• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Marchal lights

franklinair

I'm looking for a photo of Marchal lights installed on the GT/CS grill. I'm installing a pair on my Black CS, and they seem to point too much downward even when fully tilted upwards. Normal?

Neil

Mosesatm

That could be correct since fog lights in general are supposed to light the road directly in front of the car.

Mosesatm

Mine point down. Never noticed that before.

Attachments

• ED3467BF-D7DE-4C2C-81F6-AAD4100FA386.jpg
    ED3467BF-D7DE-4C2C-81F6-AAD4100FA386.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 22

Ruppstang

I would not worry too much what they look like on the car. What is important is where they are aimed. The is a page in the service manual that tell how to set the light patterns.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I'll check out the aiming process tomorrow.
I'm kinda disappointed with the original Marchal installation: its rinky-dink to me. Too much flex in the bracket pop riveted to a thin gage metal grill. Not one of Ford's great engineering feats IMHO.
I was trying to accomplish a more rare configuration, but between the cost of a CS grill & Marchal Lights, I think it was a poor decision on my part. In hindsight, the Lucas configuration is far better. Live & learn.

Neil

CougarCJ

They look like they point down, because they are hooded. Meaning the top extends over the lens. Makes it look like an illusion.

Ruppstang

I'll check out the aiming process tomorrow.
I'm kinda disappointed with the original Marchal installation: its rinky-dink to me. Too much flex in the bracket pop riveted to a thin gage metal grill. Not one of Ford's great engineering feats IMHO.
I was trying to accomplish a more rare configuration, but between the cost of a CS grill & Marchal Lights, I think it was a poor decision on my part. In hindsight, the Lucas configuration is far better. Live & learn.

Neil

I have not had a GT/CS with the Marchals but the standard Ford GT lights are great. It makes me wonder if the reproduction stuff is lighter gage.

robert campbell

They look like they point down, because they are hooded. Meaning the top extends over the lens. Makes it look like an illusion.

Scott,
I agree. Personally I have always liked the look of the Marchal lights over the Lucas. They seem to fit the grill opening better and with the grill bracket they seemed more solid and did not look like an ad on. My opinion only!!!!

Rob

BigJim

Got to love the look!
b4f4a0e1a491f781fdca1e8a5f679c95.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1968Cally

My Marchal Lights

Pictures attached. Mine do not seem to point down. I have aimed them a little lower than the low beams. Honestly, I do not use them as I don't drive it in the fog:icon_lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 20

robert campbell

Dave,
Every time I see your car I think of my GNS that I sold. These two cars were so similar in paint and trim and both very loaded. Both were prior to the reveal for the GT/CS in California. Both have recessed reflectors. Both had black out hood treatment. Both had Marchals.

You have a very early GT/CS. Amazing how similar these cars were. My old one was built on January 2nd and has always been a mystery as it does not carry the California Special option on the Marti report. It was 8R01J123143. Its Marti is in the Marti page.

Rob

1968Cally

Rob,

I think you may know that my car has a factory voided VIN of 131680 as per the attached that someone here sent me - Just can't remember who.

I am not sure how the GNS cars fit in with the GT/CS cars I see your GNS on the sheet that i took the snip from. The paint code on yours is Y5 and mine is just Y. Was the Y5 the same paint as the Sunlit Gold Y? Or was it a slightly different shade of gold for the GNS cars? Could GNS cars also be California Specials? Did Marti Reports show them as Gold Nugget Specials as they did for the CS cars? Was GNS an extra cost option like the CS cars.

I must admit my knowledge is lacking on the GNS cars.

Dave

Attachments

• Cally Vin.jpg
    Cally Vin.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 28

robert campbell

Y5 means it had hood stripes.

Dave,
I was not aware of the VIN controversary on your car. That is very interested and it makes me wonder if your car was pulled after completed and later converted to a GT/CS on the San Jose line as mine may have been. And your car may have been on the stage. There was at least one gold colored car on the stage.

Arlie is correct as usual! I have found the Marti report in this area a bit lacking. Or it was over looked back in the day by Ford. My car was not Sunlit gold as stated on the Marti report. It was Anniversary Gold which is a browner "gold" color next to Sunlit. This color is mentioned in the first GT/CS registry. And also tied to the premise that a few GT/CS cars were shipped to the Seattle DSO 74 market. This was also stated in the first registry book. There is another GT/CS built on 4 January after my 2 January car. I talked to the old owner and is was also painted Anniversary Gold originally. Both cars are very early builds and may have been pulled from the line after they were ordered but converted in San Jose into GT/CS cars. My car had all original GT/CS fiberglass except for the left side scoop.

Anyway we have been down this road on other threads, and I apologize for hijacking this thread.

The above could be an interesting topic to start a new thread on.

Rob

1968Cally

Dave,
I was not aware of the VIN controversary on your car. That is very interested and it makes me wonder if your car was pulled after completed and later converted to a GT/CS on the San Jose line as mine may have been. And your car may have been on the stage. There was at least one gold colored car on the stage.

Arlie is correct as usual! I have found the Marti report in this area a bit lacking. Or it was over looked back in the day by Ford. My car was not Sunlit gold as stated on the Marti report. It was Anniversary Gold which is a browner "gold" color next to Sunlit. This color is mentioned in the first GT/CS registry. And also tied to the premise that a few GT/CS cars were shipped to the Seattle DSO 74 market. This was also stated in the first registry book. There is another GT/CS built on 4 January after my 2 January car. I talked to the old owner and is was also painted Anniversary Gold originally. Both cars are very early builds and may have been pulled from the line after they were ordered but converted in San Jose into GT/CS cars. My car had all original GT/CS fiberglass except for the left side scoop.

Anyway we have been down this road on other threads, and I apologize for hijacking this thread.

The above could be an interesting topic to start a new thread on.

Rob
Rob,
Thanks. I was told in another thread mine could have been a "stage" car. But, I did not see any Sunlit Gold cars in the Paul Newitt book so I sort of discounted it. And yes, my paint code is a Y5 as noted above as it does have the black hood stripes and they are listed on the Marti.

Dave

robert campbell

Dave,
His third book had a bunch more pics or the debut and in color. I thought there was a gold one in one of the shots. I may be mistaken.

Rob