at the local and not-so-local car shows I've been to recently. Of the three "Mustangs only" car shows, there have only been two CSs. Why are there so few being shown?

We went to Reno, NV for the Mustangs Plus show in May. It was a nice show, but no "real" CSs!!

In Seattle (Bellevue), WA for the Mustangs North West Roundup show in July. There were more Shelby's than I have ever seen in one place. And more that 1000 Mustangs of all years. But there was only a single green CS.

At a local show here in Danville, CA. put on my the Bay Area Mustang Association (BAMA) last month. Same thing. Just one CS. (Really nice, BTW)

What's my point?

I imagined there would be more of these rare cars being shown.

I see a fair number of Shelby's and GT40's, but very few CSs. Maybe the folks who have CSs use them more as daily drivers and/or just aren't into showing them?

FYI- I do plan to (eventually) show mine after it's more complete.

390cs68rcode

I agree. You should have been at the Hooters car show near my house a few months ago.......25 cars and 2 CS's (mine). Below are 3 of my cars I had in the show. 8)

hooters.jpg

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Very nice display. A ratio of 2 out of 25 CSs is what I want to see here in Northern California!
-Jeff

Sarge

Jeff,
Good guys show in Pleasanton Aug 26-28. Any chance you will be showing? I am thinking of it, but mine is a little "rough" for the judging. Might sit in the grass though....
Robert

davidathans

There is also a lack of GTCS's out at the dragstip. I've been 1gtcs out of 400 cars many times out in Fontana.

I went to a small car show at Harpers in the San Fernando Valley and there were quite a few 60s mustangs..two green 68s, but no CS's except for mine. These cars are rare and when people see them they think shelby, especially when you've got as much power as one.

I want to pose a question:
(My paint job is getting really bad, many deep cracks, dull paint)
Say there was a small car show, would you enter the GTCS despite the flaws? or is that dishonoring to the California Special image?

Thanks,
Dave

Diesel Donna

Dave,
I have a 25 year old paint job and I've managed to scratch one of my scoops and then the top of both front fenders.I debated the same thing as you....and decided to go ahead and take her to the local cruise and I got Pick of the Night! So go for it! ;D ~~~~Donna

Diesel Donna

jbsteven...excellant Mustangs, BRAVO!

Jeff....I have always been the only GT/CS at any show I have ever gone to except Knott's Berry Farm. I always tell people: '57 Chevy's are a dime a dozen but when was the last time you saw one of these? They tell me this is the first time! I have had people compliment me on my nice Thunderbird or Cougar!! AAARRRGGGHHHH!

~~~~Donna

hookedtrout

[quote author=davidathans link=board=1;threadid=2049;start=0#msg13617 date=1124416047]

I want to pose a question:
(My paint job is getting really bad, many deep cracks, dull paint)
Say there was a small car show, would you enter the GTCS despite the flaws? or is that dishonoring to the California Special image?

Thanks,
Dave
[/quote]

My paint is faded into history and I still love cruising around in the CS and it still brings all the questions and thumbs ups. Mines been in storage for years and I've decided that dishonoring it was stuffing it in a garage and leaving it. I'm running mine paint or no paint, dings or not. And I'm loving it. ;D Paint and all that good stuff will come for now I'm just having fun with it. No local shows to go to yet but there will be a few and I'll go as long as their the local small shows, not interested in bumping with the big boys looking for big trophys just shooting the breeze.

Hook

Mustanglvr

Hi Donna,
Its nice to see another lady Mustanger here on the site. I see by your signature that your car is lime green. My GT/CS is Highland green and although green has never been my favorite color I have grown to love it because I am proud of my car and proud of the color it is. It is the original color and its beautiful.
I also have wondered if I dare put my car in a show since the paint isn`t perfect and it has no headliner in it yet and probably won`t have it in for awhile. I feel I should have the car out there though, for people to see. The other day a guy at the gas station was asking me about my car and when I was leaving he told me thank you for letting him see such a rare car and I was only there getting gas! I drive my car almost everyday and when it is parked, its like I`m at a car show. A crowd of people almost always gather round. And driving down the street is like being in a parade with people waving, giving me the thumbs up sign and yelling at the tops of their lungs "nice car!"
I feel the more we have our cars out there in the publics eye the better. They need the same recognition as the Shelby. I wish a movie maker would put a GT/CS in a movie like they did with Eleanor (a Shelby). I think it would be cool have a GT/CS as the star of a movie. Anybody remember the show KnightRider? The car he had talked. Some people think my car is as hightech as that because I have a Bulldog car alarm on mine that makes it say thank you in a mans` voice every time I start it up. It gets kinda irritating but it sure surprises people. Anyway, I am just rambling again. :)Rhonda

BTW, Nice cars Jason!

390cs68rcode

I think when the modern CS comes out it will open the eyes of people to ours. I bet you Ford will use ours in their advertising of the new ones. Cross your fingers.

Diesel Donna

Nice to meet you Rhonda! Nice to meet ALL of you! Yeah I wasn't always happy about my Lime Gold metallic but my interior is about 5 shades of green so I kept the color...I also felt that it gave it a more sixties look. I am always surprised when someone comes up and says they love the color! The other colors are such standouts!Back in about 1975 I desperately wanted a lower swoopy valance panel below my front bumper because my friend who raced a Corvette had one and I thought it would look so cool...than I thought people would think I was nuts...who knew that it would have been on it's way to being a restomod! But I kept with the stock look. Ooooohhh but when I bought it ,it was jacked up in the back, mismatched Crager rims, hood buttons replaced with tall pins and padlocks,glaspacks that I kept knocking holes in because I would drive that car where I shouldn't oughta be driving. Oh I have a ton of stories. In fact...I drove her to Minnesnowta once! I even had those little metal splash guards. At one point I felt like my car didn't measure up to everyone who had new cars so I put a bumper sticker on it that said, Don't laugh, its' paid for. I got over that thank goodness! I knew when I saw my car the very first time that I would put it back to looking like it was suppose to. And I remember the first time I saw a Shelby........Oh I also remember when I said that if gas prices reached 50 cents I would start walking. I love your thank you alarm, very funny! I should have nabbed a Whinny horn back when J.C. Whitney had them for sale, but I didn't so a few years ago I got some sound efffects tapes and I dubbed every horse sound onto a cassette. Then at a car show I'll open my doors and plug the cassette in at full volume ( I need to hook up a PA system instead). You should see the people stop and look at the car because she's neighing and snorting! Of course then I wrap it up with Mustang Sally. Always makes people smile! Okay I have rambled on too much here and gotten off the subject. So you know what? I don't care what condition your GT/CS's are in....you should show them. Here in California I always feel intimidated by the $50.000.00 show cars and that's just at a little local cruise! But I go anyhow and people still swarm the car. Especially when I put my Mustang pedal car (painted and striped to match) on the roof. I set it up there because lil kids always want to get in it. This way everyone can see it and it is safe. I set it on a small white rug and use white painted rubber door stops for wheel chocks. I connect them with a white ribbon and thumbtacks. Okay somebody STOP me...I can talk all day about my car.~~~~Donna
P.S. There is a guy who takes his 67 or so Shelby to a local cruise I go to and it is a real mess.... but it runs and the glove box is signed by Carroll so......

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Hey Robert,

I plan on going to the Pleasanton Good Guys event next weekend (Saturday). I'll drive the CS but I'm not entering it in the show. It's far from ready for that.

I'll look for your car at the show.

I'll likely enter the CS at the local show (at the California Dry Bean Festival) here in Tracy in September.

-Jeff

6t8-390gt

For anyone thinking of taking a car with dull paint or an interior needing some work, to a car show or cruise in, I say go for it.

I recently attended the East Coast Cougar Nationals and saw 2- 1968 427 GTE's. One was totally restored, and the other unrestored. They were parked side by side and I looked at each just as close. It's nice to see unrestored cars even if they have some imperfections.

I also have a 68 GT Coupe that I call "the rag" because of its current condition (needs paint, engine detailing, interior work) I take it out cruisin and to shows, someone always gives me a thumbs up or stops to talk. I tell everyone that at least I'm not standing on the sidewalk with my hand in my pockets.

68sunlitgold

Donna,
I believe you and your car were featured in an Mustang Monthly (I think that was the magazine) article some time ago....am I right? I have it in my collection.

Doug

Diesel Donna

Hey Doug...wow! Good memory but it was Mustang Illustrated, May 1998

Thanks! ;D

68gt390

As for a lack of CS's or HCS's at show's, I can attest to that. All the show's I attend here in Ohio there has only been 1 show at which I saw more than one CS and that was our all Mustang Show last year, we had 2. The startling thing that really bothers me is tonight I attended a local show and I was the only Mustang there. I have been a member of the Mustang Club of Ohio for over 4 years and have been trying to get many of the club members out to local show's with little success. Makes me wonder if we are saving these cars for future generations or are we just afraid to let other's know we do exist? Your guess is as good as mine on that?

Don ???

lwlw

We are here in Chicago and have been to about a dozen shows and there has never been another GT/CS at any of them. We still come across the people that think we have cloned a Shelby and the Cal Spec was never a "REAL" car.
As a side note - we are in a show tomorrow - hoping for good results.
THANKS!!

jc68gtcs

I'm seeing the same thing up here in Michigan.. No GT/CS's.. I attended the biggest classic car event in the country this past weekend and I'm almost sure that my CS was the only one in about 40,000 classics.. See 2005 Woodward Dream Cruise thread.

I've been taking the CS to several local shows lately and I've gotta tell you, my GT/CS isn't perfect. It is all original with some dings and scratches, but people love this car.. It's really wild to hear the comments of people that have never seen one of these. Even the looks on their faces are classic.. So I say, show em.. Who cares if they're not perfect.. I can tell you this, regardless of condition, they're a rare siteing.. I'll throw in a photo for grins..

Attachments

• 05_Dream_Cruise1.jpg
    05_Dream_Cruise1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 8

Sarge

Jeff,

I checked into registering for the Good Guys show last weekend, and pre-registration was already closed. One can register the day of the show, but I am not going to stand in line. Sooo, maybe April/May show.
Robert

Joes68

There's a lot of people in the middle of the lengthy restoration process so their cars aren't drivable. Mine is in the shop for engine/tranny rebuild so I know I've missed a few shows this summer. There is a Classic car/Ford show in Chatsworth (San Fernando Valley) on Oct 9th I'm going to with the GT/CS. The car still needs paint badly but unfortunately it'll be a while after dropping all the dough on the engine/tranny, tires/wheels. I'm still gonna take it to the shows though. I went to the mustangs in the park show earlier this year, but the car was in pretty rough shape still. Didn't expect anything, didn't get anything, but did receive some favorable comments. There was 1 other GT/CS there that looked really nice, but he wasn't competing. It seems there are a lot more informal cruises/park and show events going on these days than formal car shows. But we're out there showing them when we can!!! ;D
Ron