• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Restomod GT/CS for You?

P

PNewitt

As I read the December 2005 issue of "Mustangs & Fords", I've noticed that they are heavily into this "restomod" thing. I think that it's driven from a writing/editorial standpoint, since they've apparently run out of restoration material to work from. How many times can you show how to fix a cowl, or re-do your seats? I find that this restomod thing is going too far, and Mustangs are losing their heritage as we know it, from some of the mods I've seen in this mag.

My question is how you all feel about this idea of "restomod" ? Is it a good idea for YOUR GT/CS, or will it always be beyond the realm of concours type ownership?

Since the GT/CS is, for the most part, a factory "Shelbyized" Mustang, do you feel that it's a candidate for more modifications?

Would you only do engine and suspension mods that you can't really see? What about rack 7 pinion, and custom wheels? Do you feel that a GT/CS (or HCS) is a good car to begin with to modify--more than a stock Mustang?

I understand about rarity, and preserving originality. But what kind of ideas are "rumbling" in your head about possible modifications? Would you do them?

For example, for my 390 4-sp., I'm planning to use the Edelbrock FE heads, and a '68 Shelby Sidewinder intake; use the "CS-Shelby" FE valve covers, and oval air cleaner. I want to add a Hurst shifter, too, and weld the stock shifter to the Hurst linkage. I want to add Shelby 5-spoke wheels with the "CS" centercaps, and that's about it. I'm considering a Global West front suspension, and maybe a Green Hornet type rear (bolt in) rear suspension. This is my car--so I'm not too concerned about total originality--although all the parts I'm using can be unbolted in a week or so, and I still have all the original parts.

Your thoughts?

Thanks-- Paul.

Mustanglvr

I guess I would look at it as making a restomod out of a Shelby. The Eleanor clone was pretty cool, but they did`nt do that to a real Shelby. I would change the GT/CS to be more comfortable, stable and more powerful but I really would`nt do anything to it to change the way it looks on the outside. I am somewhat of a purist and would suggest leaving such a rare car alone in that respect, but to each his own. If a person is using a GT/CS for an everyday driver then I can see doing some updates.

rvrtrash

I did a few engine mods (cam, headers, intake) and put the GT wheels on, but it all could be removed rather quickly and returned to stock. I could see doing a full restomod on some rusted out hulk, just to save it, but not on something that someday will be more fully appreciated (when Paul's book comes out) and is as rare as ours. Go get a rusty 68 coupe, do the CS treatment, rack and pinion, coil overs, remove shock towers for the 4.6 and maybe install the retractable hardtop mod. Then you have the best of all worlds.
Steve

joedls

I'm installing a blown 302 in my "C" code GT/CS. I'm also rebuilding the original motor and keeping it stored, in case I ever want to go back to original. The only other mods are the American Racing wheels and the sound system. I like the stock look with the aftermarket wheels, so I won't modify it anymore.

Oh, someone installed '67 taillights before I purchased it. I kind of like the look, so I kept them. I did install LED sequential lights, though.

nfrntau

I'm in the restomod crowd. My car is being built for me to enjoy and drive. I am keeping all of the original parts and if some time in the future I desire to take it back to 100% stock. I could do so in a few weekends.
My goal is to make a fun car that looks cool and sounds great. I'm not into the 1/4 mile thing anymore although I plan on having enough get up and go to feel it in the seat of your pants.
Heres the newest photo.
What do you think?

Attachments

• Monster_Mustang.jpg
    Monster_Mustang.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

WOW

I'm not sure which is more impressive--your off-road tire, or your pallet system to raise the unibody off the ground!

Paul N.

p51

I'm also in the "mild restomod" club. My take is to "make it look '68 but drive '98". So, I dont change the looks of the car (why fool with perfection) but I have added performance (5-spd, upgraded suspension) and safety features (front disc brakes, headrests). I also have kept all the old parts so that I can undo most of the changes if needed. If you do drive your car even any reasonable amount I would strongly recommend changes at least for safety. When I was changing from drum brakes :p to front disc I mentioned to the mechanic that I was having second thoughts - "I know I have front drums so I'll drive with that in mind and give a lot of space to the car in front". His response was "Yes, but others dont know this and these days are more likely to cut in front of you with the expectation that your car can stop like a modern car. Most people dont have a concept of what its like to drive with drums brakes and expect you to have about the same stopping distance as they do". If you make one change to your car I would suggest front disc brakes for safety...

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I totally agree with the disc brake upgrade. Very good point!

(we also need to talk about gas tanks, sometime, too)

My second question, is whether "vintage Shelby" (whether original, or repro) parts that were available in '68, would be regarded in the same way as dealer-installed options?

This would include intakes, valve covers, wheels, engine internal parts, headers, emblems, traction bars, bellhousings, etc., labeled with either "Cobra", "Shelby", or "CS Shelby" on them.

If SAAC, or some other regarded source could "prove" that these parts could have been aquired by a Ford dealer, and installed on your GT/CS (or other Mustangs in late '68), would you consider that "OK" ?

thanks--
Paul N.

rvrtrash

I thought about your latest question for quite a bit Paul. Keep in mind I was only 10 when my car was built so I'm looking at this from a "now" perspective so some assumtions may be wrong. While I like the looks of the Cobra valve covers, air cleaners, wheels, etc. I don't think they would ever be considered stock for our cars. Since Ford was building the Shelby in '68, all the parts you mentioned would probably be available, but if a buyer was willing to buy them extra and pay a Ford mechanic to install them, he'd (or she) be in the car as much as a Shelby so why not just buy the Shelby to start with. Changing a lot of engine stuff around would probably kill your warranty, even in '68 besides. Just my opinion.
Steve

Mosesatm

I agree with P51, "why fool with perfection" but I also think the GT/CS look falls just a little short of perfection. It seems to me that the designers ran out of money or inspiration when they got to the front of the car. We have all these great fiberglass parts on the rear and sides of the car but just a couple fog lights on the front. IMHO Green Hornet is the perfect Mustang but installing a full '68 Shelby front end is not an easy task. I've been kicking around the idea of possibly adding a '67 Shelby "short" hood and a TASTEFULL air dam.

jk89cat

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=2353;start=0#msg16373 date=1131410326]
keep 'em original!

restomod a common Mustang into a CS clone and then put the other restomod stuff.
[/quote] thats why iam am doing just that to a 67 coupe, i dont take away the orginal to make a hot rod out of it . but mines such a stripped out bucket anyhow, im doing it a favor anyhow

Mosesatm

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=2353;start=0#msg16384 date=1131424984]
WOW

I'm not sure which is more impressive--your off-road tire, or your pallet system to raise the unibody off the ground!

Paul N.
[/quote]

Believe me, it took more work to get that #&%$ tire and wheel up there than it did to raise the entire car!!!

68sunlitgold

Did you have to raise the car a little at a time and then but the pallets under it? What ever way you did it...very impressive.

Doug