• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What has been the hardest part to get for your GT/CS ?

classicsguy

Even though the market is full of reproduction parts there are parts that are more difficult to get than others specially if they are NOS. For me it has been getting all the original fiberglass either used or NOS.

What has been the hardest part to get for your 1968 GT/CS/HCS?

rvrtrash

I wish they made a repop console in red, or I could find one that isn't cracked for a reasonable price.

Steve

aemoo28

A replica or rebuilt YORK a/c compressor unit. Someone out there has my stolen unit. There are parts inside the unit that are not made any more. Simply isn't replacable, and I had my insurance investigator on it as well.

The "new and improved" version is the Sanden heater core/ac unit combo.

dalorzo_f

The bracket the light mounts to that rivets into the grille. AFAIK different to the 68 GT fog bracket. The black bracket behind the fog light in this pic (snagged from the web). If you've got a pair I'm interested...

3358283322_16fe157008_z.jpg

Russ

The release cable that allows the tilt steering wheel to be released when the door is opened. The previous owner cut (#*&#@$%^) the cable on this car, and no one has this!! Russ

CougarCJ

The release cable that allows the tilt steering wheel to be released when the door is opened. The previous owner cut (#*&#@$%^) the cable on this car, and no one has this!! Russ

Contact Steve, I heard that he was making those cables, he also repairs tilt columns.

steven.liebenow@att.net

whodat

Black wrinkle tape/overlayment to go on my new right a/c vent. They make the aluminum and woodgrain, but I haven't seen the black.

franklinair

I have the black wrinkle piece you need. PM me your address, and its yours.

Neil

PS: do you need the 2 smaller pieces for the center register?

robert campbell

The bracket the light mounts to that rivets into the grille. AFAIK different to the 68 GT fog bracket. The black bracket behind the fog light in this pic (snagged from the web). If you've got a pair I'm interested...

3358283322_16fe157008_z.jpg

I have some. I will post a pic.

Rob

hcsstang

When restorning my car the dashpad was fadded black when it was supposed to be red. I purched a repo one and for the new ones the texture is to rough. So they get me on that feature. They say live and learn.

Doug

Amy part that is the same as what the 68 Shelby gys want. When I was looking for a idler arm for a big block car - I iwas told it could not be found and if I did find one it would be 1K. I found one by accident at a friends shop and the guy would take a dime.

aemoo28

On the compressor not sure if this is relevant or not...

Thank you for checking.

I meant the entire a/c unit is incomplete now to reorder as certain parts are no longer made. I will go back to my papers to point out which items I speak of. The many distributors I spoke to said there really are no compatible parts, that people are switching to the new more efficient models ie Sanden.

And my unit was cast iron (had to disassemble to remove it from car-it was THAT heavy) with "York" stamped into it. Why am I reading in your references that York made the aluminum unit?