• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What has been the hardest part to get for your GT/CS ?

Mosesatm

Again, not GT/CS specific, but try finding a new brake residual pressure valve.

Scott's store sells rebuild kits, another site sells rebuilt units, and there are numerous aftermarket valves, but I don't know of anyone that sells correct new units.

Attachments

• 1233198687-brake.jpg
    1233198687-brake.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 48
  • VAlve.jpg
    VAlve.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 35

BroadwayBlue

Not a major part but the hardest to find part for me is the shoulder belt retainer that holds the shoulder belt up on the headliner.

I don't see these offered anywhere for 68's.

Luckily a member of this site had a set that they sent me.

miller511

One elusive part- I still cannot find aqua/turquoise window crank knobs. I have three that are aqua and one that is darker blue.

-Jeff

franklinair

The knobs can be dyed (NPD lacquer P/N AP5752 light aqua). When the paint is cured (I use a heat lamp) the knob can be pressed into the handle, using a thick/soft cloth to protect the paint on the knob. I press the knobs in using a vise to gently press the ribbed retainer stud into place.

Neil

miller511

Thanks Neil,

I've avoided the dye process I think because I'm not convinced how it will turn out. Guessing you and others have done this on knobs??? Would you start with a clear knob?? And does the dye soak in? Or does it look more like paint?

Any tips on what process works best?

-Jeff

franklinair

Perhaps my term of 'dyed' is misleading for hard surface materials such as metal, plastics, etc. The knobs can be spray painted using a lacquer base aerosol paint. NPD's colors have been found to be very close to original.
"does it look more like paint?" That's a matter of opinion. I've painted numerous items, and they look good to me. Take a look at the photos of my Highland Green CS interior: the console is painted, the dash is painted, the steering wheel pad is painted, and the headliner is dyed. All turned out the correct Nugget Gold- and look new.
If you opt to paint the door handle knobs, I would start with new,light colored knobs. (Light color bases cover easier without having to apply too much paint. I would suggest Parchment as a base color.)

Neil

nates68

I also cant find a shoulder belt retainer to hold mine up on the headliner need a pair.

thankyou for any help.

nates68

CougarCJ

I also cant find a shoulder belt retainer to hold mine up on the headliner need a pair.

thankyou for any help.

nates68

Safety pin looking thingee?

Shoulder Harness Seat Belt Hook - Used

We sell them used right or lefts.

Jschoony

Pedestal and trunnion for mounting Marchal lamps. I can’t even find the specs or I would have them made. Any ideas??

CaliStang68

Pedestal and trunnion for mounting Marchal lamps. I can’t even find the specs or I would have them made. Any ideas??

You realize this post is from 2011? Sadly a lot of the parts are still hard to get though. LOL!

franklinair

Delta Bay makes the Marchal brackets. You have to modify a '67 grill.

Neil

Mosesatm

We recently had a thread about this. I’ll look for it later today.