• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How do you identify 302 California Special heads from normal 302 heads

I have a question, I hope someone can help me with. I recently purchased a set of 1968 ford 302 heads and matching 4 barrel intake and carb. Supposedly the heads are gone thru and ready to bolt on. I purchased the heads because they have a pipe plug port above the exhaust port and a tube running down to the valve. The gentlemen that I purchased them from said that they are off a 1968 California Special Mustang. I purchased a 71 Maverick Grabber from him which was stored for 23 years, and I purchased all of his ford parts.
I am no expert on this subject and look forward to a reply. I have no use for these heads, I mean I could use them, but I'm sure someone restoring a 68 California Mustang could put them to better use.
thank you,
Michael Carlson

joedls

There was no special engine for a GT/CS. If it had a 302 from the factory, it was just like all the other 302s put into Mustangs.

Mustanglvr

Would`nt they have correct date codes on them or is that only on the block?

Mosesatm

Those sound like heads for a manual transmission car with smog equipment.

OP
OP
M
Thank you for the reply. I will get a photo of the heads and all of the identifing serial numbers. I agree it must have something to do with the smog equipment. Didnt all California Specials have the smog equipment ????
I dont know much about this, but I have never seen heads like this.

Mosesatm

Thank you for the reply. I will get a photo of the heads and all of the identifing serial numbers. I agree it must have something to do with the smog equipment. Didn't all California Specials have the smog equipment ????
I dont know much about this, but I have never seen heads like this.

The GT/CS option was cosmetic only so under their hoods they are ordinary Mustangs.

In '68 only the manual transmission Mustangs had smog pumps and tubes. There is no such thing as "California Special" heads.

There was another funky looking 302 head in '68 but we probably don't want to go there until you post your pictures.

robert campbell

Michael,
First if they are matched with a 4 barrel manifold, then the Heads with have "302 4V" cast in the rocker arm area. Very large (about 3/4 of an inch) letters. The casting number should start with “C8” “C” denoting the decade of the 60’s and the “8” denoting 1968. If you look closer there should be actual casting dates. Usually 3 to 4 number letter combination. If you provide that, we can tell about what day and month they were casted. Many people get caught up in these dates and say they should be very close the cars date down the assembly line, but many time they were casted way in advance of actual car production.

If they are 302 4-barrel heads, they have some value to any restoration person going for concourse. The smog stuff has widely been throw away over the years. The heads have small combustion chambers (53 CC) I think. When installed on a 302 block they produce a 10.5 to one compression ratio. Engine jumps to 230 hp that year. So all and all they are an odd and desirable head. But not just to GT/CS owners. Stock Mustangs, Cougars, and 68 GT 350 Shelby’s would use that head. The Casting number does denote the car family, but I have experienced that not to be accurate.

Provide all the numbers and we can help you.

Rob

OP
OP
M
Here are the numbers off the heads
#'s inside of the valve cover area buy the valve springs
302 4v 7L27
#'s on the bottom of the head are as follows
F 19 302 C80E D
One head has a 32 & 15 by the exhaust port
One head has a 31 & 3 by the exhaust port
The 4 barrel intake has the following #'s
C8ZE 9425 A K
7L28
I hope this helps in identifing these. The heads have the valve covers and the rocker arms on them. These must be the adjustable rockers?
Thank you for your help.

robert campbell

Michael,
To the best of my knowledge the date code (7L27) decodes into November 27 1967. The C80E-D is a 1968 model year (1968 model year starts in October of 1967) head and the 302 4V confirms it is the 4 barrel head. Intake was cast a day later on the 28th of November.

All and all nice pieces for someone restoring a 1968 4V 302 built after those dates. Whether in a Mustang, Cougar, or Shelby GT-350. More than likely the car they came out of was built much later, as the engines were normally casted much earlier than the build date of the car.

Rob

OP
OP
M
Rob,
Thank you for the reply. How does all of the smog tube set up work. Can they be eliminated and used as a normal head. Or in your opinion should I leave them alone and not alter them. Does the smog set up make them worth more. What is a good set of heads and intake worth in your opinion. I am not into buying and selling parts alot. I stumbled on these, it was kind of a barn find.
I have never seen this set up before.
Does the smog set up pertain to only California cars, I mean 1968 was four years before the government regulation kicked in. What do you know about this?????
I will have a local shop freshen the heads up, before I use them.
I checked out your cars, very Nice.
thanks,
Michael

robert campbell

Michael,
I would leave the smog stuff on them. They can be eliminated if you want. The common method in the early years was nothing more than plugs in the exhaust runner area. With something odd like this it is hard to predict what they are worth. They used to be a performance upgrade, but with all the new aluminum stuff and the people porting stock stuff they are not desirable as a performance piece. You need to find a concourse guy. I guess what the market will bear. The use of smog stuff in 1968 seem to be California only. Again, to the best of my knowledge.

Rob

@Holmes

I spent alot of time on this issue while tying to restore and found the following:

1. All 68 4sp 3spd cars had smog. Period..... I had to do alot of research on this issue. Phone calls internet ect. If its a 68 and manual then it should have smog or as Robert said it was removed. It does not matter what plant produced the car. Ford phased in the the up and comming 69 regs by tooling the manuals with smog. Alot of people would just pull automatic heads or plug the smog ports.
2. The smog parts that go with these heads are hard to find and very expensive. $1,500 + if you can find it. Been down that road.

Sooo you need a manual car for a correct application. This is not common knowldge and you will find all kinds of knowledgeable people who will dispute this. Every time I see a Shelby or Mustang 4spd for sale its the first thing I look at. If its missing I start to look at what else has been modified.

OP
OP
M
Holmes,
Thank you for your reply. When you say $1500 for the parts that go with these heads, What are you refering to. This heads that I have, still have the tubes in the heads. But there are plugs in the ports on the out side. Or are you referring to the external smog stuff that hooks up externally.

CougarCJ

I spent alot of time on this issue while tying to restore and found the following:

1. All 68 4sp 3spd cars had smog. Period..... I had to do alot of research on this issue. Phone calls internet ect. If its a 68 and manual then it should have smog or as Robert said it was removed. It does not matter what plant produced the car. Ford phased in the the up and comming 69 regs by tooling the manuals with smog. Alot of people would just pull automatic heads or plug the smog ports.
2. The smog parts that go with these heads are hard to find and very expensive. $1,500 + if you can find it. Been down that road.

Sooo you need a manual car for a correct application. This is not common knowldge and you will find all kinds of knowledgeable people who will dispute this. Every time I see a Shelby or Mustang 4spd for sale its the first thing I look at. If its missing I start to look at what else has been modified.

Absolutely correct!
The only exception being those manual transmission cars with Export DSO's.

My 1968 Cougar XR7 was a DSO 91 car with 3 speed stick, IMCO emissions only.

Several of the small block thermactor parts bring pretty good money. The pump, pump pulley, and the Carter canister anti backfire valve with part number C8OE-C. All cross over to the 390 and 428CJ engines.

The 1968 302 smog pump adjusting bracket is also the same as 1969 Boss 302.

A person searching out a complete system will pay good money for a complete system. Unfortunately, most small block owners do not go to the same extreme as FE owners. Plus there were lots of 3 speed small block cars that were built and can readily supply parts.

@Holmes

Parts would include the tubes and ferral nuts that hold the tubes in place plus all the items mentioned. What you are going to find is that the machine shop will want the tubes removed and due to rust & carbon one of those tubes is going to get twisted or broken. Or one of the ferral nuts is not going to come out and it will get bent or damaged ( these are very hard to find, the replacements do not fit as well). Soo take youer time and be carefull. Knowing all this in advance I still managed to lose two ferral nuts and one tube.
Now the fun part is trying to find someone to fabricate a tube for you and then trying to make it refit once the heads are redone.
Then slowly the thought sneaks into your mind "I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH THOSE AFR HEADS!"

Mustanger

... Then slowly the thought sneaks into your mind "I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH THOSE AFR HEADS!"

That's funny :rofl: ... but seriously, if aftermarket heads are not in your grand scheme of things, maybe better Ford 302 heads are (e.g., Cobra heads, P-heads, X-heads, 351W heads, etc.) :wink: ...